collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Every time I start drinkin', my baby rolls 'cross my mind - Charley Jordan, Two Street Blues

Author Topic: What have I bought..  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
What have I bought..
« on: August 14, 2004, 04:04:31 PM »
I have just aquired the little beauty which plays and feels really great... don't tell my wife  :-X

There are no markings other than stamps inside the body saying "Sep 1938" and "Oct 1938" - it's got a 'V' neck and has undoubtedly seen some wear. I had it roadtested  by some good players before buying it and all concluded it sounded great  and I should buy it on condition my playing must improve do it some justice!

We understand it to be a National Rosita, but can anyone confirm it? I'm going to keep it whatever as it is just so nice :P 

I hope the attachments work!

[attachment deleted by admin]
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: What have I bought..
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 04:41:05 PM »
Congrats Richard - looks really funky.? I like the lyre shapes in the cover plate... unusual.

This description sounds pretty accurate:

Rosita.
Maple veneer body probably made by Harmony, lyre-shaped holes in upper body, trapeze tailpiece, bound top and back, 14 frets clear of the body, ebonized fingerboard, dot fingerboard inlays, slotted peghead, 2-tone mahogany finish, round or square neck. In 1937 F-holes replaced the lyre shaped holes in the upper body. Available 1933 to 1939.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/national.html#wood

If it plays and sound good - what more do you want.  change the damn strings - they look awful and may require a tetnus shot.  ;)

Cheers,
slack
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 04:42:26 PM by Slack »

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 04:05:32 AM »
Slack, thanks.

I suppose my underlying doubts was that this is 12 fret and everything seems to say Rosita's should have 14 frets. Also, with no National logo and not having seen this coverplate design before I thought it worth posting for comments - whatever it's a great toy :P

Come to that, I have not seen a pic of a Rosita at all  :-\  could it be some other model?

Regarding tetnus, I'll play it with thick gloves until I can afford to change the strings  ;D

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 04:38:12 AM »
Isn't this similar to the reso Muddy Waters is pictured playing with Son Sims?

By the way I can vouch for the fact that this guitar sounds good - with the new strings Richard has on it!

Good buy Richard - just need to practice harder now!

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 09:37:45 AM »
Richard,

Go to www.notecannons.com and look at the pics of the Rosita there to see the twin of your guitar.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 09:56:42 AM »
Phil, thanks - I don't doubt what it is, it's the history aspect I was interested in.

Where would I find the Son Sims picture you mention as I seem to draw a blank on that one..?

I'm listening to your cd as I type :)

Offline jed

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 10:15:39 AM »
Good find, Richard.  I really like the coverplate design - also the bookmatching on the top.

Don't change the strings until they become too greasy after eating Weenie grub at PT!

Cheers,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal