collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't drink anymore... but I don't drink any less, either - Lazy Lester, Backstage Vancouver BC

Author Topic: Humidity in the Pacific Northwest  (Read 2869 times)

Offline arlotone

• arlotone.com
Humidity in the Pacific Northwest
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm planning a move to Portland, OR this spring (have to sell my condo in Chicago first, we'll see how that goes). Here in the midwest, I run a large humidifier in my "music room" all winter to keep my instruments healthy. I shoot for 40-50% humidity, compared to the 10-20% I'd see without the humidifier.

My question is, will I need to do this in Portland, too? Obviously it's rainy in the winter, but I understand it's dry in the summer. I just don't know how dry.

Should I bring the humidifier, or add it to the moving sale along with my ice skates?

Thanks,
-Arlo

Offline mossy creek

Re: Humidity in the Pacific Northwest
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:01:40 AM »
Hi Arlo,      well, this is by no means the definitive answer (I'm relatively new at this). I leave near mt hood and I'd say summertime humidity control is'nt much of an issue. it's in the winter when you're heating your house that the interior humidity drops below 40%. hopefully some folks who've been looking at this for longer than I have will chime in.

cheers!   Bob

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »
I've never had a problem, all year round in Seattle.  Has to be quite similar to Portland.  However, it may depend on how much the winter home heating dries up the air.  Bring your humidifier and a gauge, sell it on ebay if you don't need it.

Dave

Offline arlotone

• arlotone.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »
Thanks, folks. I didn't see your replies when they were new, but I'm packing now and checked back and was happy for the advice. It's a big humidifier, but it's not heavy and UPS shipping is cheap enough if I decide to sell it later.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal