collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
For decades, practically every big circus on the road had a black band and minstrel company attached to its sideshow, performing on the streets and inside the sideshow tent before people of all races, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and from the southern reaches of Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. During the 1910s, these companies constituted a significant pathway for the dissemination of ragtime, blues, and jazz." - Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff, Ragged But Right: Black Traveling Shows, "Coon Songs", And The Dark Pathway To Blues And Jazz

Author Topic: Del Rey & Adam Franklin.....  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Adam Franklin

Del Rey & Adam Franklin.....
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:22:48 PM »
I thought you might like to see some videos of the great Del Rey picking the arse off her Uke. Sound isn't hi-fi, but, you know.

I'm backing her on guitar. Del suggested we did some duets, I specified 'no really hard tunes'...she didn't get that e-mail..........

It was great to get to play with Del, the video was taken at her show in Hastings, UK. There's also some video of our Worthing show on youtube somewhere.

Looking forward, Adam.

Offline Mike Brosnan

Re: Del Rey & Adam Franklin.....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
EXCELLENT work, man!!  I love it!  You and Del sound great together.  I'm trying to get more into early jazz stuff, so this is really hittin' home for me.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »
Hey Adam... it's great to see you here!!! Those were absolutely wonderful duets with Del Ray.!!

I'll be touring across the pond in November.. .hope to see you then.

Best,

Toby

Hey Toby, Thanks!

It's been too long, I must get along to a show this year. Give my regards to Carol.

Thanks again Toby, looking forward, Adam.

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:18:24 AM »
EXCELLENT work, man!!  I love it!  You and Del sound great together.  I'm trying to get more into early jazz stuff, so this is really hittin' home for me.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Hey Mike, You're welcome, thank you too! It really was fun playing with Del, she's just too bad on guitar & Uke, I've stole...I mean learnt so much...........

This is another nice old Jazz tune...

Do you know of the 'Two Man Gentlemen Band'? It's a Tenor Guitar & Double bass combo, man they can swing like anything. They give me loads of ideas, because there's no guitar I have to find my own voicings.

Thanks again Mike, nice to meet you!

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:21:41 AM »
nice to meet you too, adam.  the two man gentlemen band come through my part of the world every now and then, but i haven't seen them live yet.  i've heard good things.  i'll do some youtubing to see what i can steal. :) 

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:14:56 AM »
I was at the gig and it really was that good!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Jimmy J

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »
It would take some nerve to get up and share a stage with Del Rey! Well done!

I've never done it, but she did let me open for her at a private house concert here last spring. I sang a few tin pan alley songs, and played resouke, and kazoo, too. I first met Del at The Portland Uke Fest in '07. She, along with the late John King, introduced me to fingerstyle ukulele. (Every Christmas I work up John's arrangement of Carol Of The Bells, which I play with fingerpicks on resouke. So, you could say I combined their two styles, I suppose.) But it's been Del's quirky blues and ragtime sensibilities that's held my interest the most. Her resophonic sound captivated me from the very start! It beamed me up to The Galaxy Resophonia, where I've striven to remain ever since, if you will. Chasing that sound, and learning how to fingerstyle, lured me right into six-strings two years ago! Last month, I took a few steps out of the six-string woodshed. I'm now busking with uke and resophonic guitar. I'm happy to report that I've gone totally acoustic, and resophonic.

And it's all her fault...8)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:49:43 PM by Jimmy J »
I ukulele, daily.

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »
Hey Jimmy,

Yes, Del is the best! She totally put me on to Uke, got me a nice NRP Vintage Steel, I had to pay for it mind you.....I really hope Del's over to the UK next year so we can do more tunes.

A set of Guitar & Uke works great, especially in a mixed festival crowd.

And yes, it is all her fault.

Jimmy, you might like this    http://soundcloud.com/adamfranklin/cant-be-satisfied    Open C Banjo Uke (my dog has my)

All the best, Adam.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal