collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Fourteen Black Pattis, the most ever found in a single place, now sat in a neat stack in front of Joe Bussard. "Some man gave 'em to my sister back in 1927," the old man was explaining. "We played 'em once, but we don't care much for blues and such, so we packed 'em away and they've been there ever since - Joe Bussard, story by Eddie Dean, washingtoncitypaper.com

Author Topic: Notable Strummers  (Read 5597 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Notable Strummers
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 05:44:40 PM »

You right, Dave. Case in point--keep a close eye on Snook's right hand . . .

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 03:17:51 PM »
Willie B. Thomas - Both Harry Oster and Chris Strachwitz and Paul Oliver recorded him singing and playing guitar with Butch cage in Zachary Louisiana in the years around 1960.  Thomas' strumming fell overwhelmingly into a pretty basic bass/chord bass/chord pattern with some occasional upsweeps with his fingers.  At first listen, I wasn't too impressed at what he was doing.  But after a few listens, I began to realize that Thomas' guitar strumming is the solid rock over which Cage's fiddle and the pair's duet singing supply both the melodic and the rhythmic interest, and that if he'd tried to get much fancier, the whole performance would have degenerated into a shambles. 

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »
We're running on the same track at present, I just got to the end of the Arhoolie Jam Session CD myself and was thinking the same thing. That is a truly great comp.

Offline Roscoe

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 08:05:27 AM »
not only good strummers but a good shot too. henry townsend told me jd short stabbed him in the back so he shot him with his smith and wesson 32.
roscoe

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 02:32:32 PM »
I mentioned the Two Gospel Keys in the CDs You're Listening To thread, and the guitar player was Emma Daniels, a mean strummer who has to keep up to Mother Sally Jones' tambourine.

Offline Michael Cardenas

• traditional Blues singer & slide guitarist
    • Myspace
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 03:07:11 PM »
Garfield Akers and Joe Callicot Cottonfield Blues is a strumfest.

Barbecue Bob's 12 string strumming  gets pretty out there when combined with the grungy IV chord he uses in open G. Yo Yo Blues is the classic example but it goes through all his playing. He turns the strum patterns into riffs by hitting just the right strings and frets.

It's a big part of Fred McDowell and Blind Willie Johnson's sound too. I guess slide players might feature heavily here.

What about Scrapper? Or does that thing he does count as a 'rake'?
I sure do agree with all this, but on the subject of Garfield Akers I want to throw something out there... I have a suspicion (personal taste) he just might be the best singer, so I'm curious as to who everyone feels has a better vocal presentation and yes I know it's all bias, but who cares I would still like to know who has the better pipes.
LISTEN TO BLUES MUSIC

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »
I sure do agree with all this, but on the subject of Garfield Akers I want to throw something out there... I have a suspicion (personal taste) he just might be the best singer, so I'm curious as to who everyone feels has a better vocal presentation and yes I know it's all bias, but who cares I would still like to know who has the better pipes.

Akers recorded so little - on the early stuff, comparing Akers to Callicott, I prefer Akers...  but Callicott's recordings as an older man - wow.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »
Hi, Michael.  Check out the thread here for a discussion of favorite singers. 

Offline Michael Cardenas

• traditional Blues singer & slide guitarist
    • Myspace
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »

Akers recorded so little - on the early stuff, comparing Akers to Callicott, I prefer Akers...  but Callicott's recordings as an older man - wow.
Joe's got it going on, but Akers gets to me. Short catalog aside - Garfield Akers or Henry Thomas?
LISTEN TO BLUES MUSIC

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 03:34:17 PM »
Short catalog aside - Garfield Akers or Henry Thomas?

yes.

Offline Baird

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »
Walter Hawkins sounds like he's doing some nice strumming in 'A Rag Blues'.

Buddy Boy Hawkins has some great strumming in 'Awful Fix'.

Mister Steve

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
Frank Stokes.  And another round of applause for Sleepy John Estes.

At the end of the day there's nothin' more underrated than strummin'...

Snooks Eaglin...yes indeed!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:22:46 AM by stevej »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal