collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The secret of music is in the altos and the baltos... it's in the highness and the lowness of the pitch - Son House

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222082 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2005, 08:44:18 AM »
Welcome Gooch .. glad you found us!

dabluz

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2005, 06:47:18 AM »
i just found it a few weeks ago, great forum. i have been soaking up all the great info. i agree about john hurt, my idol.  8)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2005, 09:42:46 AM »
Welcome, dabluz!

FiddlinBlues

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2005, 07:49:26 PM »
My name is Ron.? I've been a country blues fan for 25 plus years.? I'm an old time fiddler, but my heart is into playing blues fiddle.? However, as a country blues fiddler,? professional opportunities are limited? ;)

I was born in California, but currently reside in Western North Carolina.? I'm an Electrician and run my own business.? When I'm at home I don't get to play much, but festival season is another story.?

I? have been to Port Townsend a few times, but never to the Blues event there, just to "Fiddle Tunes"? I'd love to go to the Blues event someday...

I only recently discovered weeniecambell, thanks to a buddy of mine in MASS (hello Bill).? I've been spreading the word since I believe this to be the best website the world has ever seen :D

I have a CD soon to be available of Jug Band Music.? It has been a lifelong project of mine, and I'll be sending it to Weenie just as soon as it's in print.? ?

Nice to meet all of you

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2005, 08:37:03 PM »
Hey everybody,
  I'm one of the original weenies and the second longest attendee to the PTCBW. I started in 1995, the second year. Only Deacon has me beat. I will go every year. I like Delta style and slide blues. Maybe with an execption, Henry Townsend and Alvin Hart. I missed Henry at the first workshop but figured out Alvin after studying with him twice.
 The PTCBW is in my opinion the ABSOLUTE BEST VALUE of any workshop in the world. Where else can you mix and mingle with the "real deals" of country blues with so many of them at the same time? I perhaps push the workshop a little too much, but when you have found nirvana.....
go for it.
  Lwoodblues  aka Steve Garnett

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »
...greetings all, I'm Tom, onewent on many of the bb's that I read ... I've been reaping many of the benefits of the Weenie site and want to contribute my part to the 'who are we' list ... born and reside in PA ... grew up in the '60's with all the usual suspects as influences, first learned rudiments of guitar at 16 from a friend, got my own (Framus) a few years later, but wasn't until college (after a stint in the Army) that I became interested in fingerpicking via James Taylor, Woody Guthrie and others in the folkie genre, then my college hosted Roy BookBinder and that did it for me, country blues and a new Martin 000-28 (even though Roy was playing 30's Gibsons at the time)... over the years I've been drawn deeper and deeper into the lure of country blues and the individuals who made the music and it's been a good hobby combining history, folklore, biography, music and vintage guitars ... was a student of Ari Eisinger a few years back which pretty much showed me I was a hack and he's a genius? ^-^? but it did boost my song list greatly, and provided insights into the playing of Blake, Davis and Jefferson ... now, w/ the relatively recent acquisition of a 12-string, I'm working on Blind Willie McTell with the help of Ernie Hawkin's video ... I want to add that, of the many web forums I visit for my various interests, the Weenie forum is, by far, the most informative and friendly site I've visited ... no attitude, no hassle, no trolling, just a stand up community of folk with a common interest to share, so thanks for providing all this ... and I hope in the near future I can post some of my playing...regards, Tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2005, 06:09:50 PM »
Nice meeting you Tom, glad you found us and you are absolutely right - it is a very nice community of folks!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2005, 06:19:39 AM »
Welcome Tom. I sure do envy you being a student of Ari's! His classes at Port Townsend have certainly been some of the high points for me. How do you like Ernie's McTell video? I'm waiting for the dvd (and waiting, and waiting...).

I look forward to hearing some of your playing...

Andrew

Offline jed

« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2005, 10:31:35 AM »
Yo Tom,

Looks like you caught the Spirit of Weenie well:  "no attitude, no hassle, no trolling, just a stand up community of folk with a common interest to share." 

Enjoy!
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »
...thanks, all...Ernie's video is good, he very patient and plays passsages slowly enough with explanation, split screen and all ... actually, the whole video thing for me isn't all that necessary, I'd used TAB w/ audio twenty years ago and did ok w/ that ... I think I need to hear more than I need to see ... needless to say, lessons from a master player were the best...

Offline Deadeye

• Yeee Haaaa
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »
Howdy Folks,

I listen to the radio station all the time.

I've only posted once.

I'll try to stop by more often.

I'd like to learn to play some country blues on my guitar.
I put my guitar down years ago, and mostly forgotten what I used to know. So It'll be like starting over again.

Deadeye
Greenwood, Mississippi

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2005, 04:00:14 PM »
Welcome Deadeye - never too late to pick up that guitar!

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2005, 11:46:34 PM »
Hey Deadeye:

Pick it up. Play it! It'll satisfy your soul.

And it's great fun!

Alex

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2005, 04:03:53 AM »
Deadeye,

Last Fall, I was exactly where you are today: listening to the Juke a lot, lurking in the forums, but someone who had last touched my guitars 20 years ago.  Finally, just before Christmas, I thought "These people sound like they're having so much FUN playing this music, I'd like to do that".  I pulled out my acoustic and started trying to find 10 or 15 minutes a day just to get back into some kind of playing shape.  At first, it WAS like being a beginner again.  My fingers hurt, I clould barely remember the shape of an F major chord, and my two hands just refused to work together.  But you get through that surprisingly quickly.  Three months later I'm just having a blast playing.  Go for it!  You won't regret it.

One word of warning, though.  I'd forgotten that with playing the guitar comes being interested in acquiring more guitars.  I don't want much:  a National Style N to play Blind Boy Fuller stuff, a Fraulini Angelina to play some Atlanta 12-string, one of Neil Harpe's vintage Stellas or maybe a Mike Hauver repro for everything else...  $10,000 should cover that easily.  ;)  If only my wife could see it that way.  For some reason, she thinks that retirement account should actually be for retirement...  :(

Wayno

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2005, 11:55:21 AM »
My name is Wayne, I live near Columbia Missouri.  I've been playing guitar for about 2 1/2 years now and studing fingerpicking for about 1 1/2 years.  Just sorta came across SG's GuitarWorkshop one day on the internet and bought a book\CD and been hooked ever since.  Had never heard any of this music, the instruction CD's was my introduction. Been having a lot of fun with it ever since.  Just wanted to say hello.

Wayne

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal