collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now some people don't understand. They think a blues player has to be worried, troubled to sing the blues. That's wrong. I'll put it this way; there's a doctor, he has medicine. He's never, sick, he ain't sick, but he has stuff for the sick people. So the blues player, he ain't worried and bothered, but he's got something for the worried people. Doctor . . . you can see his medicine, you can see his patient. Blues . . . you can't see the music you can't see the patient because it's soul. So I works on the soul, and the doctor works on the body - Roosevelt Sykes, spoken on Smithsonian/Folkways Classic Blues anthology

Author Topic: The Carter Family's Recordings: Playing Positions, Pitch, Vocal Arrangements  (Read 6867 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I recently figured this information out for the Carter Family's recordings from 1927--1941.  I've posted the tables in Weeniepedia but wanted to put them up on the forum as well in a series of posts.
All best,
Johnm

PLAYING POSITIONS/PITCH, VOCAL ARRANGEMENTS ON THE CARTER FAMILY?S COMMERCIALLY RELEASED RECORDINGS

Note:  Unless otherwise stipulated, you may assume that Maybelle?s and Sara?s guitars were played in standard tuning, though sometimes tuned lower  or higher than EADGBE.  On pieces where only one guitar plays, Maybelle is the guitarist.

Bristol, Tennessee, 8/1/27

Song title                                                            Playing Position           Pitch
instrumentation, vocal arrangement

Bury Me Beneath The Willow                    C position                                           B
    guitar/autoharp, trio
Little Log Cabin By The Sea                       C position                                           B
    guitar/autoharp, Sara/A.P.
Poor Orphan Child                                       C position                                            B
The Storms Are On The Ocean                  C position                                            B
    guitar/autoharp, Sara/trio

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bristol, Tennessee, 8/2/27

Single Girl, Married Girl                             F position                                            E
    guitar/autoharp, Sara (no A.P.)
The Wandering Boy                                      C position                                            B
    guitar/autoharp, Sara

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Camden, New Jersey, 5/9/28

Meet Me By The Moonlight Alone            Vestapol tuning (R5R35R)                E
    steel guitar/autoharp, Sara/A.P.                    lap style slide
Little Darling Pal Of Mine                           Vestapol                                               E                           
    steel guitar/autoharp, Sara/A.P.                    lap style slide
Keep On The Sunny Side                             C position                                            B
    guitar/autoharp, Sara/A.P., trio
Anchored In Love                                         C position                                            B

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camden, New Jersey, 5/10/28

John Hardy Was A Desperate Little Man    C position                                      B
    guitar, Sara
I Ain?t Gonna Work Tomorrow                     G position                                       E
    guitar/autoharp, Sara
Will You Miss Me When I?m Gone              G position                                       E
    guitar, Sara/A.P.
River of Jordan                                                 C position                                       B
    guitar/autoharp, trio
Chewing Gum                                                  F position                                        E
    guitar/autoharp, Sara
Wildwood Flower                                            C position                                      Bflat--
    guitar/guitar, Sara
I Have No One To Love Me                           C position                                       B
   guitar/autoharp, trio
Forsaken Love                                                   C position                                       B
Sweet Fern                                              Sara,  C position                                      Aflat
   steel guitar/guitar, Sara                            Maybelle,   Vestapol at Eflat,
                                                                                                             played lap-style in       
                                                                                             the key of the IV chord, Aflat
My Clinch Mountain Home               Sara, C position                                      Aflat
    steel guitar/guitar, A.P./Sara        Maybelle, Vestapol at Eflat, played in the key of
                                                                                  the IV chord, Aflat
God Gave Noah the Rainbow Sign            C position                                          A
    guitar/autoharp, trio
I?m Thinking Tonight of my Blue Eyes     C position                                          A
Little Moses                                                     C position                                          A
Lulu Walls                                                        C position                                          A
   guitar/autoharp, trio
Grave on the Green Hillside                        C position                                          A

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
Here are their sessions from 1929-1930.
All best,
Johnm

2/15/29

Don?t Forget this Song                        Sara:  C position                                          A flat
   steel guitar/guitar, Sara/A.P.         Maybelle:  Vestapol at E flat                               A flat
Foggy Mountain Top                           Sara:  C position                                       A flat++
   steel guitar/guitar, Sara/A.P.         Maybelle:  Vestapol at E flat                            A flat++
Bring Back My Blue-eyed Boy to Me         C position                                            A+
Diamonds in the Rough                               C position                                             B flat
   guitar, Sara/trio
Engine 143                                                       C position                                             A+
   guitar/autoharp, Sara

11/22/29

Homestead on the Farm                                 C position                                       B flat++
Cyclone of Rye Cove                                      C position                                        B flat++
   guitar/autoharp, trio
Motherless Children                                      C position                                        B flat++

11/24/29
When the Roses Bloom in Dixieland          C position                                       B flat+
No Telephone in Heaven                               C position                                       B flat+
Western Hobo                                        Sara:  G position                                      F
   steel guitar/guitar, Sara/Maybelle Maybelle:  Spanish tuning (5R5R35)          F
Carter?s Blues                                         Sara:  G position                                     G
   guitar/guitar, Sara                            Maybelle:  G position                                     G
Wabash Cannonball                                         C position                                     B flat
G   guitar/autoharp, Sara

11/25/29

A Distant Land to Roam                       Sara:  G position                                      F-
   guitar/guitar, trio                              Maybelle:  G position                                      F-
Jimmy Brown, the Newsboy                           C position                                      B flat
   guitar/autoharp, Sara
Kitty Waltz                                               Sara:  C position                                      C--
   guitar/guitar, Sara/Maybelle          Maybelle:  C position                                       C--
Fond Affection                                        Sara:  G position                                       F-
   steel guitar/guitar                             Maybelle: Spanish tuning                              F-

5/24/30

The Cannonball                                                 C position                                     C#++
   guitar/autoharp, A.P.
Lover?s Farewell                                                C position                                      C#++
   guitar/autoharp, A.P./trio
There?s Someone A-Waiting For Me             C position                                      C#++
Little Log Hut in the Lane                     Sara: C position                                     B flat++
   guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                      Maybelle: C position                                     B flat++
When the Springtime Comes Again              Spanish tuning                              C#++
   steel guitar/autoharp
48) When the World?s on Fire                                 Spanish tuning                              C#++
C#++   steel guitar/autoharp, Sara/A.P.
I Have an Aged Mother                                     Spanish tuning                              C-
   steel guitar/autoharp, Sara/trio
Dying Soldier                                                      Spanish tuning                              C-
   steel guitar/autoharp, Sara/A.P.
Worried Man Blues                                            C position                                       B flat+
   guitar/autoharp, trio

11/24/30

Lonesome Valley                                                C position                                        A+
  guitar/autoharp, trio
On The Rock Where Moses Stood                  C position                                        A+
Room In Heaven For Me                                   C position                                        A+

11/25/30

55)Lonesome Pine Special                           Sara, G position                                        F#-
   guitar/guitar, trio                              Maybelle, C position, capo                                F#-
No More the Moon Shines on Lorena           C position                                         A
On My Way to Canaan?s Land                         C position                                        A
  guitar/autoharp, trio
Where Shall I Be                                                 Spanish tuning                                A
  steel guitar/autoharp, trio

59) Sow ?Em on the Mountain                                Spanish tuning                                A
   steel guitar, autoharp, Sara/A.P.
Darling Nellie Across The Sea                        C position                                          A
Birds Were A-Singing of You                           G position                                          E
  guitar, Sara/trio

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Here are their sessions from 1931-1933.

The 1931 Sessions

Title   Recording Date   Instrumentation   Vocal Arrangement   Playing Position   Key
Weary Prodigal Son   5/25/1931   guitar, guitar      Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F++
My Old Cottage Home   5/25/1931   guitar, guitar      Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F++
When I'm Home   5/25/1931   guitar, autoharp   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position   B flat+
Sunshine In The Shadows   5/25/1931   guitar, autoharp   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position   B flat+
Let The Church Roll On   5/25/1931   guitar, autoharp   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position   B flat+
Lonesome For You   5/26/1931   guitar   Sara/A.P.   Maybelle, C position   B
Can't Feel At Home   5/26/1931   guitar/autoharp   Sara/A.P., trio   Maybelle, C position   Blat+
Why there's A Tear In My Eye   6/10/1931   guitar/guitar   Jimmie Rodgers/Sara   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#
The Wonderful City   6/10/1931   guitar/guitar      Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#

NOTE: The Carter Family's sessions in 1930 and 1931 were shorter sessions, but considering how much the Depression had disrupted the recording industry by then, they still recorded a decent number of titles. The 11/25/1930 was notable for being the last session at which Maybelle would play lap-slide guitar. It was also the first session at which Maybelle would use a capo; she was to use the capo more and more as the years went by and Sara began to use one as well, on the later sessions. Use of the capo opened up the Family's instrumental sound quite a lot. By the time of these sessions, the Carter Family had pretty much settled on their repertoire combination--traditional songs along with sentimental "parlor" songs, country gospel songs and hymns and the occasional blues or novelty number.

The 1932 Sessions

Title   Recording Date   Instrumentation   Vocal Arrangement   Playing Position   Key
Mid The Green Fields of Virginia   2/23/1932   guitar, autoharp   trio   C position   A-
Happiest Days of All   2/23/1932   guitar, autoharp   trio   C position   A-
PIcture on the Wall   2/23/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F+
Amber Tresses   2/23/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F+
I Never Loved But One   2/23/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F+
Tell Me That You Love Me   2/23/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
Where We'll Never Grow Old   2/23/1932   guitar, guitar   trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
We Will March Through the Streets of the City   2/23/1932   guitar, guitar   trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F--
Sweet As the Flowers in the Maytime   10/12/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
Will the Roses Bloom In Heaven   10/12/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
My Little Home in Tennessee   10/12/1932   guitar, autoharp   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position   B flat+
Sun of the Soul   10/12/1932   guitar, autoharp   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position   B flat+
If One Won't, Another One Will   10/12/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
Broken Hearted Lover   10/12/1932   guitar, autoharp   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position   B flat+
Two Sweethearts   10/13/1932   guitar, autoharp   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position   B flat+
Winding Stream   10/13/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, Sara, C position   B flat
I Wouldn't Mind Dying   10/13/1932   guitar, guitar   A.P./Sara   Maybelle, C position, Sara, C position   B flat
Spirit of Love Watches Over Me   10/13/1932   guitar, guitar   Sara/Maybelle   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
Church in the Wildwood   10/13/1932   guitar, autoharp   A.P., Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position   B flat

The 1933 Sessions

Give Me Roses While I Live    6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#--
I Never Will Marry   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#--
On the Sea of Galilee   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#--
Home By the Sea   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#--
When the Roses Come Again   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#--
I Loved You Better Than You Knew   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#--
This Is Like Heaven To Me   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#--
See That My Grave Is Kept Green   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   F#--
Over the Garden Wall   6/17/1933   guitar, autoharp   Sara/Maybelle   Maybelle, C position, capo   E flat-
Gold Watch and Chain   6/17/1933   guitar, autoharp   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo   E flat-
School House On the Hill   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara/trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
Will My Mother Know Me There   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar   Sara, A.P./trio   Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
Faded Flowers   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar      Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
Poor Little Orphan Boy   6/17/1933   guitar, guitar      Maybelle, C position, capo, Sara, G position   G
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:13:35 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Here are their sessions from 1934-1935.

Camden, New Jersey, 5/8/34

On A Hill Lone and Gray                               Sara, G position                                   F
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                                  Maybelle, C position, capo                         F
Cowboy Jack                                                     Sara, C position                                Bflat
  guitar/guitar, Sara/Maybelle                       Maybelle, C position                                Bflat
I?ll Be All Smiles Tonight                               Sara, C position                                Bflat
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                                  Maybelle, C position                                Bflat
Away Out on the Old Saint Sabboth  Maybelle, C position                                  A
Darling Little Joe                                    Maybelle, C position                                   A
  guitar/autoharp, trio
Happy Or Lonesome                              Maybelle, C position                                    A
One Little Word                                       Maybelle, C position                                   A
  guitar/autoharp, Sara, Maybelle/trio
Darling Daisies                                        Maybelle, C position                                   A
  guitar/autoharp, Sara/Maybelle
East Virginia Blues                                           Sara, G position                                    F
  guitar/guitar, Sara/Maybelle                        Maybelle, C position, capo                          F
Lover?s Return                                                   Sara, G position                                    F
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                                   Maybelle, C position, capo                          F
It?ll Aggravate Your Soul                                 Sara, G position                                    F
  guitar/guitar, A.P.                                            Maybelle, C position, capo                          F
Hello Central, Give Me Heaven                     Sara, G position                                    F
  guitar/guitar, Sara/Maybelle                         Maybelle, C position, capo                          F
I?m Working On A Building                            Sara, G position                                    F
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                                    Maybelle, C position, capo                          F
You?ve Been Fooling Me Baby                        Sara, G position                                    F
  guitar/guitar, Sara/Maybelle                         Maybelle, C position                                    F

Camden, New Jersey, 12/11/34

Longing For Old Virginia                   Maybelle, C position                              Aflat+
March Winds Gonna Blow My
Blues Away                                                   Maybelle, C position                               Aflat+
There?ll Be Joy, Joy, Joy                      Maybelle, C position                               Aflat+
  guitar/autoharp, trio
Home In Tennessee                             Maybelle, C position                               Aflat+
  guitar/autoharp, trio
Are You Tired of Me, My Darling    Maybelle, C position                               Aflat+
I Cannot Be Your Sweetheart            Maybelle, C position                                Aflat+
My Heart?s Tonight In Texas             Maybelle, C position                                Aflat+
There?s No Hiding Place Down
Here                                                              Maybelle, C position                                Dflat++
Cowboy?s Wild Song to His Herd  Maybelle, C position                                Dflat++
Evening Bells Are Ringing              Maybelle, C position, capo                          E+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                                Sara, G position                                          E+
Mountains Of Tennessee                 Maybelle, C position, capo                          E+
  guitar/guitar, trio                                         Sara, G position                                          E+
I?ll Be Home Someday                      Maybelle, C position, capo                         E+
  guitar/guitar, trio                                         Sara, G position                                          E+
Faded Coat of Blue                           Maybelle, C position, capo                           E+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                                Sara, G position                                          E+

133) Sailor Boy                                             Maybelle, C position, capo                         E+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/Maybelle                     Sara, G position                                          E+

New York City, 5/5/35

Glory to the Lamb                             Maybelle, C position                                  Dflat
  guitar/autoharp, trio
Behind Those Stone Walls               Maybelle, F position                                  Aflat
Sinking in the Lonesome Sea          Maybelle, C position, capo                       Eflat+
  guitar, Sara/trio

New York City, 5/6/35

He Took a White Rose From
Her Hair                                                        Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
  guitar/autoharp, Sara/Maybelle/A.P.
Can the Circle Be Unbroken             Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
Let?s Be Lovers Again                         Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
  guitar/autoharp, Sara/Maybelle/trio
Your Mother Still Prays
(For You Jack)                                                Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
Kissing Is A Crime                              Maybelle, C position                                  Aflat

New York City, 5/7/35

Don?t Forget Me, Little Darling        Maybelle, C position, capo                      Eflat+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                               Sara, G position                                          Eflat+
Sad and Lonesome Day                      Maybelle, C position, capo                       Eflat+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/Maybelle                    Sara, G position                                          Eflat+
By the Touch of Her Hand                 Maybelle, C position, capo                       Eflat+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                               Sara, G position                                          Eflat+
East Virginia Blues, #2                        Maybelle, C position, capo                      Eflat+
  guitar/guitar, trio                                        Sara, G position                                         Eflat+

146) My Old Virginia Home                      Maybelle, C position, capo                      Eflat+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                              Sara, G position                                          Eflat+
My Virginia Rose Is Blooming         Maybelle, F position                                 Aflat
My Texas Girl                                       Maybelle, C position, capo                         E+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                               Sara, G position                                            E+
No Other?s Bride I?ll Be                      Maybelle, C position, capo                         E+
  guitar/guitar, Sara/trio                               Sara, G position                                            E+
Gathering Flowers From the
Hillside                                                           Maybelle, C position, capo                         E+
  guitar/guitar, trio                                         Sara, G position                                            E+
Gospel Ship                                           Maybelle, C position, capo                         E+
  guitar/guitar, trio                                         Sara, G position                                            E+
Little Black Train                                   Maybelle, C position                                 Aflat
  guitar/autoharp, trio
New York City, 5/8/35

Keep On The Sunny Side                    Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
   g/ah, trio
River of Jordan                                       Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
   g/ah, trio
Lonesome Valley                                    Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
   g/ah, trio
God Gave Noah The Rainbow sign   Maybelle, C position                                 Aflat
   g/ah, trio
Single Girl, Married Girl                     Maybelle, C position                                 Aflat
  g/ah, Sara
The Fate of Dewey Lee                         Maybelle, C position                                    E
  g/g, trio                                                            Sara, C position
Wildwood Flower                                   Maybelle, C position                                   E
  g/g, trio                                                             Sara, C position

New York City, 5/9/35

Sea of Galilee                                            Maybelle, C position                                  D+
   g/g, trio                                                             Sara, C position
Don?t Forget This Song                           Maybelle, C position                                  D
   g/g, Sara/trio                                                    Sara, C position
My Clinch Mountain Home                   Maybelle, G position                                  A
   g/g, Sara/trio                                                    Sara, G position
The Storms Are On The Ocean              Maybelle, C position                                  D
   g/g, Sara/trio                                                    Sara, C position
164) Will You Miss Me When I?m Gone     Maybelle, G position                                Bflat
   g/g, trio                                                             Sara, G position
165) Broken Hearted Lover                            Maybelle, C position                               Eflat
    g/g, Sara/AP/trio                                            Sara, C position

New York City, 5/10/35

Little Darling, Pal of Mine                   Maybelle, C position                               Aflat             
A flat   g/ah, trio
The Homestead On The Farm             Maybelle, C position                               Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
Cannon Ball Blues                                 Maybelle, C position                               Aflat
   g/ah, trio
Meet Me By Moonlight Alone            Maybelle, C position                               Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
On The Rock Where Moses Stood     Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
Lulu Walls                                               Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
   g/ah, trio
I?m Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes  Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
Worried Man Blues                                Maybelle, C position                                Aflat
   g/ah, trio

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Here are their sessions from 1936-1937.

New York City, 6/8/36

My Dixie Darling                                  Maybelle, C position                                 Aflat
   g/ah, trio
Give Me Your Love And I?ll Give You Mine  Maybelle, C position                  Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
Are You Lonesome Tonight                Maybelle, C position                                 Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
The Last Move For Me                        Maybelle, C position                                 Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
178) The Wayworn Traveller                      Maybelle, C position                                 Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
179) Just Another Broken Heart                Maybelle, C position                                 Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
180) When Silver Threads Are Gold Again  Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
181) There?s No One Like Mother To Me  Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
182) In A Little Village Churchyard           Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
Jealous Hearted Me                               Maybelle, C position                           Eflat
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                      Sara, G position
184) My Native Home                                   Maybelle, C position                           Eflat
185) Sweet Heaven In My View                  Maybelle, C position                           Eflat

New York City, 6/9/36

No Depression (In Heaven)             Maybelle, C position                             Eflat+
   g/g, Sara/trio                                             Sara, G position
187) Bonnie Blue Eyes                               Maybelle, C position                             Eflat+
   g/g, trio                                                      Sara, G position
188) My Honey Lou                                   Maybelle, C position                             Eflat+
189) In The Shadow Of The Pines         Maybelle, C position                             Eflat+
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle/trio                          Sara, G position
190) Answer to Weeping Willow            Maybelle, C position                               F
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle/trio                          Sara, G position
191) You?ve Been A Friend To Me          Maybelle, C position                               F
   g/g, Sara/trio                                            Sara, G position
Where The Silvery Colorado Wends Its Way  Maybelle, C position             F
   g/g, Sara/trio                                            Sara, G position
Lay My Head Beneath The Rose   Maybelle, C position                             Eflat
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                 Sara, G position

New York City, 6/10/36

No Depression In Heaven               Maybelle, C position                           Eflat+
195) No Native Home                               Maybelle, C position                           Eflat+
196) Jealous Hearted Me                          Maybelle, C position                           Eflat+
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                 Sara, G position
197) A Distant Land To Roam                Maybelle, C position                           Eflat+
   g/g, Sara                                                   Sara, G position
198) I?m Working On A Building          Maybelle, C position                           Eflat
   g/g, Sara                                                   Sara, G position
199) East Virginia Blues #2                     Maybelle, C position                           Eflat
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                Sara, G position
My Dixie Darling                             Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
201) Keep On The Sunny Side              Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
202) Kissing Is A Crime                          Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/trio
203) Single Girl, Married Girl               Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara

204) Little Darling, Pal of Mine            Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
205) Lonesome Valley                             Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
206) Cannonball Blues                           Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara
207) Happy Or Lonesome                      Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
208) Are You Lonesome Tonight          Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
209) Just Another Broken Heart           Maybelle, C position                           Aflat
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle

New York City, 6/17/37

The Broken Down Tramp              Maybelle, F position                             D
   g/ah, trio
211) Lover?s Lane                                     Maybelle, C position                             A
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/A. P, last chorus
212) Hold Fast To The Right                  Maybelle, F position                             D+
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
213) Lord, I?m In Your Care                   Maybelle, C position                             A--
   g/ah, trio
214) Funny when You Feel That Way  Maybelle, F position                             D
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
215) In The Shadow Of Clinch Mountain  Maybelle, F position                     D
   g/ah, Sara/trio
216) Hello Stranger                                 Maybelle, C position                             A+
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
217) Never Let The Devil Get The Upper Hand Of You  Maybelle, F position   D--                     
   g/ah, trio
When The Evening Sun Goes Down   Maybelle, C position                     E-
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle, trio                                Sara, F position   
219) Jim Blake?s Message                                Maybelle, C position                     E-
   g/g, trio                                                             Sara, F position
220) Honey In The Rock                                  Maybelle, C position                     E
   g/g, trio                                                             Sara, F position
221) Look How This World Has Made A  Change    Maybelle, C position         E
   g/g, Sara/trio                                                             Sara, F position

New York City, 6/18/37

222) Little Girl That Played Upon My Knee         Maybelle, C position               F+
   g/g, Sara/trio                                                             Sara, F position
223) You Better Leave That Liar Alone                  Maybelle, C position               F+
224) Farewell Nellie                                                  Maybelle, C position               F+
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle/trio                                          Sara, F position
225) The Only Girl I Ever Cared About                Maybelle, C position               F
226) Goodbye To The Plains                                    Maybelle, C position               F
   g/g, trio                                                                      Sara, F position
227) My Home?s Across The Blue Ridge Mountains   Maybelle, C position       F
   g/g, trio                                                                      Sara, F position
228) Dark Haired True Lover                                    Maybelle, C position               F
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle/trio                                           Sara, F position
He Never Came Back                                         Maybelle, C position               C
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                   Sara, C position

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Here are their sessions for 1938, 1940 and 1941.  It's amazing when you think that recording right through the Depression, they only had two years, 1933 and 1939 in which they recorded no sessions.

New York City, 6/8/38

Happy In Prison                                                  Maybelle, C position             Aflat+
   g/ah, Sara/trio
231) Waiting In The King?s Highway                      Maybelle, C position             Aflat++
   g/ah, Sara/trio
232) St. Regious Girl                                                   Maybelle, C position             Aflat++
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
233) Just A Few More Days                                        Maybelle, C position             A
   g/ah, Sara/trio
234) Bring Back My Boy                                             Maybelle, C position             Aflat+
   g/ah, trio
235) It Is Better Farther On                                        Maybelle, C position             Aflat+
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
236) Charlie And Nellie                                             Maybelle, C position             Aflat+
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
237) Cuban Soldier                                                     Maybelle, C position             Aflat+
   g/ah, Sara/trio
238) Heart That Has Broken For Me                       Maybelle, C position                A
   g/ah, Sara/trio

239) You?re Nothing More To Me                            Maybelle, C position                A
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
240) Stern Old Bachelor                                            Maybelle, C position            Aflat+
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
241) Little Joe                                                              Maybelle, C position            Aflat+
   g/ah, trio
Reckless Motorman                                          Maybelle, C position             F#++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                  Sara, F position
243) You Denied Your Love                                     Maybelle, C position             F#++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                  Sara, F position
Oh Take Me Back                                              Maybelle, E position            Eflat++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                  Sara, E position
You Are My Flower                                           Maybelle, C position            Bflat+
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                  Sara, G position
Who?s That Knocking At My Window          Maybelle, F position            Eflat++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                   Sara, C position
247) They Call Her Mother                                      Maybelle, C position            Bflat++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                  Sara, G position
Coal Miner?s Blues                                            Maybelle, G position            F--
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                  Sara, C position
Young Freda Holt                                               Maybelle, C position               A
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle

Chicago, 10/3/1940

Little Poplar Log House On The Hill              Maybelle, C position             Aflat++
   g/ah, trio
251) The Dying Mother                                              Maybelle, C position             Aflat++
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
252) Buddies In The Saddle                                      Maybelle, C position             Aflat++
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle/trio
253) Heaven?s Radio                                                   Maybelle, C position             Aflat++
   g/ah, trio
254) Beautiful Home                                                   Maybelle, C position             Aflat++
   g/ah, trio
255) There?ll Be No Distinction There                    Maybelle, C position             Aflat++
   g/ah, Sara/trio
Give Him One More As He Goes                    Maybelle, F position                F#-
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                                    Sara, F position

257) Lonesome For You Darling                    Maybelle, F position                F#-
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                        Sara, G position
258) Blackie?s Gunman                                   Maybelle, F position                F#-
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                        Sara, G position

Chicago, 10/4/40

You?ve Got To Righten That Wrong      Maybelle, G position               F#-
Meeting In The Air                                   Maybelle, F position                B+
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                          Sara, C position
My Home Among The Hills                    Maybelle, C position               F#++
   g/g, trio                                                               Sara, G position
Black Jack David                                        Maybelle, F position                F#++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                           Sara, G position
263) Look Away From The Cross                    Maybelle, C position                F#++
   g/g, trio                                                              Sara, G position
We Shall Rise                                              Maybelle, C position                A--
   g/ah, trio
I Found You Among The Roses               Maybelle, F position                F#++
   g/g, A.P.                                                               Sara, F position
Bear Creek Blues                                         Maybelle, G position               E--
   g/ah, Sara
267) I?ll Never Forsake You                               Maybelle, C position               E--
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
268) Beautiful Isle Over The Sea                     Maybelle, C position               E--
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
269) Beautiful Isle Over The Sea                     Maybelle, C position               F#++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                         Sara, G position

New York City, 10/14/1941

Why Do You Cry, Little Darlin?                Maybelle, F position                F#++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                            Sara, F position
271) You Tied A Love Knot In My Heart         Maybelle, F position                F#++
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle                                            Sara, C position
Lonesome Homesick Blues                        Maybelle, E position               Eflat-
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
273) Dark And Stormy Weather                         Maybelle, C position                 F-
   g/ah, trio
274) In The Valley Of The Shenandoah            Maybelle, C position                 F-
   g/ah, trio
275) Girl On The Greenbrier Shore                   Maybelle, C position                 F-
   g/ah, Sara/Maybelle
276) Something Got A Hold Of Me                   Maybelle, C position                 F-
   g/ah, A.P.
277) 50 Miles Of Elbow Room                            Maybelle, C position                 F-
   g/ah, Sara/trio
278) Keep On The Firing Line                            Maybelle, C position                 A++
   g/ah, Sara/trio
279) Waves On The Sea                                        Maybelle, C position                 Eflat
   g/ah, trio
Rambling Boy                                                Maybelle, F position                 F#+
   g/g, trio                                                                  Sara, F position
281) You?re Gonna Be Sorry You Let Me Down  Maybelle, F position                 F#+
   g/g, Sara/Maybelle/trio                                       Sara, F position

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
This is awesome, John, thanks!

Offline Lastfirstface

This is amazing. Thanks a lot John.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Thanks very much, Chris and Lastfirstface, for the good words.  For the time being, at least, the tables are a lot cleaner and easy to read as they appear in Weeniepedia, under the Musicianship-Guitar category, than they are in this thread.  I do intend to re-format the tables in this thread for greater legibility, and am receiving instruction on how to do that, but I'm currently a bit burned out on formatting, which is not my thing, so I think I'll take a little break before tackling that job.  I will be adding more notes to the Weeniepedia page, too, probably before I re-format here.
All best,
Johnm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
John -- you may know this already, but as far as formatting tables for the web goes, the easiest way to deal with it is to start with an Excel file, save that file as a CSV file (available under "Save As"), open the CSV file in a text editor (like Notepad -- don't use Word), copy the whole thing, and then take it to a site like this one:
http://www.textfixer.com/html/csv-convert-table.php
which will add in all the HTML tags for you.

Chris

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Thanks for the tip, Chris. So far we've been using the Concatenate function in Excel, adding an extra column with a formula that concatenates all the content of cells to the left into the html/wiki code required for Weeniepedia. Which can then be copied and pasted in. For tables in forum posts, the angle brackets used in html need to be replaced for the square brackets used in forum BB code. Haven't checked it out in detail yet, but your solution looks like it might eliminate the need to create multiple Excel templates with various numbers of columns and the concatenate formula added in.

How's that for a discussion of the Carter Family?

Seriously, Johnm thanks for all this great information. I keep going back to the Carter Family and "discovering" new tunes I hadn't paid attention to before (I have this same experience with Dave Macon), and this will make me do that even more. It's a lot of work going through that many songs, but I envy you the concentrated listening experience. So much fun to do.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Andrew -- I sent you a message so I wouldn't hijack the thread further with exciting coding discussions!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Checking out JM's latest update to the excellent Carter Family weeniepedia page:

As you look at the 1935 sessions, it is interesting to see how many of the songs recorded had been recorded before by the Carter Family, sometimes more than once.  I would take this as an indication that the masters on the previously recorded versions had worn out, from having so many discs made from them.  Very few Country Blues musicians sold enough records for this to happen; Lemon Jefferson did, for he recorded "Matchbox Blues" three times.

I had a Eureka moment there. I had never considered that.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Actually, the reason they re-recorded so many songs in 1935 is that they moved from Victor to ARC when their contract expired. ARC wanted their own versions of their hits. They moved on to Decca from 1936-38, OKeh in 1940 and then back to Victor in '41.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
Guess I better edit that note.  Thanks for the correction, Chris.  That's what I get for making an assumption based on too little information.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: Carter Family 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal