collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
So I asked him to play "Trav'lin' All Alone." That came closer than anything to the way I felt. And some part of it must have come across. The whole joint quieted down. If someone had dropped a pin, it would have sounded like a bomb. When I finished, everybody in the joint was crying in their beer, and I picked thirty-eight bucks up off the floor - Billie Holiday, 1915-1959

Author Topic: weenieLyndhurst  (Read 5746 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
weenieLyndhurst
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:01:21 AM »
Many thanks to those who attended the UK weenie weekend for making it such a success. No doubt a fuller report will be posted shortly along with some aural and visual evidence.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: weenieLyndhurst
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:05:07 AM »
Many thanks to those who attended the UK weenie weekend for making it such a success. No doubt a fuller report will be posted shortly along with some aural and visual evidence.

Didn't know you'd start a new thread, Phil.  I posted a brief report in the original one.

Now moved here:

Well, the Weenie Weekend has been and gone.  I think it's safe to say a good time was had by all.  It was nice to meet the ones I have never met before in the flesh and not just in cyberspace.

A big thank-you is due to Richard, Blueshome and Bob Long for their organisation of the event.

For me, one of the many highlights of Friday evening was the set presented by local lads Bob Long and Pete Harris - their version of Noah Lewis' "Goin' to German" was a delight.

On Saturday, Bob Long also gave a very enjoyable talk about his trips to and links with Mississippi.  Marshcat, aided and abetted by the other half of National Steel, Lewis Cohen, gave an interesting talk on slide guitar and in particular National guitars.  Their playing together was one of the knock-out winners of the weekend. Professor Scratchy had come all the way from Edinburgh and apart from playing some great numbers, also gave a talk on Bo Carter's guitar style, with particular emphasis on open G6 tuning.

I managed to encourage the great Angelina Grimshaw to come over from her home on the Isle of Wight on Saturday and many of us got to play with her.  I particularly enjoyed our version of "KC Moan" with Angelina on vocal and guitar, Blueshome on guitar and yours truly on tenor ukulele.  She also go roped in to sing a couple with Marshcat and Lewis at the end of their presentation.

At one point - wait for it.... Richard had a go at playing banjo and I accompanied him on guitar.  By the way, Richard does a great job on lap slide guitar, having been a drummer all his life (I believe) and only having been playing for a few years.

These are just a few off-the-cuff memories and doubtless others will have more to add.

I suppose they'll be planning next year soon...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:18:52 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »
I really enjoyed the weekend - it was great to meet up again with previous years' attendees, but also to welcome some new faces. My highlights: Bob Long's wonderful old instruments, his Mississippi talk, and his fine performances; Phil and Richard keeping the whole thing on track and stepping in when the rest of us couldn't think what to play next; Liam's amazing big bodied Stella 12 string and his tiny Sovereign guitar (sorry if it was me who pulled the bridge up!); wonderful playing and singing from Marshcat and Lewis; stellar singing from Angelina Grimshaw, whose Memphis Minnie renditions were an absolute highlight; fine performances by Natterjack and by Norfolk Slim - both of whom played far too little but, when they did, it was good! Also it  was good to meet up with Parlor Picker in the flesh at last, after many  telephone contacts in the past. Regret? Well, I'd hoped Bunker Hill might've dropped in at some point with a shed load of back copies of rare magazines and LPs! Next year perhaps?

Offline Lewy C

• homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
It was great to meet you all, listen to great music and gawp at fine guitars. Thanks for being so welcoming to a stranger round these parts.

LC
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:13:11 AM by Lewy C »

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:35:53 PM »
Here's Lewy C before the workshop, deciding whether the Gibson's worth the money... :D

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 12:44:46 PM »
But it looks as if Prof. Scratchy is also tempted...

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:51:48 PM »
I think a lot has been said already but let me add a few words of thanks.

First I should give Phil and Bob a special mention for their input without which I would be struggling long distance! And of course, a big thanks to all for attending and making a success of it :)

I was delighted that our custom of doing a couple of numbers with a partner picked out the hat instilled such enthusiasm and dread in equal amounts that must continue with it :P and who knows, if I can get my head around it for next year we could even reinstate the killer blues quiz!

It does now look as though this is going to be fixture and from the increased numbers I imagine it will stay on the mainland, I appreciate that while Guernsey may not have the attractions of the Lyndhurst permanent traffic jam and pasty shop it does cost more to get here in both time and money.

Personally I would like to try and find another hotel which was a bit cheaper and did not creak all night as this one did  >:( 

So, boys and girls your next task to go forth and find somewhere suitable, the New Forest does seem to suit as a general location since it gives easy access to the motorway and the airporto.

Finally, as some of you will be delighted learn I really am going to get myself a banjo as it's such a wonderful device which I can learn to drive even with motorcycle accident wrist syndrome besides which the picking patterns will transfer to lap   ;)

I have mp3's of Prof's Bo Carter workshop and Marshcat's most entertaing National talk if any body wants them.

(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:58:28 AM »
I enjoyed the weekend enormously (including my soujourn to Dean Court to re-live my teen years watching AFC Bournemouth!)

I can sum up the standard of musicianship by saying that not once during the main proceedings did I ever slip into that state of mind where the music just washes over you and you are waiting for it to finish.  Everyone brought something unique and enjoyable to the "party".

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 03:43:18 AM »
That reminds me - Norfolk Slim's take on an Ishmon Bracey number was another highlight of the weekend for me.

Another random thought: non-participants Mrs. Parlor Picker and Mrs. rick218 decided they were "Weenie WAGs" for the weekend.
Barbecue Bob

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 03:51:51 AM »
That was a really nice Bo Carter lesson!  Thanks for making it available.   

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:21:51 AM »
Congratulations on what sounds like a great event once again, fellas.

And I have learned a new acronym in WAGs (Brit tabloid-speak for wives and girlfriends of football stars). The Wikipedia entry is astonishing to say the least: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAGs

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
WAGs (Brit tabloid-speak for wives and girlfriends of football stars).

Oops!!  I thought "Weenie WAGs" meant "Weenies With Air Guitars"!  I guess I should have thought to look it up.

Offline bob long

• Bob Long
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
I really enjoyed the whole thing....what a remarkable gathering! Already looking forward to doing it again.

For me, the highlights were Angelina Grimshaw turning up and joining in, an exceptionally good workshop from Prof Scratchy and lovely performances from National Steel. But above all, I'm a Bukka White fan and Furry Lewis Cohen's "Aberdeen" was exquisite.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 01:46:26 AM »
Yes, the way in which Lewy C. (maybe a change to "Furry" would be a good idea...) attacked his National in true Bukka style reminded me of when I saw the man himself play in London in the early 1970s. That boy could go far (but probably not as a country blues artist, as there ain't much demand for that kind of thing in the pop charts).
Barbecue Bob

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 02:43:53 AM »
Here's a couple of lively Weenies in full swing.

Barbecue Bob

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal