collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My baby came to me this morning and said I'm kinda confused. She said "If me and B.B. King was both drownin', which one would you choose?" And I said "Oh Baby, Oh Baby, Oh Baby, I ain't never heard you play no blues" - Steve Goodman, The I Ain't Never Heard You Play No Blues

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 221477 times)

Offline Deadeye

• Yeee Haaaa
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »
Hey Junior, Welcome to the place.. I'm new too, been lurking and listening to Weenie Juke Radio for a while now. But, fairly new to the forum.

I live in the Mississippi Delta.... Don't you know it gets hot here. Then its Floods, Tornados.

Vacationing in the Delta? (** Scratching my head**) After living here all my life.. That just sounds strange.
Things are changing, I guess. And I do attend every blues fest that happens nearby.. ( The recent Juke Joint Fest was a blast)

Well Anyway.. Welcome to the Delta..

Deadeye
Greenwood, MS
Greenwood, Mississippi

Junior

« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2005, 05:04:05 AM »
Well, Deadeye, I lived in East Texas for 10 years and in Florida for more than a decade, so I do know about the heat! I love going to the Delta and have made some friends around Clarksdale over the years. I like the southern-country lifestyle.Believe me, if you spent any time living in a place like Boston or NYC, you`d be pining for Greenwood!! Imagne what 30 inches of snow in a big city is like!

Actually, I am hoping to start a BBQ vending service, traveling the Blues festival circuit, so during the height of summer, I will be in the northeast and midwest. (I am a chef by trade.) I was hoping to start it up this year, but "the best-laid plans of mice and men......."

About the "Cathead" newsletter:
Roger Stolle owns the "Cathead Blues and Folk Art Store" in Clarksdale, MS, and he puts out a great little weekly newsletter covering all things Blues in the Delta and Memphis area. His website is http://www.cathead.biz (Where he has some very interesting "stuff" for sale, as well as hard to find Blues CDs.) Roger will soon be taking the reins on the "Blues In The Delta" column in Blues Revue and acts as booking agent for The Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale.You can subscribe to the newsletter  by simply sending an e-mail to roger@cathead.biz

No, I`m not on his payroll,  LOL!

chris nightbird

« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2005, 11:06:42 PM »
Hey all!
I'm new to the Weenie roll & forum.
My name is Chris Nightbird, and I play 12- string & slide guitar. I'm also a singer, who writes songs with my wife Brigitte.
I'm inspired by people like Son House, Robert Johnson, and Blind Willie McTell. And I live for Country Blues!

I love the Juke!
Best music I've heard on any site, or on the radio for that matter.
Hope to talk to y'all soon...

chipmonk doug

« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2005, 03:37:22 AM »
Junior, where in FL.

I'm up in N. FL north left of G-ville.

doug

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2005, 08:25:28 AM »
Welcome Chris!

Offline slidnslim

• Howdy!
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2005, 03:33:21 AM »
Hi  all I thought I'd introduce myself after lurking here for some time
 I'm a country  blues fanatic and player of 25  years, living in Canada.
 I play mostly bootleneck on National guitars,and a coulpe of old beaters!
 I look forward to talking CB related stuff with you all!

Kenny, :D

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2005, 08:45:13 AM »
Welcome, indeed, Kenny!

I love the photo of Son House you have on the left of your sign-in! Great and powerful, like the man and his voice.  :D

Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

skip bosco

« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2005, 09:29:46 PM »
wow, what a bunch of nuts, i feel like i've found a whole huge honkin' branch of my family tree here...

anyway, depending on how you know me i'm either skip, or mark, or bro' mark, or mandolin slut, or a couple of other names.

i'm 42 and first played the guitar from about 12 to 19, when i abandoned it in frustrastion and disgust....i had taken lessons for about 5 of those years and always felt that they kinda ruined me. in my twenties i took up the drums, which turned into a pretty obsessive thing for years, but mostly i played at home --the objective was to see how good i'd get if i just gave it the time, and i got pretty good. someday i'll write a book about everything i learned about music from all that drumming, it was like a spiritual journey...no it wasn't "like" it at all, it WAS a very spiritual process.

anyway, the blues.

i've always been a huge music fan, listening to all kinds of stuff, but the blues --or otherwise old-timey music-- simply never resonated with me, i appreciated it as the source of lots of music i love, but listening to old music always felt like going to museum, and i've known my share of record geeks so i've had many experiences of people sitting me down with a stack of old records and trying to get me into the blues. basically i think blues was just way far away from my life as a white suburban kid growing up near washington dc...i was all about rock and roll, rock, pop, punk, industrial, electronic, whatever --new stuff.

like any good record geek i bought the robert johnson discs when they came out, and i'd tack him into mix tapes for friends and stuff, but i didn't really listen to him, i didn't hear him. anyway, about 7 years ago i decided that i was gonna give myself a summer vacation, a couple months off to just do whatever, but to also get some writing done. so i got in a routine of writing 8-10 hours a day, and while i write i usually listen to music, music that i'm very familiar with so it's not a distraction. now on a record buying spree i had picked up, totally on a whim, the 'georgia blues' yazoo collection, and i had it on heavy rotation in my car...and it was really getting under my skin, but i couldn't write with it playing. so i was getting intrigued by this blues thing, and i started listening to robert johnson, being very familiar with him i could easily tune him out. so a couple days of nothing but robert johnson while i wrote and i had my epiphany --at about 2am i sat back from the typewriter for a smoke and the first disc was just repeating back to the top, kindhearted woman, and i just fell right into it --i got it. it was all over. for about 2 weeks poor bob and the georgia blues was all i listened to, i never turned the cd off, it was 24/7.

i was in this place that i'd been in before, i mean it was a lot like when i fell in love with the beatles, or when i 'got' jazz, or classical, or whatever, i'd known this kind of intensity but there was something different about this, i wanted to do it myself, i wanted to play. i really didn't know anything about old blues so i went to the library and found peter guarlnick's 'search for robert johnson,' which is a very quick read and took some notes. then, for the first time in my life, i went to tower records with a list in my hand --shame-- and wandered into the blues section. booker white, skip james, tampa red, son house, charlie patton, memphis minnie.

and it was all over.

for about 2 years i was literally unable to listen to music later than the 1940's or so, and i lived around 1930. but almost immediately i started playing guitar again, primarily slide and some fingerpicking stuff, but all in open tunings. and about 9 months after my burning bush i got a national, and about a year later a dobro, and then about 4 years ago the mandolin invaded my life and has become my main instrument, and for a little over two years i have been obsessing on the fiddle. i have way too much old time music, but i can't get enough. a couple years ago i went to mecca, i spent 12 hours in joe bussard's basement.

and i play out all the time now, either gigging or get togethers, jams (like archie edwards barbershop here in dc http://www.acousticblues.com/   --i'm shooting a documentary about the place now after going for about 3 years) music has transformed my life so much it amazes me, and i listen to all kinds of old recordings now, but it always comes back to the blues.

when i 'got' the blues i simply understood that it's essentially very straightforward music informed by the boundless complexity of being human...and i simply HAD to start playing it, i simply had to find my voice, finally, in this amazing music.

so that's pretty much me, in a nutshell, when it comes to country blues.

lately i'm crazy into frank stokes and the jsp memphis box.

skip

Offline darrylhill

• Hi all seekers of this music we know as the blues
    • web page of studio guitarist session musician Darryl Hill
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2005, 03:26:17 PM »
Hi All,
 I'm new to the site and still learning how to do stuff. I was intrigued with the evolution of fingerpicking topics that I'm discovering. I'm aware of the Sebastapol blues and Spanish Fandango and did find some prints of the sheet music at Library of congress. this banjoesque tuning and parlor guitar arrangements are really a find not to mention the incredible wealth of music we have to listen to here. I fully support the site and will certainly contribute with buying accessories and other memorabilia. thanks for the resources.
Darrylhill
Darryl

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2005, 03:28:24 PM »
Welcome Darryl! Weenie flyswatters: no self-respecting country blues fan should be without one...

Dodson

« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2005, 03:43:52 PM »
Howdy - Joe here, from Houston.? I stumbled across this site looking for free country/acoustic blues tab, and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

My guitar history goes way back into the mid '70s, when I was about 8 years old and my parents gave me a beat-up nylon stringed guitar cast off by another neighborhood kid.? After I scrapped off the Led Zepplin sticker stuck to the top, it looked pretty sweet except for the deep gouges I put there getting the sticker off.? Applying my usual perserverence and focus, by the late 1980's I had learned to tune the guitar, but little else.? I took classical guitar lessons in college, but basically packed my guitar away after graduation for the better part of the last 14 years.? Took it out again last December, made a switch to steel strings, and I've been playing daily since then.? I'm playing a mix of blues, country flatpicking, fingerstyle solo pieces, and your basic mix of CNS&Y, Simon & Garfunkle, etc.

I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to do almost nightly unpaid gigs for my kids, who are two and four years old respectively and generally lack the physical strength to make me stop unless they work together.

Great site.? Looking forward to getting to know y'all.

Best,
Joe

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2005, 04:50:25 PM »
I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to do almost nightly unpaid gigs for my kids, who are two and four years old respectively and generally lack the physical strength to make me stop unless they work together.

ooh, you're so lucky - mine are nearly 10 and 12 and old enough to think dad is a certifiable nut case and generally ignore me when I have a guitar (which, curiously, is most of the time... but itjust causes me to make up more horrible blues lyrics about them until they can ignore me no longer).

tom

Dodson

« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2005, 09:51:48 PM »

ooh, you're so lucky - mine are nearly 10 and 12 and old enough to think dad is a certifiable nut case and generally ignore me when I have a guitar (which, curiously, is most of the time... but itjust causes me to make up more horrible blues lyrics about them until they can ignore me no longer).

tom

My younger daughter is named Hollis.  I can't wait for the chance to play  the Ballad of Hollis Brown when she brings home a boy for her first date.

Your brain is a-bleedin'
And your legs can't seem to stand
Your brain is a-bleedin'
And your legs can't seem to stand
Your eyes fix on the shortgun
That you're holdin' in your hand.

That ought to impress the lad.

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2005, 06:43:49 AM »
Hell all, I'm Geff, 19 years, blues fanatic since the the water popped. Charlie Patton is the living son of God and I'm hear to spread the word.

Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2005, 06:49:10 AM »
Welcome Geff!  However, you'll be preaching to the choir. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal