collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I die, they'll say, "He couldn't play shit, but he sure made it sound good!" - Hound Dog Taylor

Author Topic: Glory of Love-Version 1-barefingered  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Glory of Love-Version 1-barefingered
« on: March 23, 2010, 03:04:06 PM »

I'm gonna record another one with fingerpicks 'cause i can't decide which I like better. But here's this fer now....

*SHTICK WARNING*
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Glory of Love-Version 1-barefingered
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
fan-freaking-tastic!  so relaxed!  rhythm, baby!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
Brilliant. Love the head tones too.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
i actually posted before you started singing...  that's the best part!

it's all the best part...

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »
tenkink yu Iyam.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:59:50 AM »
Love it - and the shirt is such a good match for the helmet...
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:45:55 AM »
  Glorious!

what helmut?
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »

Oh Lord, O'Muck forgive me.

MuckOVision Jr. Magic Visor does not seem to be working properly! Guitar still sound like crap. I am demanding money back now. Let this stand as a glaring testiment to the evils of caffeine, THC and mandatory furlough days!
All of you who sat through this should demand 1 minute 14 seconds of your life back as well.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:08:40 PM »
Good job there Mellon! I'd forgotten that great bass slide he throws in there on one of the versions. Hey, maybe some more people would like to put up their versions, and we could have a big cyber asynchronous play along in the spirit of Pete Seeger. I once performed in a piece written for twelve guitars at the St. Mark's Church (of beat poetry reading fame). It was an amazing sound I must say, and one I've never heard since. I used my big orange Gretsch to insure volume dominance (ego, ego..tsk.) So if we get ten more versions we'll have an even dozen.

Offline CF

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
Good job(s) guys. I'll leave playing this monster to others, I'd just break it.
I heard this song for the first time about a year ago when Downhome Radio offered a free download of an out of print live Broonzy record. I must've listened to this version of 'Glory of Love' every day last summer. What a remarkable guitar player he was . . . maybe the best pound-for-pound blues guitarist. I think the LP is still available for download at DHRadio here

http://www.downhomeradioshow.com/2008/05/big-bill-broonzy-live-at-club-montmarte-copenhagen-1956/
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 07:58:36 PM »
First of all congratulations for Mr. O'Muck and Bald Melon for their absolutely great renditions for one of my favourite Big Bill tunes.

Also, I'd like to second Cheapfeet's appraisal for the Copenhagen Club Montmartere (a legendary Danish jazz club which I've had the pleasure to visit in the past, but which sadly doesn't exist anymore) Broonzy recordings. I've had them on a C-cassette for years, and I think they are some of the best Broonzy recordings that I've heard. Note that the link Cheapfeet provides is to a selected recording of the event, more material has been published from the same gig.

I notice that both examples of this great tune provided here employ the (IVm) Fminor chord, I hadn't noticed that before in the arrangements I've heard from Broonzy (but maybe memory fails), can you give me examples of more recorded versions of the song by him?

Cheers

Pan

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
Seriously, there's more talent in that sportin' right thumb of yours Mr. OMuck's than in my entire being.
Love that song; Who's next?  With or without aliens.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »
Good job(s) guys. I'll leave playing this monster to others, I'd just break it.
I heard this song for the first time about a year ago when Downhome Radio offered a free download of an out of print live Broonzy record. I must've listened to this version of 'Glory of Love' every day last summer. What a remarkable guitar player he was . . . maybe the best pound-for-pound blues guitarist. I think the LP is still available for download at DHRadio here

http://www.downhomeradioshow.com/2008/05/big-bill-broonzy-live-at-club-montmarte-copenhagen-1956/

Thanks for that, CF!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 11:56:46 AM »
Thanks for the link to the album at the DHRadio site. What a entertainer he was and what a personality the man had! The 1953 Amsterdam Live Concert set is a treat as well (although somewhat  pricey).

http://www.amazon.com/Amsterdam-Live-Concerts-1953-Broonzy/dp/B000FVRRAA

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »
Wow Mike. Thanks for the link to the Copenhagen recordings. I don't remember ever having heard that version and man, does he take it FAST!.Plus there's a whole lot of stuff in there that I've been omitting. And indeed there is no Fm7 in BBB's version. But phuck all that..isn't he just the greatest? Who said pound for pound etc. etc.? I wholeheartedly agree. No one else had the range, the sheer joie de vive, the bounce, the swing and when he wanted to the emotionality as Big Bill. When i garnered the much prized compliment from Gary Davis as being a "right sportin'" guitar player it was when I was playing a Big Bill piece which he made me play over several times. I was surprised that he liked Broonzy after hearing his derision of other players but evidently he held Big Bill in high regard. 'He was a good sportin' guitar player" Davis' religious stuff is on another plane for me but as far as straight ahead and hokum blues go, Big Bill fer me thanks!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal