collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I did more for you than you understand, you can tell by the bullet holes, mama, now here in my hand - Peetie Wheatstraw, Ice And Snow Blues

Author Topic: You can Say That Again - Quote Drive 2009  (Read 15883 times)

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
Re: You can Say That Again - Quote Drive 2009
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2009, 11:13:41 AM »
I don't know if these are up already, but since Bo Carter's "All Around Man" was on the Juke yesterday and parts of it are now replaying through my mind, I have to add:

"I ain't no milkman, nor no milkman's son/ I can pull yo' titties 'till yo' milkman come." -- Bo Carter, "All Around Man"

and

I ain't no springman, nor no springman's son/ I can work yo' bedsprings 'till yo' springman come." -- Bo Carter, "All Around Man"
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2009, 05:30:39 AM »
"What do you think of when you play? What goes through your mind? What are your real feelings?"  "I don't know. Yeah - that I'm underpaid." - Fictional guitarist Emmett Ray in Sweet and Lowdown

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2009, 01:31:06 AM »
Heard on a record by Champion Jack Dupree playing in my local record shop:

"I woke up this morning, put my hat on upside down"

For some unknown reason that really caught my imagination.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2009, 02:21:38 AM »
Michael,
That's Peetie Wheatstraw's Woke up with the Blues. Was on the Ace of Hearts LP Out Came the Blues c.1963.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:22:51 AM by blueshome »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2009, 04:01:25 AM »
Michael,
That's Peetie Wheatstraw's Woke up with the Blues. Was on the Ace of Hearts LP Out Came the Blues c.1963.
Not near my records but think it's Crazy With The Blues. The sleevenotes quote him as singing "I woke up this morning with my head on upside down". Dupree did indeed record it....

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2009, 06:24:20 AM »
It was a CD issue of a Champion Jack album featuring Ray Warleigh on sax, plus the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation on drums, guitar and bass.  Maybe it was "head" and not "hat", but I'm just quoting what I thought I heard - and for some reason it tickled me.

Heading way down south on the human body, perhaps somebody somewhere recorded a song starting "Woke up this morning, feeling round for my feet" ......
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:27:22 AM by Parlor Picker »
Barbecue Bob

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2009, 08:06:12 AM »
It was a CD issue of a Champion Jack album featuring Ray Warleigh on sax, plus the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation on drums, guitar and bass.  Maybe it was "head" and not "hat", but I'm just quoting what I thought I heard - and for some reason it tickled me.
I have the LP (The Heart Of The Blues Is Sound) must give it a spin  see here under 1969  http://www.wirz.de/music/duprefrm.htm

The quote as given on the Ace Of Hearts LP sleeve has caused mirth and merriment for many a long year since CJD does sing ?hat? not ?head?, as heard by note writer. Either way, as you say, it's an amusing image.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2009, 01:25:32 AM »
And there won't be many people these days can walk into their local record shop and hear Champion Jack playing over the sound system. Our local shop (Grammar School Records) is owned by a friend and another friend works there two days a week.  My son is the shop manager and, along with the others, often plays more interesting stuff.  Selling some new, but mostly second hand, they stock almost every kind of music, as they have the space and there's a market for pretty well everything - even naff easy listening. It's a regular haunt of London based radio DJs etc, because they can find things there that would hardly ever turn up elsewhere - and many record shops have closed down now.

Over the years one of their best selling artists has to be Roger Hubbard, either solo or with his band Buick 6, and not just because he's a local musician, but usually on the strength of total strangers hearing his recordings being played and then electing to buy the CD.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:27:02 AM by Parlor Picker »
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 08:11:56 AM »
A phrase that should live in infamy appears all too often in the Gennett ledgers: "Rejected - too much backwoods." - Richard Nevins, entry on the Shepherd Brothers in R. Crumb's Heroes of Blues, Jazz and Country.

Offline framus12

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »
IT was NICK PERLS founder of Yazoo and Blue Goose...etc.
 that said of guitar playing :
 "Too choppy is a contradiction in terms"

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
"Now I am going to make a statement here. I don't know whether it fits into the category of other people's statements or not. But whether it fits into their category or whether it doesn't, it obviously fits into some category. So in that respect, it is no different from their statements. However, let me try making my statement..."

From CHUANG TZU: Basic Writings, Translated by Burton Watson (New York: Columbia University Press, 1964), p.38

Offline unezrider

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »
hello friend,

"I know a man that's an evangelist, the tabernacles always full. people come from miles around just to hear him shoot the bull."  uncle dave macon, "jordan am a hard road to travel."
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »
My group of people - Joe Turner, King Curtis, Mickey Baker - used to laugh at all the country blues singers who were backwards musically.  John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Hopkins sang out of meter - we couldn't respect them. - Doc Pomus, quoted in How The Beatles Destroyed Rock 'N' Roll by Elijah Wald.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2009, 08:15:38 PM »
DJ, have you finished that book?  Will you review it in Other Musical Interests? (or someplace) -- I'm betting it is a very good book.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2009, 05:21:28 AM »
My group of people - Joe Turner, King Curtis, Mickey Baker - used to laugh at all the country blues singers who were backwards musically.  John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Hopkins sang out of meter - we couldn't respect them. - Doc Pomus, quoted in How The Beatles Destroyed Rock 'N' Roll by Elijah Wald.
DJ I thought you might appreciate the entire quote as was told to Josh A. Friedman in 1977 and cited in his book "Tell the Truth Until They Bleed: Coming Clean in the Dirty World of Blues and Rock 'n' Roll" (Backbeat, 2008).

Doc taught me how blues was tongue-in-cheek, often self-mocking, all that self-pity not meant in earnest. There were happy blues and sad blues. But the two classic distinctions were between urban and delta blues. The urban had more to do with jazz, swing and big bands. City and ghetto life. Whereas the delta blues was folksy, using bottleneck guitars, cigar box instruments.

"Guys mumbling," as Doc saw it, "ya never knew what the hell they were talkin' about. The Chicago people were crossover guys, like Muddy Waters, who I eventually liked.

"You know what's amazing?" he continued "When I made my 78 records, we used to laugh at all the singers like Muddy Waters. When the rock stars started using them as opening acts, all of a sudden these guys became well known. My group of people - Joe Turner, King Curtis, Mickey Baker - used to laugh at all the country-blues singers who were backwards musically. John Lee Hooker Lightnin? Hopkins sang out of meter - we couldn't respect them."

Tags: quotes 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal