collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It can be argued that Chess is the Robert Johnson of record labels: over-emphasized and sometimes over-hyped, endlessly recycled, barnacled with legends and namechecked by ignorati anxious to establish their cred. And yet - also like Robert Johnson - in an active life that was fairly short, Chess produced music of vast artistic and historical importance - Chris Smith, review of Chess Blues various artist compilations in the 2006 Penguin Guide To Blues Recordings p. 780

Author Topic: Play On, John: A Life In Music  (Read 976 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Play On, John: A Life In Music
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:48:41 AM »
I don't think that this has been brought up here before but there is a very enjoyable 2007 documentary about John Cohen available to watch in its entirety at the Smithsonian Folkways site: http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/131378/play-on-john-a-life-in-music

Recommended, especially for banjo nerds. Film of Roscoe Holcomb, The New Lost City Ramblers, footage of Cohen playing with Bruce Molsky, Ray Alden, Rayna Gellert, Pete Seeger and others. Some footage of a very young Dylan goofing with the contents of his guitar case. It all reminded me of how many photos and films that I've seen were shot by Cohen as well.

The button to make the video full-screen is in the top left corner on the Smithsonian player, if you're looking for it for ages like I did.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Play On, John: A Life In Music
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »
Wonderful film!

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
Re: Play On, John: A Life In Music
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »
John is a great guy and a fine artist in several mediums.  Yes and thanks!

Tags: John Cohen 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal