collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Nobody else will play whupped 78's - Slack re. the juke

Author Topic: Woman Woman  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Woman Woman
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:06:57 AM »
Probably foolhardy to take this on, but its a great tune and John M was kind enough to teach it, so....

I haven't even tried to replicate the falsetto (with good reason!) or the wildness of the guitar fills.  I made a point, once I'd got a handle on the basic guitar part, of not listening  to the original anymore,  and just seeing what I ended up with.  So this is it...

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Woman Woman
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 10:34:02 AM »
Nice job, Slim. What a tune, eh? One of the coolest guitar parts ever. I think this is the best one you've posted to the Back Porch so far. Very smooth.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 12:04:49 PM »
Very nice Slim!  I've been working on several tunes from PT --- and now you've put that one at the top of the queue for me to learn.

Cheers,

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 03:24:50 PM »
Hey - great to hear someone else pick this up.  I've messed with transcribing and playing it myself since I first learned of it here on Weenine.  You're farther into then I am, to be sure!  You sound great.  I think you've got the feel of the guitar part. 

Darn nice - thanks,

tom

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 01:09:32 PM »
I'd say you've got that one nailed! Now for the falsetto???
Prof S

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 03:59:17 AM »
I did try the falsetto to start with, but when I played it back to myself it sounded completely absurd... ;D  Somehow, Ishman makes that falsetto the most grungy and aggressive sounding part of the vocal which is part of what makes it so unusual and distinctive imo.  I simply sounded like a chap messing about in drag...

I think its probably the sort of stylistic weirdness best left to the likes of Mr Bracey rather than me!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 08:29:40 AM »
Nicely played and sung. Though the falsetto you tried sounds weird to you to an outside observer it might work fine... I'd say post it anyway and we will give an honest appraisal, you can always take it down if it doesn't work for the jury. If it does work be happy, I can't do falsetto at all most days.

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:42:12 AM »
Alright.... Purely on the basis that cowardice shouldn't be a reason not to put things on the back porch  ;)

This is two verses with falsetto.  The guitar is a bit wobbly because I had to think about the falsetto, but you'll get the idea....

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:56:14 PM »
Slim, you're a  brave man! Total Respect from Scratchy Towers! I think that's not a bad shot at it - and no way could I ever get that high! The hardest thing is getting a smooth transition from the falsetto back to 'normal', I always find. But another thing I've found is that it does get easier with practice - maybe because you tend to 'go for it' more, the more often you try.Once again, thanks for posting - both versions.

prof S

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 03:59:33 PM »
What Scratchy said. It must be great to have a trick like that up your sleeve, differentiates you from everybody else. I agree the transition is the part that needs the practise to get it smooth. I reckon go for it.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 05:10:27 PM »
Well done, Simon!  I was all set to support you in choosing not to do the falsetto, and then you went and recorded it before I had a chance to post that.  I think it is definitely worth pursuing/developing.  Have you tried doing it really loud yet, as though you are trying to provoke complaints from the neighbors?  I have a feeling that's where it may sound best.  I know I constantly have to remind myself to move more air when I sing.  Guitar sounds good, too, though I'd love to hear it slower, so you land on those grungy bends and fills with great weight.  Really good work.  I hope to hear it again as it continues to evolve.
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 04:53:05 PM »
hats off for taking the leap on the falsetto - very tough tune to pull off in any case...  nice!

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 01:45:41 AM »
Blimey- thats old.  Are you having a trawl of old back porch posts currently?  Or just a Bracey phase?! :D

I confess that whilst I play the tune quite a lot now (and its improved (i think) and changed a bit with time) I don't do the falsetto!

I've been thinking for a while now it might be interesting to go back and re record one or two old Back Porch postings as a now and then comparison.  Maybe this is the one to do.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:39:42 AM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline BlueInGreen

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 06:29:11 AM »
More great listening on this song. Can't believe the level of talent and interest in country blues on this site!

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 08:38:41 AM »
Well here goes.  The up to date version attached.  Would be interested in opnions on what I've improved with time and most importantly, whether I've spoiled anything!

Main differences are the vocal should be more relaxed and practised, the recording kit is better, and this time the guitar is my Fraulini Erma rather than a battered '46 Harmony Stella.  Oh- and crucially I have an unwound third on most of my guitars these days, this one included, which has allowed me to grunge up the tag section a bit by pushing the notes at the 1st and 2nd fret of the g string, dischordantly sharp.

Take isn't quite perfect, but the wife and kids will be back shortly  :o

EDIT: Ugh- just realised that the end of another take kicks in at the end of the mp3...  Will try to change / resolve tomorrow!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:37:29 PM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »
Nice Job with & without the falsetto. :)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »
Yes, nice job, Slim.  The over-bends sound great and I like the way you're bumping around the sixth string behind the concluding lick--very cool.
All best,
Johnm

bayrum78

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 01:50:07 PM »
Nice playing and singing! I just heard Bracey's recording of this song for the 1st time up on YouTube and was pretty floored by it. I immediately ordered Document's CD then searched for Bracy topics on weenie and ran across this. Just hazarding a guess - is it in standard tuning key of E?

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 02:52:28 PM »
Just hazarding a guess - is it in standard tuning key of E?

Yes.

bayrum78

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 07:31:09 AM »
Nice job all the way around. Your picking patterns are very well executed and flow nicely.Definately keep the falsetto, it works...and is cool!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal