collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Yeah man I was born March 15, you know the year was nineteen hundred and twelve, yes you know every since that day Po' Lightnin' ain't been doing so well - Lightnin' Hopkins, Goin' Back Home And Talk To Mama, Gold Star

Author Topic: Open G Minor Tuning?  (Read 2603 times)

bayrum78

Open G Minor Tuning?
« on: January 19, 2013, 03:45:27 PM »
I've looked around on weenie trying to find more info on what I am for lack of a better term calling spanish minor tuning. After having a big adventure in cross-note tuning, a light bulb lit over my head and I tuned my guitar to DGDGBbD. I've just started mapping chord shapes, tonalities etc. in this tuning.   Are there any old blues recordings of songs played in this tuning? If so, who are the players and is there a standard name for the  tuning?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:47:09 PM by bayrum78 »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Open G Minor Tuning?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »
Open G Minor is what it usually goes by. I don't know any old CB songs off the top of my head, but John Fahey played a couple of his compositions in it, IIRC. Given what he drew from, there should be something in the CB genre.

Offline Bob B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »
If I recall, Weenie's own John Miller recorded "Chester County"in open Gm on his Blue Goose album "First Degree Blues".  It's a beaut!

Bob

Offline jrn

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Ishmon Bracey's "Woman Woman Blues" is in G minor.
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
Hi all
Ishmon Bracey played "Woman, Woman" out of E position in standard tuning, jrn, though it may have been pitched at G.  Like Bob said, I did "Chester County" on my first Blue Goose album out of open G minor.  I was shooting for a Henry Townsend sort of rhythmic feel and touch, though as far as I know he never played in that tuning.  I also did a recording of Teddy Darby's "Deceiving Blues" that I arranged for that tuning, backing up Jo Ann Kelly's singing but it was never issued.  I am not aware of the tuning ever having been used on historic country blues recordings, Nate.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:51:25 AM »
Its an interesting tuning though I have found it limited so far insofar as it always produces much the same sound with a slide.  Dropping the slide would probably open it up far more.

I'm not aware of any old recordings in this tuning either- but I do know a blues player in the UK who uses it for several numbers.   The reference to John Fahey is interesting- as the era suggests that may be where the player I have in mind got it from.

I have been dabbling for a while with a slide version of Baby please dont go, using Open Gm.  Not sure whether it will ever see the light of day though.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:01:06 AM »
I have been dabbling for a while with a slide version of Baby please dont go, using Open Gm.  Not sure whether it will ever see the light of day though.

Euroweenie?

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »
Bob Brozman uses this tuning for blues in G minor but also for tunes in Bb Major, including slack key tunes.
His base chord positions are : 033000 for Bb, 3x3220 or 3x3200 for F, 101001 for Eb

Nicolas

Offline pete1951

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:38:25 AM »
I`heard several peaple say that Sun House would tune his B string `a little flat`, (so almost `G`minor).
PT

Offline jrn

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Sometimes open g sounds better to me with the b string a little flat.
Quitman, Mississippi

Tags: open g minor 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal