collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Lightnin' Hopkins couldn't play without his sunglasses. But the reason for that is Lightnin' Hopkins was extremely cross-eyed. He wasn't tryin' to be cool - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Post-War Country Blues--A Hit Parade  (Read 4105 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Post-War Country Blues--A Hit Parade
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
A reminder that 3 Wright Holmes tracks can be found on the Weenieology Rare and Unusual Post-War Blues disc 1, for those of you who may have that. And Charlie Booker's No Ridin' Blues was on the CD that came with Gayle Dean Wardlow's Chasin' That Devil Music.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:19:58 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 05:26:21 AM »
How about the artists from the Florida Folklife Collection?

I searched YouTube and found Emmet Murray,

Richard Williams (with Lilly B. Williams and Ella Mae Wilson),

And Moses Williams.

I also came by Little / Harmonica Sammy Davis' only Trix 45, "Someday Blues" and am wondering who provided the guitar accompaniment? Perhaps Mr. Lowry might remember, if he sees this?

Cheers

Pan

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »

I also came by Little / Harmonica Sammy Davis' only Trix 45, "Someday Blues" and am wondering who provided the guitar accompaniment? Perhaps Mr. Lowry might remember, if he sees this?

Pan
Being in Australia he's probably fast asleep so I'll post this until he can provide "chapter & verse".

LITTLE SAM DAVIS
V/h/g -1 with Dan DelSanto (g).
         Poughkeepsie, NY, 31 Jan 1971
71-0177   Shake and finger-pop    unissued
71-0178   Baby, scratch my back   unissued
71-0179   Sam?s swing [inst]     Trix 4505
71-0180   Stormy Monday -1       unissued
71-0181   Your funeral and my trial   unissued
71-0182   Someday blues            Trix 4505

The full Trix discography can be viewed at http://www.wirz.de/music/trixfrm.htm but I guess Pan you've already looked at it.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »

Recorded in Poughkeepsie?  Peter, where in Poughkeepsie?  I don't hear any traffic noise, so it couldn't have been Dan's house on Church Street.   :)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »

Pan
Being in Australia he's probably fast asleep so I'll post this until he can provide "chapter & verse".

LITTLE SAM DAVIS
V/h/g -1 with Dan DelSanto (g).
71-0177   Shake and finger-pop    unissued
71-0178   Baby, scratch my back   unissued
71-0179   Sam?s swing [inst]     Trix 4505
71-0180   Stormy Monday -1       unissued
71-0181   Your funeral and my trial   unissued
71-0182   Someday blues            Trix 4505

The full Trix discography can be viewed at http://www.wirz.de/music/trixfrm.htm but I guess Pan you've already looked at it.

Thanks, Bunker Hill. I did look at Stefan's site.  :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline oddenda

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2013, 04:14:43 AM »
dj -

Since you asked nicely! Recorded in Sam's apartment in a building on Main Street before it was "malled". He was upstairs a couple of floors and in the back of the building. I was using two Sony ECM-21 electret mics w. cardioid pick-up pattern. I got Sam out and about playing in local bars and on Eddie Kirkland's band album ["The Devil... and other blues demons"]. Took Val Wilmer to hear him at Smitty's (where his 45 and Eddie's were on the jukebox - "my" only jukebox exposure!) - she did a piece on him for MELODY MAKER comparing him favorably with Little Walter. I was with Sam at Smitty's the night his wife died. He was called by the hospital - I watched him fall apart at the seams before my eyes and was totally powerless to do anything to help. He later fell into a bottle and disappeared in spite of Little Eliot's efforts to help with gigs. Doug Price effectively re-rediscovered him years later via his radio show and the rest is history. Sam lives (if still so) in a nursing home after strokes. The album issued by Delmark is brilliant and what I had hoped to do with Sam, but t'was not to be as alcohol and pain took him "down" while I was still active. A fine player/singer and a genuinely nice person.

Peter B.

p.s. -"Stormy Monday" is by Sam alone w. Dan's Martin... playing left-handed.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
Thanks, Peter. 

I have to say that one of my fondest wishes is that at some point you'll get back to New Jersey and that all the material you recorded for Trix will be made available in some form.  You seemed to have a knack for finding interesting artists, getting good music out of them, and recording it well.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 01:10:08 AM »
dj -

Thanks for that vote of appreciation - they are few and far between. I've laid out over eighty albums from my tapes, but physically getting a hold on them is the problem. I may be able to get digital dubs from the LofC, but don't hold your breath. Dubs were made there when I was working with Alan Lomax back in the day on what eventually became "The Deep River of Song" of the Alan Lomax collection on Rounder.

pbl

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »
The "anti-war" blues thread reminded me of another postwar favorite: James Scott Blues Rockers with L.B. Lawson. They recorded 5 songs for Sun circa 1951 (all unissued). L.B. Lawson was the vocalist, and James Scott, Jr., was the lead guitarist, providing more of that on-the-fly improvisation on electric guitar:

"Flypaper Boogie"
"Got My Call Card"
"Scott's Boogie"
"Missing In Action"
"Can't Love Me And My Money (sic) Too" (to my ears, Lawson is singing "buddy," not "money")

Unfortunately, I cannot find a link to any of these songs on YouTube, etc.

James Scott also recorded a pretty great version of Boyd Gilmore's "All In My Dreams" in the 1960's for a tiny Greenville, Mississippi label called Big Beat. He called it: "I Had A Dream I Love My Baby & I Can?t Do Without Her Love." About as fine a title as you can find. I don't see this anywhere on the web, sadly, but I have the 45 and it's great fun.
Jeff

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 08:56:56 AM »
I think this qualifies, it was posted on the Facebook RBF page.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
That is a really cool track, Phil.  Thanks for posting it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline evan

• Howdy!
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2016, 02:18:41 PM »
Good ol' William 'Talking Boy' Stewart

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 08:08:12 AM »
Check out my Radio Show/Podcast Post War Country Blues episode
https://soundcloud.com/btasoundsradio/bta-sounds-radio-episode-8-post-war-country-blues
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal