collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Can you play B.B. King?" "Yeah, if you put some strings on him, I'll play him" - Yank Rachell, Blues Mandolin Man

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79720 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
John Miller Website
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
Hi all,
I have a new website up now, www.johnmillerguitar.com.  Take a look, if you wish, and let me know what you think.  I'm trying to make an effort to move into the 20th century, now that we're in the 21st.  Thanks for your time.
all best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:45:29 AM by Johnm »

Online Slack

• Administrator
New John Miller Website
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:08:15 PM »
Johnm the website looks terrific - welcome to the 20th century!  :D

Gotta admit I'm a little embarrassed to see my name in your bio as there are so many folks who contribute to weeniecampbell, but I'm really glad weeniecampbell renewed your interest in country blues -- we have all benefited greatly from that stroke of luck, fate or serendipity!

Always your pal!
JohnD

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

New John Miller Website
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:17:07 AM »
Very nice.

What Slack said, thanks.
Gary

It's the 21st century? Oh man....somebody shoulda woke me!
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Bob B

• I'm a llama!
New John Miller Website
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »
Great job, John.  It's good to see your well thought out, tasteful site.

Duck Baker's quote really gets to the crux of the matter.  It is what all Weenies and John's long time fans have known for years--this is a musician of great versatility, knowledge and deserves to be heard by a larger audience.

Mighty fine

Bob B

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
New John Miller Website
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
Thanks very much for your good words, John D.  I meant what I said about Weenie Campbell over at my website and also your role in it.  You're right, there have been so many people who have contributed so much to the site, but I think your vision for the site has consistently been so inclusive and welcoming and far-sighted with regard to possibilities for movement into new areas for the site.  I wish I could claim to have been as far-sighted, but it hasn't always been the case.  Weenie Campbell has been a strong positive aspect in my life for a number of years now, and the feeling of being part of this community means a lot to me, as does the idea of having friends I have never met in person.  I guess that's a 21st century phenomenon!  Always a pal sounds pretty great to me, and back at you on that one!
Thanks also, Gary and Bob for the good words.  I'm trying to conduct my professional life in such a way as to maximize opportunities.  It feels better to be more active and to try to develop some positive momentum.  Thanks for your encouragement.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
New John Miller Website
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »
Nice looking website -- very simple, easy to navigate, and best of all, it didn't freeze my browser!
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
New John Miller Website
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »
I'm glad the site worked as intended for you, Slim.  Sometimes I think it takes a while to get the glitches out.
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
New John Miller Website
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »
Nice looking website, John - congratulations!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
New John Miller Website
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »
Hi all,
In the interest of building up the livelihood I make from playing and teaching music, I've expanded the "Teaching" section at my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com.  If you go there, you'll find a list of the Country Blues songs I've transcribed (not including the ones on the Stefan Grossman DVDs).  A procedure is outlined for doing lessons through the mail, with which you get TAB and a CD on which I talk through the playing of the piece in detail with right and left hand fingering tips, etc.  I also do transcriptions of songs that are not already on the list.  Cost of lessons and payment options are explained at the site.  Tunes that might be of interest to some Weenies are three Buddy Moss songs never transcribed before to my knowledge, "Unkind Woman", "Oh Lordy Mama" and "Insane Blues", and a raft of Bo Carter tunes.
I still intend to add to the list of "audio-only" lessons at the Weenie Site, but if you prefer working from TAB or have a special request or don't want to wait for a particular song to get posted here, the private mail order lesson may be an option that would work for you.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
New John Miller Website
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 03:44:28 AM »
Nice site John.

No doubt when I've finished working on the Texas Blues dvd I'll be signing up for postal lessons, there are some great tunes there that I've "almost" nailed but still "almost".

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
New John Miller Website
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »
Thanks for the good words, Phil.  I should add that I have to update the list of transcribed tunes fairly frequently to keep it up to date.  I've transcribed the following tunes recently but not had a chance to add them to the list yet:
   * "Crawlin' Black Snake"--Lightnin' Hopkins
   * "Going My Way"--Gabriel Brown (also available as a Weenie lesson)
   * "Trixie"--Curley Weaver
   * "Old Shoe Blues"--Bo Carter
   * "When We All Get Home/Ginny's Frolic", from "This Old Hammer"
I'm also transcribing my arrangements of Jazz Standards for anyone who might be interested.
all best,
Johnm

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
New John Miller Website
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
What a nice uncluttered site, one question what did you take at university you don't say?

And, the welsh name Byn Mawr (it means big hill) however did that get over the sea!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
New John Miller Website
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
Impressive list of tunes, John. Nice addition to your website.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
New John Miller Website
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 03:44:56 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the good words.  I ended up majoring in U. S. History, Richard.  As for Bryn Mawr, there's also Bala Cynwydd in the Philadephia area, so I reckon there must have been a good number of people from Wales among the early settlers there.  There's also a sort of foothill range of the Appalachians in Pennsylvania called the Welsh Mountains.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Welsh took their coal-mining experience with them to the New World.
all best,
Johnm

Offline jopoke

New John Miller Website
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
I have ordered a number of lessons fom John during the past six months.  It's been an excellent system for me.  John tabs out the tune and the walks through it, in great detail, on an audio track.  The Buddy Moss lessons are a lot of fun!

Thanks, Joe

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal