collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got a gal, she lives in town. I'm gonna see if I can run her down - James Cole's String Band, I Got A Gal

Author Topic: Big Bill Broonzy  (Read 5566 times)

Rosalyn

Big Bill Broonzy
« on: September 15, 2004, 03:23:40 PM »
During the end credits of the movie 'Intolerable Cruelty' there is a recording of Big Bill Broonzy singing 'The Glory of Love'.  It is so wonderful. Anybody know of a cd of his that includes that recording... Anyone have the music?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Big Bill Broonzy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 04:23:23 PM »
Hi Ros,

Looks like it appears on several Broonzy CD's (including "....Folk Songs" and 'London Sessions").?Look through at Amazon and you'll see quite a list of Broonzy CD's.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 06:29:14 PM by Johnm »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 06:45:51 PM »
Great playing on that. Best part of the movie!

acousticjam

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 07:13:42 AM »
For some reason I have not collected any of Big Bill Broonzy's material over the years.  With the quantity of recordings available it's tough to know where to start.  Any suggestions?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 08:21:11 AM »
AJ, start with his early stuff - I don't see how you can go wrong with the JSP 5 CD box set for $29

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DF5U4/qid=1113751228/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/104-2973151-1287931?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Cheers,

lebordo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 12:19:21 PM »
AJ, start with his early stuff - I don't see how you can go wrong with the JSP 5 CD box set for $29

Even better, if you take amazon's "new and used from" link to Amazon Marketplace vendors, you can usually pick up most of the JSP sets for $19 to $20, occasionally cheaper.  Recently, I picked up the Patton set for $16 new (the same day someone paid $39 -- well over list -- for the same set used on ebay).

Which reminds me, Slack, does WC get a cut from the Amazon Marketplace sales, or just the sales from Amazon itself?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 01:40:56 PM »
Which reminds me, Slack, does WC get a cut from the Amazon Marketplace sales, or just the sales from Amazon itself?

Hi Paul, yes - WC actually gets a little bigger % off the Marketplace sales!  (One of these days I'll find time to read the Amazon stuff and see how all this works. )

So yes, if you are going to buy _anything_ from Amazon - please start by clicking on the Amazon banner on the Juke page - and WC will make a few nickles.

Cheers,
slack

Offline reuellis

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 08:00:19 AM »
old topic but thought i would put the tabledit file up.  not my work, found it somewhere out there!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:53:02 AM »
For some reason I have not collected any of Big Bill Broonzy's material over the years.  With the quantity of recordings available it's tough to know where to start.  Any suggestions?

For one disc options I would recommend "The Young Big Bill Broonzy" on Yazoo for his early work, and "Big Bill Broonzy: Absolutely the Best " released on various brand x labels one of which is on iTunes, for his late stuff. It has been on LP on Everest's Archive of Folk Music label. It contains three of his greatest instrumentals imho.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline JRO

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:59:23 AM »
Hi, I've been going through Big Bill's works lately and it rouse up a question of his electric guitar playing. I've got Washboard Sam's lp I'm not the lad (Swingtown an European company form Denmark). In the coverinfo of the lp says 15. May 1939 recorded: I'm not the lad, Flying crow blues, Levee camp blues, I'm feeling lowdown. The sessionmen are mentionded possibly Joshua Altheimer p, Big Bill Broonzy g, Ransom Kowling b and Washboard Sam vcl/Wbd. Dixon & Godrich Blues & Gospel Records 1902-43 (1982 edition) doesn't know the session. There is electric guitar solos in all of the sides. So is Bill playing electric guitar this early? If so, does somebody know what else pre war sides he's playing electric guitar? If Bill didn't play electric guitar on those sides, who was the player? Is the session info right at all? Please, can you help me with this question?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »
The info I transcribed from the Document disks when I was ripping them to iTunes has the session on June 26 1941, with Broonzy, Memphis Slim on piano, and William Mitchell on bass.  The session info is basically taken from B&GR's third edition with some emendations by Johnny Parth.  I can check the 4th edition when I get home.   

Offline JRO

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
Thanks, The Dixon & Godrich also places the session June 26 1941 - it's on the next page from 1939 sessions. I must be blind or tired not to notice it. The question Big Bill's earliest electric guitar playing is still in my mind, when it was and on what sides?

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
Hi JRO - the earliest electric guitar playing on Big Bill's records turns out to have been played by young white kid called George Barnes. For his fascinating story go here:
http://bluesunlimited.podomatic.com/entry/2013-11-11T08_04_03-08_00

Offline JRO

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »
Thanks Prof Scrachy, I've have read of George Barnes playing with Big Bill, Jazz Gillum and Washboard Sam but the story in Blues Unlimited is instructive. I'm grateful. But when Bill recorded electric guitar himself?

Offline JRO

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
It's said that George Barnes went on 1939 and didn't play on Big Bills records. At least in 14 september session there is electric guitar but is the player Big Bill? Dixon & Godrich is not sure about the matter. The guitarastyle suits to Big Bill's style.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal