collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wouldn't mind dyin', I'd go by myself. Wouldn't mind dyin' if dyin' was all - Blind Willie Johnson, Bye And Bye I'm Goin' To See The King

Author Topic: Memphis Country Blues - Help!  (Read 3458 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Memphis Country Blues - Help!
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
I recently took a weekend job as a tour guide with Backbeat Tours, which puts a guy with a guitar, PA & mic and driver on a bus and thern drives around Memphis past sites that are significant in Memphis music history (Beale Street, Church Park, Cotton Row, Ellis Auditorium, etc.)  Most of the guides focus their spiels, songs and stories around the careers of Elvis, BB King, Johnny Cash, Sun Studios, STAX, etc., and while I will have to cover some of this material as well, I want the main focus of my presentation to be about the "music before the music" that Memphis is now most known for.

To this end, I wish to invite the member of Weenie Campbell to help me formulate a set list and talking points to cover as I show the out-of-towners around this wonderfully rich musical city.  I need to know

1.  Who lived/recorded here in Memphis in the 1920's/30's and before?
2.  What are some interesting/funny anecdotes that relate to happenings with musicians in Memphis in that era?
3.  What are the important songs/artists that I should incorporate in my act?
4.  What books/articles are extant that cover this period (country blues/classic blues/jug bands) specifically in Memphis?
5.  What am I missing/what questions am I not asking that should be considered?

I am not a total novice - I am familiar with Gus Cannon and the Memphis Jug Bands, with Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy.  I know that Bukka White moved up to Memphis, and if I'm not mistaken Mississippi John Hurt did one of his two recording sessions here.  I already know and have planned to play "When the Leveee Breaks" (Memphis Minnie), "Lindyberg Hop" and "E. H. Crump Blues" (Memphis Jug Band), "Jitterbug Swing" (Bukka White), "Minglewood BLues" or "Viola Lee Blues" (Cannon's Jug Stompers), and perhaps a John Hurt song recorded in Memphis ("Sliding Delta?").  But I'm sure I am missing a lot.  I have emailed Dr. David Evans to ask his advice, and will talk about this with Andy Cohen, but I'm sure there are lots of you out there who could offer songs, artists and anecdotes that will really make this tour shine on the country blues.  Please help me turn people on to the fact that there is more to Memphis music than Elvis and B.B. King!

Offline CF

Re: Memphis Country Blues - Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »
You'll want to mention Frank Stokes & his partner Dan Sane (the Beale St. Sheiks) & their tune 'Mr. Crump Don't Like It'.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
You'll want to mention Frank Stokes & his partner Dan Sane (the Beale St. Sheiks) & their tune 'Mr. Crump Don't Like It'.

I think this is the same as the song I refer to as "E. H. Crump Blues."  Are these substantially similar lyrics to W.C. Handy's "Memphis Blues?"  As part of our tour notes, we are supposed to say that "Handy wrote the song while standing at the cigar counter of Pee Wee's Saloon on Beale Street.  Likely the talk was of mayoral candidate EH Crump, whose principal political promise was to clean up the dance halls and saloons in Memphis, particularly on Beale Street...  The song caught on and Crump decided to make lemons into lemonade.  He hired Handy to re-write the song in support of his campaign and, largely on the popularity of the song, won the election."

Obviously Handy did not write the original.  Anybody know how much of the rest of this story is true or false?

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:13:02 PM »
Regarding anecdotes, here's a great article Bunker Hill posted a while ago:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=2584.0

Cheers

Pan

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
Too bad Bengt Olsson's Memphis Blues book has still not been published, as far as I know.

You'll want to mention Furry Lewis, who recorded both prewar and postwar in Memphis, and worked as a street cleaner in the city. If you can get your hands on Walking a Blues Road by Samuel Charters, he devotes a number of pages to stories of his postwar dealings and recordings of Furry, as well as time spent with Will Shade, Gus Cannon, and recording Memphis Willie B., Willie Borum, who made a couple sides as a backup musician in the 30s for some Hattie Hart songs, but then was recorded by Charters in the 60s.

I'd also say you'll want to mention the great Robert Wilkins, who, while from Hernando MS, played in Memphis and died there.

Document has four or so compilations devoted to Memphis. A number of relatively obscure artists, and I don't know how obscure you want to get. Some sessions were done in Memphis, others were done elsewhere.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
Nothing But the Blues by Lawrence Cohn has quite a bit on the Memphis blues scene..Tom

Offline unezrider

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »
hello friend,
i believe sleepy john estes was a memphis guy. & jack kelly was a guy i always dug.
also the pre sun records, (memphis recording studio) sides by the likes of roscoe gordon, howlin wolf, joe hill louis, walter horton & pat hare (among others) could be interesting topic & not the usual sun records line up.
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »
This is one of those times when Bengr Olsson's long out of print 1970 Memphis Blues (Studio Vista Paperbacks, 1970 112 pps) and would come into its own as a basis for such a project.

Offline hortig78rpm

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:44:51 PM »
hello

Ive been in memphis in 198o and 1981 meeting and recording the last old time musicians. stories: furry lewis is said, that he told everybody, who visited him and wanted to hear him play: " I`d play for you, but my guitar is at pawn, but if you`ve got 1oo bugs you can get it out, and I`ll play for you".  after finished, furry went back to the pawn shop to get his 1oo bugs. It`s also said, that he`d got two, three guitars in various pawn`s around memphis.
willie borum had stopped playing, mose vinson and memphis npiano red kept up playing the old barrelhouse piano, and the biggest surprise had been a visit to grandma dixie, a 85 years old white ragtime pianist, which used to play with w.c.handy on a river boat. thanks to harry goodwin, who did a lot of research into the memphis blues ( sorry, long dead). paul savarin , self declared savior of the blues, let ` em perform in his restaurant " blues alley", pianist booker t.laury as intermission and the "nicest act" was old time jugband lady little laura dukes, dressed in a ballet-like pink
dress, accompanied by an out of "what to do" jazz band.
the widow of legend pianist blind clyde church was still living, but I`d not found her. the "center of southern folklore", fitted with a large amount of donations even did`nt know how much old time blues-people had been around at that time.
sorry bout that, for europeans did the most  work there (axel k?stner, bengt olson, gianni marcucci and....myself)
best regards
mike

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 07:33:03 AM »
The good news is that copies of Bengt Olsson's book abound in Memphis.  I did a quick search online and found one copy in the University of Memphis Music Library and no less than three copies at the main branch of the public library.  The bad news is that none are circulating - all are reference materials, which means I will be spending lots of time (and copy machine dimes) at the library in the near future.

Thanks to everyone who replied for such good leads.  If any of you are in Memphis from June 2010 or after, be sure to catch the Sunday 1:30pm "Memphis Mojo" Tour on the Backbeat Tour bus, where I will be giving the history of Memphis (Country) Blues and Jugband Music in story and song.

www.backbeattours.com

Again, thanks much everyone!  I will continue to check in to see if anybody else chimes in.  I'm particularly interested in anecdotes at this point - I've got a good feel for artist and repertoire, but I still need good, succinct, funny or poignant stories to pepper the tour with.  Love the one about Furry Lewis always needing $100 to get his guitar out of pawn anytime anybody came to get him to play.

Tennessee Tom C (the Tennessee Tom Cat)
http://www.myspace.com/sidestreetsteppers

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
The good news is that copies of Bengt Olsson's book abound in Memphis.  I did a quick search online and found one copy in the University of Memphis Music Library and no less than three copies at the main branch of the public library.  The bad news is that none are circulating - all are reference materials, which means I will be spending lots of time (and copy machine dimes) at the library in the near future.
It's reassuring that forty years ago those Memphis institutions had the good sense to invest in them.

Bengt had been working on a vastly expanded update for some years and was hopeful of finding a publisher but unfortunately he died before it could come to fruition. I think there may have been some discussion here as to what the actual status of the manauscript was.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »
Yes, 'twas the expanded edition I was thinking of. And BH is correct, there has been discussion of that here at http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=4182.0 and it at least seemed like publication would proceed posthumously, but now still no news.

Offline hortig78rpm

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
when I visited fury in 198o, he agreed to play for me on monday, caUSE  he would`nt play on sunday. I only had to bring a bottle of " 1oo%"proof" with me. for me as an european it took time to find out what`s about that.
he played in a wonderfull out of tune guitar, showed me his false teeth, which he hid under his bad, meanwhile many folks gathered in his house, thinking I`d bee the doctor, for the only white man, who comes to that part of memphis was the doctor. we both drank all the bear and whiskey ending up furry dry and me completly drunk.  he died some months later.
next year, at the end of a long trip through texas and mississippi, I stayed some days in memphis, I met harry goodwin, who drove me up to graqndma dixie`s home. a nice little ( her feet did hardly reach the pedals) old woman in her mid 8o`s, reculant that she did`nt comb her hair played a number of ragtimes and old forgotten minstrel numbers.
she had a light disabled daughter ( must have been around 4o yrs old, but dressed up as a doll of 1o) which could play banjo and uke and together they played some old southern songs. she only showed up on a LP sampler of a memphis blues festival with one or two numbers, and died totally in  obscurity.

mose vonson at that time was a heavy drinker and did`nt perform too much, but we recorded a lot of his wonderfull barrelhouse piano. memphis piano red williams, a big ( and big hearted) albino had been in europe between my two visits, where he first drank milk in his life( he told me), and mixed it up with whiskey, great fun, but for a session with vinson he did`nt show up. 
    regards mike

Tags: Memphis 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal