collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Baby, when I die, put daddy's picture in a frame.... So when daddy's gone you can see him just the same - Papa Harvey Hull & Long Cleve Reed, France Blues

Author Topic: Greil Marcus on his new book and Geeshie Wiley's "Last Kind Words Blues"  (Read 1386 times)

Offline jphauser

• Howdy!
Greil Marcus just did a talk last week about his latest book including talking at some length about Geeshie Wiley's "Last Kind Words Blues"

https://greilmarcus.net/2016/06/03/three-songs-three-singers-three-nations-talk-at-google-060316/

Offline hms

• Howdy!
Interesting, but, I didn't like the licence he used at the end where you think some more has been discovered about Geeshie, meeting Dylan and Hendrix, only to find in reading the notes, that 'everything in the last section of this chapter is made up, but some of the characters are real, albeit in mostly fictional rolls.'
h

Offline alyoung

"Fictional rolls"???   FFS, Mr Marcus. Roles.

Offline oddenda

says Al, the grammar nazi!

pbl

Offline alyoung

Meowww, Pete! 'Sides, that's not grammar, it's spelling or vocabulary (or lack thereof). Says Al the spelling nazi.

Offline hms

• Howdy!
Sorry 'bout that.
It was approaching lunchtime, my mind must have been elsewhere!
h

Offline alyoung

Oops. Didn't mean to ping a fellow-Weenie; the quote-marks made me think I was having a shot at a professional writer. Apols.

Offline hms

• Howdy!
Al, not a problem, yes it is a quote from a professional writer, but the error is mine!
I must get my tripewriter fixed!
h

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Hms, I agree. Your tripewriter needs a new intestine mighty badly!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Just found the below interview with Greil on the book. I'm about halfway through. It's definitely worth a listen and helps expand a bit on things touched on in the book.

http://radioopensource.org/america-three-songs/

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal