collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
That was a good job too, all I had to do when a lady came in to try on a pair of shoes was just to lace up her laces. But the boss fired me there, said I got above my job - Chris Bouchillon, Born In Hard Luck

Author Topic: What Do You Think Of Those Imported Guitars?  (Read 3421 times)

Toby Walker

What Do You Think Of Those Imported Guitars?
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:03:01 AM »
OP decided to delete this post
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:15:08 AM by Toby Walker »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
Re: What Do You Think Of Those Imported Guitars?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
we have a Recording King RM 991 metal resonator in our band. Lend us a National and we'll do a comparison test for you ;)

Toby, I guess this is following on from the discussion about resonators where it was recommended to save a bit longer for the National, and while i agree with that in principle ... well this guitar is earning it's keep and I can't say that about all the guitars I've played.

Offline modgar

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
Toby,
As it just so happens, I played a couple of the guitars on your list yesterday.  Without going into too much, for the most part I was interested in the feel of them rather than how they sounded.  Played the Recording King RNJ-16 and while I liked the sound of it, for me it was a little too deep in the body.  Also, I played a Loar LH-200 and a LO-16 and preferred the LO-16.  I know that's not much help to you.

The one you might be interested to know, that on Loars and Recording Kings laminate guitars, Greg Rich wrote that they have plies of lighter wood such as poplar/basswood.  Here's a link:

http://theunofficialblueridgeguitarforum18213.yuku.com/topic/7107/I-ve-escaped-from-my-padded-cell-so-ask-your-questions-now?page=3

Post #24.

Thanks, for putting up that page of your guitars with the sound samples, I refer to it every so often.

Gary

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
A good US-made guitar is better than the very best Chinese equivalent I think. More expensive, yes. But it's worth saving a few more months. This is just in my opinion.

Over the last 6 years I've had the opportunity to compare some "pick of the litter" Chinese instruments with their US siblings. It's hard to not like the materials, quality and aesthetics coming out of the East, and they do rock when you play them. But tone, volume and playability (not necessarily in any order) trump all that.

With respect to my list of priorities, and why US-made rules in my house,

1. Tone. No contest, buy local.
2. Volume. See 1.
3. Playability. Close, but I still prefer US-made after extended analysis.

With respect to a point yet to be made,

Consistency. I have noticed that there are a lot of dud Eastern instruments for every one that warrants taking home. This means, to me, you absolutely should play several examples of the same model and pick the one that's the best. Actually, thinking about it, that applies to any mass-produced guitar, including yer Gibsons, Guilds, Martins, Gretschs, etc.

I guess I'm saying it's not possible to say with any confidence "buy such and such a brand & model", particularly with imported guitars. Build a shortlist of models, and play as many as you can get your hands on, buy the best one, and do a review so we know what's potentially hot.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:19:22 AM by Rivers »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »
Don't forget the Canadian makers. I have a Ted Thompson guitar that's a fine instrument.

Offline Chun

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:42:30 AM »
I just recently had to "restructure" my banjo and guitar collection. I sold my Martin 00-28vs and replaced it with a Recording King R0-126...it's the 000, mahogany, herringbone model. Now...granted, I was very weary of doing this but circumstance at the time dictated this move.
I have to say...The recording King is a GREAT little guitar. For the money...you will not beat it. $600 with hard shell case. I do miss my old guitar....but truthfully...not that much. I am very impressed with Recording King.

Offline JumboJack

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
I've had good experiences with imports, but still prefer vintage player guitars when I can
find a good one inside the budget.

I have a Recording King ROS-626 000-18 copy that is a cannon. The neck is wider than I like, but the tone is great.

I tried out a Loar LO-16 which was very nice for the price, too...but not a keeper.

I think some of the Eastmans like the E10-OM are very high quality as well.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:58:26 AM »
My main player is a mid-90s Takamine copy of a D-28. Works well for me, but still not a Martin
That's all she wrote Mabel!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal