collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Karaoke bars combine two of the nation's greatest evils: people who shouldn't drink with people who shouldn't sing - Tom Dreesen

Author Topic: Database Maintenance  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Database Maintenance
« on: January 28, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »
Sometime soon, I'm going to take the forum down for some database maintenance and program conversion.

Just a little heads up.

Thanks.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Database Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:03:06 PM »
I'm having a bit of a problem with the conversion --- but you all can still use the forum. 

Back soon -- I hope! :)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »
Well, I've isolated the problem. ...but the host is going to have to fix it - so hopefully he'll reply to my message soon.

We're having fun now. ;)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:40:34 PM »
No probs Slack. I got in, though ppl with bookmarks with ".../mambo/" on the end of the url will be getting the 'down for maintenance' page. Is that under our control or is it the host's Apache NAT setup?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:51:23 PM »
Yes, the down for maintenance is under our control... the message that is. :)  Still having a problem with the CMS conversion, but we'll get it eventually.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:09:38 AM »
OK, after a good nights sleep, I have some things to try this morning, :) in the meantime I've re-directed the startup urls to load the forum, so hopefully folks can find their way back to the forum. (Reminds me of the old days.)

Just to let folks know the reason for all this trouble is to keep an open upgrade path for our forum software... without getting too technical there has been a licensing dispute between the various software components that weeniecampbell.com uses and so we've needed to switch our content management system from Joomla to Mambo (where it was originally).  While not perfect, we like this combination and so in the long run will be worth the pain of switching.

Thanks for your patience.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 07:20:31 AM »
People may want to avoid using their old bookmarks for WeenieCampbell for now. If the bookmark was set to something like http://weeniecampbell.com/mambo/index.php? etc., it won't work right now. At least it doesn't work for me. A simple http://weeniecampbell.com will bring you here.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 07:39:14 AM »
If they can get to your message that is. 

I'm making progress, I've now made it into the administrator!  :P

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:24:03 AM »
OK, we are back.  There are some components and modules that do not or will work - but I'll look at repairing or replacing those as we go (Who's Logged On, the Events Calendar, the Classifieds.) 

You all keep your eyes peeled for any other non-working functions.... you can report them in this topic.

Thanks!
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:54:10 AM »
Slack, looks like we have some fairly bad farkling in places. An example from the Lemon lyrics thread:

Easy Rider Blues ? Blind Lemon Jefferson

Now tell me where my easy rider?s gone
Won?t you tell me where my easy rider?s gone
[My easy ridin? women] always in the wrong

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »
OK, I used to have a farkle remover -- I'll see if I can locate.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 10:25:10 AM »
It also doesn't seem to like any rich text characters. For instance I transcribed Crawlin' Baby in Word, and Word automatically uses curly quotes, apostrophes and en dashes -- copying and pasting into the post screen used to result in the forum software converting to straight quotes and dashes. Now all those characters are replaced by question marks after you post.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 11:31:47 AM »
Hi guys,
For what it's worth, I checked the Ed Bell lyrics thread to see if it had been farkled.  It looks clean, so I hope only the posts that employed Word were affected.  It was a big job de-farkling the last time we had to do it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 01:49:17 PM »
Fixed.  This was a bug in the encoding script in this version of Mambo.  The programmer typed "UTF8" when he should have typed "UTF-8" 

:D 

boots

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 05:33:07 AM »
I only have the centre column of the forum at present. Have not looked for a fix yet.

Edit: OK now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:35:58 AM by Boots »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal