collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Rosa Lee got hair like a mermaid out on the sea - Ernest Lewis - Rosa Lee

Author Topic: is there a lovely blues song called "still waters run deep"?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline John Schott

• Howdy!
is there a lovely blues song called "still waters run deep"?
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »
Hi,
I think this is my first post on this venerable forum!

For years I had cassettes that I taped off the radio of blues shows on Seattle radio in the 1970s-80s. One song that haunts my memory I have been unable to track down. I think it was piano/vocal, an older man with a plaintive kind of voice, singing "Still waters, still waters, I wanna know, they run deep." The song was, I believe, derived from "Sitting on Top of the World". What made the track so charming to me was the way the singer inserted the "I wanna know" between the two parts of the proverb. It was someone rediscovered", I imagine. Maybe a little like the voice of Sleepy John Estes. I had a memory that it might be Champion Jack Dupree, but I can't come up with anything.
    (It is not, by the way, the Brook Benton or Four Tops song by this title).

As I sit here and type, it occurs to me it will probably take WC all of forty minutes to come up with the answer!

John

Offline Lignite

Re: is there a lovely blues song called "still waters run deep"?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
I think you may be thinking of By The Water by New Orleans singer Ford "Snooks" Eaglin. Give a listen to this and see if it is the one;

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:14:24 AM »
I'd like to hear you sing that one, Lightnin'.  You could sing that great!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Lignite

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:31:17 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, John. I actually used to try to do this one about 20 years ago when I still used to play sometimes with a band. I never could quite pull off the cool gut scream he does towards the end and it always bugged me! There's a tape of it somewhere I'll have to dig up and listen to again.

Offline John Schott

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
Hallelujah! Thanks, yes it is Snooks! In a first draft of the post I wrote, I mentioned Snooks, and then deleted it, because... I don't know, it just seemed sort of improbable. And I looked through the discography and couldn't find a song titled Still Waters - which, after all, don't you think should be the title of the song???

At any rate, what a sweet song!

Thanks again!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal