collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm old enough to know you can't close your mind to new ideas - John Goodenough, a 94-year-old professor at the University of Texas at Austin

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79789 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: New John Miller Website
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2015, 06:21:49 AM »
Hi Eddie,
There are some complete transcriptions--Robert Petway's "Catfish Blues", Reese Crenshaw's "Trouble", John Hurt's "Talking Casey", Mance Lipscomb's "Casey Jones", Buddy Moss's "Tricks Ain't Walkin' No More", Joe Harris's "Baton Rouge Rag" and a couple of others, but they are the exceptions.  For most songs, transcriptions include intros, outros, solos, and depending on how much the player varies the accompaniment over the course of the song, one to three verses.  Most accompaniments don't vary enough from one pass through the form to the next to justify complete transcriptions, and some players, like Tommy Johnson, played each verse accompaniment very, very close to all of the others, a real set piece.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:49:31 AM by Johnm »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »
Eddie, I would just add that the transcriptions are meticulous, and the mp3 talk-throughs unsurpassed. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Johnm. That sounds like more than enough is transcribed to me. I have been let down in the past by a few transcriptions that were only partial songs. They had complete sections missing. However, I do not need every verse transcribed if they hardly differ. I will be in contact hopefully in the near future Johnm. :)

Also, thanks for the recommendation Prof Scratchy.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »
Thanks very much for the good words, Prof Scratchy, and I hope to do a lesson for you soon, Eddie.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 12:34:19 PM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know about a new feature I've added to my website, at:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  It is a "Song of the Month", which I will be offering at a special introductory rate of $35.00 for a lesson, including TAB and detailed technical talk-throughs.  The first song, which I'll be offering from September 25 through October 31, 2015 at this special rate is Scrapper Blackwell's "E Blues", from his 1961 album, "Mr. Scrapper's Blues".  It is a terrific piece, and I have transcribed Scrapper's performance of it from beginning to end.  I'm relatively certain this song has never been made available this way before, and I wanted to offer interested folks a chance to learn it.  I intend to make the "Song of the Month" an ongoing feature at my website, and will offer a different song for November.  You can go to the link for more information on how to order the lesson.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
Cool idea Johnm and a cool song to introduce "Song of the Month" (hmm, sounds familiar for some reason).  Dunno if this is the version you are working from, but this was on youtube, a terrific tune.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2015, 12:59:07 PM »
Yes, that's the tune, Slack.  I guess I didn't look hard enough for it!  Thanks for posting that.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Kadens

• Howdy!
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2015, 06:47:58 AM »
Good idea with song of the month!
So far, I have only spent a couple of hours with the E-blues tab + lesson.
Still, I dare to say that if you like Scrapper Blackwell this tab will indeed make you happy  :).

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »
Hi all,
I just wanted to remind fans of Scrapper Blackwell that I'm offering his "E Blues", a video of which can be listened to a couple of posts back, as a "Song of the Month" at my website, at http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  The lesson is for a reduced rate of $35.00, and teaches the entire piece, with intro and seven passes through the form by Scrapper.  In addition to a TAB transcription of the piece, you receive detailed talk-throughs of the entire piece.  You can either do a virtual lesson, receiving the TAB as a .pdf attachment to an email and the talk-throughs as .mp3 attachments, or can get hard copy for the lesson, for $7.00 additional, to cover mailing and copying costs. 

As far as I know, this piece has never been made available elsewhere, and it will be offered at this rate only through the remainder of October.  In November, I'll offer a different Song of the Month, also at the reduced rate.  For folks who are interested in immersing themselves in one of Scrapper's really big post-rediscovery pieces and developing a greater familiarity with his style, I think this is a good opportunity.  If you go to the link above, it will tell you how to order the lesson.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline ScottN

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »
Hi all,

I just wanted to give this a positive review. The level of detail in the transcription and in the playing lesson are fantastic - any regular readers of What Is This Musician Doing know the attention to detail John provides in his analysis and his ear and experience catch a lot of things that most people wouldn't pick up on their own.  Beyond the physical transcription, there are over 45 minutes of phrase by phrase talk through lessons that walk you through each pass with playing techniques and options, fingering suggestions, etc.

The song itself is also a great choice for lots of unique playing in an E blues. I personally have a couple of new favorite things that Scrapper does over the IV chord A that are really cool.

Anyway, if you've never tried one of John's lessons, this is a great one to try out and is, in my opinion, a great bargain for a full song transcription and incredibly high level instruction.

Thanks,
           Scott

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know about the "Song of the Month" lesson which I am offering for the month of November at my website.  The song I'm offering for November, 2015 is Robert Petway's "Catfish Blues", recorded in Chicago in 1941. It is a terrific piece, certainly on many Country Blues fans' "Top 10" list of greatest blues ever recorded. I have transcribed Robert Petway's performance from beginning to end, intro and four verses. For this song, I have made indications on the TAB of where the vocal falls relative to the guitar accompaniment, too, and one of the talk-throughs you receive with the lesson deals specifically with the vocal and how each verse is phrased.  Here is Robert Petway's performance of the song:

For more information on the lesson and to find out how to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html
For $35.00, you receive complete TAB and a very thorough technical talk-through of the song.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:59:00 PM by Johnm »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2015, 03:02:14 AM »
This is a great song and a great lesson. It's a performance everyone knows but very few people play in this arrangement. Highly recommended!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »
Great tune and not an easy one to figure out on one's own. Well worth $35.! Good luck with it John.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »
Thanks for the good words, Prof and Phil.  You're right, too, Phil, it was not easy to figure out--the way Robert Petway used his left hand makes perfect sense, but some of what he plays is counter-intuitive if gauged against what one is accustomed to playing.  Doing the song with the singing makes all the difference in the world.  It is one of the most fun songs to sing in the style that I've ever done.  Just recording the talk-throughs and doing the singing put me on a high for over an hour.  Something about the song just winds you up, it's so exciting.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:00:57 PM by Johnm »

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
Thanks John for doing the lesson. It has been extremely helpful.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal