collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now look here man, what you want me to do? Give you my stew meat and credit you too? - Lucille Bogan, Stew Meat Blues

Author Topic: Cherry Ball Blues  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
Cherry Ball Blues
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:54:28 AM »
Howdy all...

This is one of my all time favorite Mance Tunes..."Cherry Ball Blues"...also known as "Shake Shake Mama."  It has a very hypnotic feel to it and some funny lyrics.  I can't quite understand all of Mance's lyrics in the original so this is my take on a couple of the verses.  Like "Going Down Slow" this is done in Drop D but in the Key of A.  To match my vocals a little better I have a capo on the 1st fret.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8642363

I've been working on a very technical version of the classic rag "The Entertainer" which has been driving me crazy...so I set that aside for awhile and decide to record something that is more about feeling than technique.  I think a little of my frustration comes through in my singing and the drive of this tune...  :P

I need to work up a better ending though...

Enjoy!

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Cherry Ball Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Catching up on some back porch posts....

I like this- its really atmoshpheric.  Id not thought of playing A in dropped D before either- I suppose its an obvious thing to try and there must be other examples- really nice way of getting some extra thump in the IV.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:52:21 AM »
Nice playing and singing I can feel your searching for the lipscomb aura. Gotta love the metaphors in that song. I recorded this myself a while back. can't remember on wich tape I got it. I play it faster but not in dropped D.
You play a Larrivee OM guitar too!?

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »
 :D :D

Thanks guys....Its a great tune and being able to play that low D bass really adds a great quality to this tune.

Harry,

Yep I played this on my Larrivee OM-05MT!

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Tags: Mance Lipscomb 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal