collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well, it's just some lot of stuff that we made up and put in there - R.L. Burnside on the meaning of "Love is the Devil but It Won't Get Me"

Author Topic: Homemade repairs  (Read 841 times)

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
Homemade repairs
« on: October 06, 2015, 01:38:25 AM »
Hey guys I have 1930 Harmony guitar that plays and sounds amazing absolutely love it. I found it at an antique store in southern Oregon it has some pretty big cracks along the back of the guitar and to get it fixed at a luthier would be pricey. Any advice on home repairs would be awesome. Someone told me to get hide glue and mix a little bit of sawdust in with it and clap it down for a couple days while it dries. Anyone have experience with this?

Offline Lastfirstface

Re: Homemade repairs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:18:56 AM »
Cleating the cracks from the inside would probably be the way to go.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
Stay away from glue and sawdust. If the day ever comes when you or someone else wants to have it repaired properly, it will make the job difficult, if not impossible. I agree that for now, cleats are the way to go.

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »
  It's been a while since I checked in here, but just saw this post.  I would highly recommend taking the guitar to a luthier for some in person advice.  Lots of us are busy, but I'm always happy to give some pointers to a DIY'er.  I'd rather know the job is being done close to right with good info, than poorly with the wrong method.  Hide glue is good, but definitely stay away from dust.  There's a lot of little details to fixing an instrument and every situation is unique.  I don't know where you live, but if you're ever in Seattle, you'd be most welcome to come by and say hello, and I'd happily point you in the right direction to fixing your instruments properly. 

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal