collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm gonna get drunk one of these nights and tell my sober thoughts - Bill Gaither, Georgia Barrelhouse

Author Topic: Your main guitar(s)?  (Read 57223 times)

Offline rjtwangs

Re: Your main guitar(s)?
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
Mr. O'Muck, I first heard the song 'Stories We Could Tell' by the Everly Brothers, and I have also heard it by John Sebastian , who I think wrote it.

RJ

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
A few weeks ago, I got a message from Tod, the gentleman I bought my 000 from!  He told me some things about it that I had wrong.  I thought it  was retopped by Herb David, but apparently it was Dan Erlewine, and Tod himself did some finish work!  wow, I really enjoyed connecting with Tod again.  He even was kind enough to say that he liked the way I've cared for it.

Mike

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »
 A Ron Phillips tri-cone serial #4 and believe it or not a Johnson single cone wood body reso.

Offline Dom Boggs

« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2008, 12:44:16 AM »
1930's Kalamazoo KG-11, 1920's OS Stella

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2008, 05:54:25 AM »
This past Christmas we were out traveling and my wife and I stopped by a fiddle shop owned by a friend of ours and there was a D35 Guild on the wall.  We walked out with it for a small sum as it needed some work.  It needed  bridge work and had an old crack that had been cleated.  After getting the bridge fixed and a new nut and fret dress, I have ignored many of my other guitars in favor of it. It is very loud and clear.  It is a 1977.

2007 was a good year for guitars.  Besides that Guild, I was also offered a Gibson made Dobro with a slot head and biscuit cone for what some folks paid for it about ten years or so ago.  They apparently bought it "right" back then.  It came with the registration papers intact for the warranty.  It has a black finish and a deep sound.

Let the blues roll on.

RobBob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
At present, and it changes all the time, my main guitars in order of play time are,

Gretsch 6122-1959 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, brand spankin' new, made in Japan. Not really a country blues guitar :P but without doubt the best "players'" guitar I've ever owned and Chet designed it for fingerpicking with its 1 3/4 nut width. I'm working with a pretty solid singer / songwriter (well this Austin you know, even the taxi drivers and mail delivery folks are singer songwriters), helping him arrange and record his songs. Somewhat to my surprise I'm thoroughly enjoying myself, and strangely I seem to be getting a Clarence White Byrds sound on the country genre numbers. We also do some 'swamp boogie in E' stuff and folk blues things. The Gretsch is very versatile, but it always sounds like a Gretsch, which is a good thing.

Martin 000-16 '95 - for country blues and general mucking around

Gibson J-45 Koa Custom - excels at Travis-style acoustic tunes with its super-solid low end and great action, plus it looks the part.

Tonight I'll be setting up my Fender B-Bender Tele to try throwing in some pedal-steel bends at the singer/songwriter thing this week. It's been in its case for way too long.

Offline Dave in Tejas

• David Newton Guitars
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
This is my "daily beater" an L-00 type guitar built of southern cypress that I built to try to use some local woods.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2008, 01:57:26 AM »
This is my "daily beater" an L-00 type guitar built of southern cypress that I built to try to use some local woods.

The L-00 body design has to be one of the best - not too big and not too small and a really attractive shape.  It looks good in a sunburst and plain.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2008, 12:04:20 PM »
And its REMOTE CONTROLLED! WOW!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Dave in Tejas

• David Newton Guitars
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »
Plays itself...

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »
Sorry, its an LG-2! My old '46 small body ,Maine barn cured, mouse nested in Gibson doesn't have the original neck block not to mention a label, so someone told me they thought it was an LG-0 but upon closer investigation it is indeed X braced and probably had the sunburst removed. WAIT A MINUTE! Does that means it sounds worse?!?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2008, 02:38:50 AM »
Sorry, its an LG-2!  WAIT A MINUTE! Does that means it sounds worse?!?

Probably better...

Cue the ladder-braced Mafia...

Ha, ha, ha  >:D >:D
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Ear of the beholder. If YOU think it sounds better, then it sounds better to you. Who could argue with that?-G-

You don't eat what you can't stand 'cause someone else says they like it, do you? I don't understand this fascination with putting down what other people state that they like, or worse, stating that others base their own preferences on those of others (or needing to imply you don't?). We're mostly all adults here, right? Sometimes the younger set behave more maturely than the older set.

There's no accounting for taste, so just get over it.-G--G--G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »
I had my converted Kalamazoo KHG-14 for about a year and decided to have the saddle compensated because it is off a few cents at the 12th fret. I took it to Gryphon and was discussing it with Frank Ford and I asked if it might change the sound- I told him the intonation didn't really bother me and that I really liked the sound the way it was. So Frank said don't change it if YOU like it.

My main 4 acoustic:
Larrivee OOO-50 (usually in standard E)
NRP Model 97 Tricone(usually in Spanish)
Kalamazoo KHG-14 (usually in Vestapol)
Taylor 355 (I know- usually in standard at C or D)
Main main electric Bass:
'73 Fender Jazz (bought at a pawn shop in '79 so I could play in a friends Punk band 'cause I had Cello experience :P)
My main 2 electrics:
Gretsch 6120-1960 Nashville
MIM cheap Telecaster
both run through either a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Peavey P100 Bass amp.

The only one I purchased new is the Tricone.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline reuellis

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
wow!  you guys are making me jealous!

my three main squeezes:

Epiphone Blues Master (bought in '94 for nearly nothing, have you seen what they are going for now?)
Republic Miniolian
Martin D-12

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal