collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's your basic touch that makes the roll... ain't all that hard... - Reverend Gary Davis, on how to pick like Blind Blake

Author Topic: Leadbelly in the Times  (Read 895 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Leadbelly in the Times
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:19:21 PM »
I see that the Smithsonian Channel also has stuff to watch online. Hopefully the Lead Belly documentary mentioned in the article will be viewable.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »
I have to say I love this quote:

?I worry about someone now who cares about the context and history of music,? said Jeff Place, archivist for the Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage and a co-producer. ?Downloading means missing all of that story, so we wanted to create a book that has CDs with it, rather than the other way around ? a museum exhibit in a coffee-table set.?

Obviously, the music is the most important thing in a set like this.  But I also find that knowledge of context and the history of the music and musician (and producer, record company, etc.) really increases my appreciation and enjoyment of the music.  I've downloaded music when that's the only way it's available, but give me a good set of liner notes and full discographical information along with my music and I'll be in heaven.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
If you buy direct from S-F, there's a Promo code good for 20% off: SINGOUTLEAD

It drops the price to $64. Another $5.96 got me  3 Day FedEx shipping to Seattle.

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 12:07:03 AM »
If you buy direct from S-F, there's a Promo code good for 20% off: SINGOUTLEAD

It drops the price to $64. Another $5.96 got me  3 Day FedEx shipping to Seattle.

Ouch... I paid $150...
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »
"Ouch" is right. I usually wait until I've gotten oven my initial excitement before I jump on new releases. And I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to buy them from the source, especially directly from the artist or from the smaller labels who get all the money as opposed to just a slice. But an extra $80 would definitely hurt.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 06:18:59 PM »
Extra $40 in shipping to Canada. No other option. Pass.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »
I agree, Andrew. Beyond a certain point, it's just not worth it. I'm sure that the price will come down--somewhat--once S-F and Amazon aren't the only sellers.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:47:50 AM »
Slightly off topic but the link below allows download of John Cowley's mammoth Library of Congress recordings appraisal of Leadbelly. John fist published this in Blues & Rhythm (1991) and revised it in 2011. When I spoke with John at an event in London earlier this month he's contemplating a further revison!

http://sas-space.sas.ac.uk/3092/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:48:58 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 04:31:29 AM »
"Ouch" is right. I usually wait until I've gotten oven my initial excitement before I jump on new releases. And I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to buy them from the source, especially directly from the artist or from the smaller labels who get all the money as opposed to just a slice. But an extra $80 would definitely hurt.

Haha, I would agree generally, but when my grandma (offering to pay part) asked me what I wanted for Christmas - I couldn't miss the chance. A quick look at my other posts will reveal that I am a compulsive completist. Also, no matter where I get it from, the exchange rate with Australia combined with the shipping would jack up the price anyway.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Tags: Leadbelly 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal