collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Bring me back the wig I bought you, let your head go bald. When I first met you baby, you had no hair at all - Cannon's Jug Stompers, "Heartbreakin' Blues"

Author Topic: Stop Breakin' Down  (Read 1467 times)

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
Stop Breakin' Down
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:46:33 AM »
Okay I think I have alot of the kinks worked out on this recording thing.  Try this one out and let me know if anyone sees any improvements that can be made as far as recording goes.  Three tracks, guitar and vocals on track one, harp on track two, and knee slaps on track three (mixed down low).  http://www.markmcdonaldblues.com/break.htm

Mark McDonald

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: Stop Breakin' Down
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 06:55:43 PM »
real real nice!  Aside from the great playing and especially nice harp, the recording didn't have any of the distortion or clipping or whatever on my playback.  One minor thing I wonder - is there an electronic reverb or similar effect being added?  It wasn't pervasively and obviously too much, but I think I might have preferred less of the "echoiness".  I'm a fan of natural sound, even though I know effects use is obviously common to make things less "flat".  If you aren't using an electronic effect, I am curious how you got the "hall" sound!  I should add that I am a complete and total hacker, so take it for what its worth. 

tom

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 10:10:06 AM »
Tom,
Lack of distortion is a result of finally gettting the levels right on recording and also converting to mp3 at a higher resolution.   I am trying to get a really solid sounding mp3 for Taxi submissions.  I may even go higher than 128, which is what Breakin' Down is. 

Reverb:  You are so observant.  Reverb is an effect that came with the machine and the reverb unit that I did use was "Hall" with a 0.6 second delay.   

I always like to use some reverb, at least on voice, because, frankly I can use all the help I can get for vocals. My dry vocals, at least to my ear, sounds like crap but with a little reverb it makes it somewhat tolerable.

Later.

Mark

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 02:20:46 PM »
Hi Mark

Now you've got it. Not only is your playing and singing great, but the sound is too.
Crystal clear guitar with great sound. You are so good with the harp. Personally I didn't mind the little reverb in your vocals at all, not that you need it, it's just a matter of personal taste. I like a little bit of reverb on just about anybody's vocals.

I wish I could play and record like this.

Pan

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal