collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got myself a mamma, she's always got me feeling blue. She acts just like the weather, I don't know what she's going to do - Lonnie Johnson, "Fickle Mamma Blues" (1927)

Author Topic: Me doing a cover of Johnny Cash's "Hey Porter" on 1938 Regal 12  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Baltimore Bob

Someone put up a nice static image of Johnny on it for me.

I was inspired by the Ry Cooder version but wound up learning it from a video by Roy Cruz.

It's not really pre-war blues playing -- I'm posting it more for the singing, and I would welcome any comments (I can handle bad ones).

I don't think of this as blues, but a couple of people who heard it called a "blues song" or "a blues version."

http://www.youtube.com/v/A6yq0HU8ml0?fs=1
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:44:43 PM by Slack »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Me doing a cover of Johnny Cash's "Hey Porter" on 1938 Regal 12
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:11:48 AM »
Really liked this - both the singing and the playing. This song has been a staple of the repertoire of Ray Stubbs and His Amazing One Man Blues Band for many years. If you haven't heard Ray, check him out.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:03:12 AM »
Really liked this - both the singing and the playing. This song has been a staple of the repertoire of Ray Stubbs and His Amazing One Man Blues Band for many years. If you haven't heard Ray, check him out.
Thanks Scratchy, I'd forgotten Stubbsy does that one. Ray is a national treasure.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:18:48 AM »
Thanks Scratchy, I'd forgotten Stubbsy does that one. Ray is a national treasure.
Posted on: Today at 10:11:48 Posted by: Prof Scratchy/i]

And if memory serves, Stubbsy does it on the 12 string too (plus footpedals/bass drum/washboard/harmonica etc etc)!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
And if memory serves, Stubbsy does it on the 12 string too (plus footpedals/bass drum/washboard/harmonica etc etc)!

That's right. He has this amazing ability to get all the sounds he wants to suit the song he's doing and never falls into the trap of sounding like a novelty act.

Edit: Don't know what's going on here, the Weenie gremlins are putting my reply into the quote box... Oh well, who cares?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:55:09 AM by uncle bud »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:58:14 AM »

That's right. He has this amazing ability to get all the sounds he wants to suit the song he's doing and never falls into the trap of sounding like a novelty act.

Edit: Don't know what's going on here, the Weenie gremlins are putting my reply into the quote box... Oh well, who cares?

The opening quote tag was missing the closing square bracket. Must've typed over it accidentally.

Bob, enjoyed this, nice singing and dig the bigass sound from the 12-string.

Offline Baltimore Bob

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 01:24:25 PM »
Prof Scratchy and uncle bud -- Many, many thanks for the kind words! I can't tell you how much I appreciate hearing back about this song.

Yeah, that's a crude recording but the Regal has a very full sound. Great for doing bass runs with a little vibrato (I don't remember if I did it on that one).

My main guitar for playing out is a 1930 National Style O, but right now I'm putting together a set on the 12-string. I will definitely do Booker White's "District Attorney Blues" and "Aberdeen Mississippi Blues" (only very loosely based on his originals).

Offline onewilyfool

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:19:29 PM »
Man...I LOVE the sound of that 12 string...thanks for posting!!!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal