collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well I would holler murder, but I was born to die - William Do-Boy Diamond, The Shaggy Hound

Author Topic: Frank Stokes Article  (Read 1137 times)

Offline harriet

Frank Stokes Article
« on: June 29, 2020, 05:26:10 AM »
Apologies if this has been posted - it's an article on Frank Stokes life:
https://admiredlife.com/memorials/2177?fbclid=IwAR1Ed-lv0xQPBSfq5JbuqfdLoIFh81gLyuwtOPAPsc429-wEgw1Hpg7lpoY

Offline Forgetful Jones

Re: Frank Stokes Article
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 03:02:34 PM »
Thanks for posting this. It was new to me.
I remember coming across a thread here about Pre-Blues music styles by John Miller. I tried searching for it, but there were 150 pages of results! I went through many pages (and went off on many reading tangents along the way) but couldn't find it. Any help finding that post would be greatly appreciated.
Take care

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
Hi Forgetful Jones,
Here is a link to that thread:  https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1393.msg10118#msg10118
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:20:58 PM by Johnm »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
Hi Forgetful Jones,

I thought you might appreciate a mention of the Tag Index, under "Tags" in the menu at the very top of every page. There is a tag for pre-blues which has only two threads under it. Often the Tag Index is a much quicker way to search and there are tags for many general subjects.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 10:46:40 AM »
Hi JohnM & Waxwing-
Thank you both for the link and for the Tag Index tip. I too enjoy Pre-Blues material quite a bit, and that thread is an interesting one. I struggle with some of the musicology mentioned- I have to really turn on the brain when reading about it. I work a little better when I can see the differences of what exactly is being played...but I'm working on it.
Additionally, I've always felt a little uncomfortable singing blues lyrics. It's not the genre, but more of the lines that include some form of "I've got the ______ Blues." I prefer to sing songs without these lines, and I often will eliminate the line of a song that may contain it.
Take care

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 03:48:27 PM »
It's not the genre, but more of the lines that include some form of "I've got the ______ Blues." I prefer to sing songs without these lines, and I often will eliminate the line of a song that may contain it.
Take care

I know what you mean, Forgetful Jones.  Those verses with the Song Title Blues lyrics have always seemed kind of pat to me, sort of like product placement in the middle of a movie.

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:52:01 PM by Johnm »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal