collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Dr. Dominicker, what is your text going to be next Sunday?" "Well brother fowls and sister fowlettes, my text next Sunday will be taken from the Bed of Feathers." "The Bed of Feathers?" "Titled 'If the Rooster Had a Toothache, Would the Hen Pull It?'" - Honeyboy and Sassafras, "The Chicken Sermon" on Cluck Old Hen - A Barnyard Serenade (Old Hat)

Author Topic: Blind Blake?s Cozy Blues in G  (Read 836 times)

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
Blind Blake?s Cozy Blues in G
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:48:19 AM »
Thought I?d share :) recorded in late 2006 with a simple mp3-player. No singing involved ;) abrupt ending.

[attachment deleted by admin]
You canīt trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
Re: Blind Blake?s Cozy Blues in G
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »
Thought I?d share :) recorded in late 2006 with a simple mp3-player. No singing involved ;) abrupt ending.

I have not heard this tune, I had thought I owned all his tunes but obviously I have missed one. The recording quality makes some of the notes hard to pick up. When trying to record Blake tunes you really have to control the bass notes so they don't ring too long, muting Blake style is extremely difficult mate because most of it is done with the left hand and not so much the palm. I have had the same difficulties many times, listening to the playback often sounds different to what it sounded like in the room when actually playing, I get the same sensation hearing a recording of myself talking and wonder, "who is that bloke ?".

I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
Practising it is fun. I?ve never given up on this style, Jim Bruce?s lessons have helped tremdously since last year.

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:55:13 AM »
Practising it is fun. I?ve never given up on this style, Jim Bruce?s lessons have helped tremdously since last year.
Please keep it up mate, put some more of your stuff up, I wish I knew how to use the technology I've got. May I suggest you buy the video by Ari Eisnger on how to play Blake's stuff. It helps as well to do some stuff that's a bit easier too, Blake is diabolically good, i reckon Blind Boy Fuller is a good way to get more comfortable with that style, there are echoes of Blake in his style, perhaps they met somewhere. There is a lesson DvD on Blake by Woody Mann and an excellent DvD of Ari Eisinger teaching Blind Boy Fuller too. Also another great player to get into learning is Bo Carter, John Miller has a brilliant lesson DvD on Carter's style. By the way I don't work for Grossman's Workshop, I just buy a lot of those vids, I have about 12 so far and want as many more as I can get too :)
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
Just re-listened to it again, after still doing regular practice, i believe I have made quite some progress since that^^ time, actually, when I hear that now, I?m more embarrassed than I was when uploading it. Learning to play the Blake-style is really a life-long exercise but one I wouldn?t want to miss :)
A most important discovery I have mode only recently (I find it hard to explain: Was I blind?) is to REST the little finger of the right hand on the guitar body ALL the time as a much needed counterweight - thumb rolls go much much better this way!

Current problems include
the Ice Man Blues main riff : keeping the boom-chick going during the g-e-d(bend)-d-c thing
and
the E7-ba-dap ba-dap ba-dap ba-dap thumb roll parts of West Coast Blues (no big surprise)
and
trying to get a half-way decent version of Back Biting Bee going in normal tuning and D
and
the high e-string thingy on g on Too Tight milliseconds AFTER a thumb roll :D
Jim Bruce does this with thumb and index finger but I?d rather want to do it with index and middle....

There is just a fitting discussion goin on on "how do you play fast solo string runs" right here...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:41:29 PM by Blind Arthur »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal