collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't wanna hear none of that blee blop - Chester Howling Wolf Burnett

Author Topic: Live Blues In Edinburgh: guitarist / musicians / singers sought!!  (Read 1761 times)

Offline tenderfoot84

hey guys: espec. the edinburgh contingent.

i've been doing two gigs per week in edinburgh for the past two months but my second guitarist heads to music school down in leeds this week, with his washboard playing brother in tow.

repertoire typically includes renditions (of varying degrees of originality of)

frank stokes: sweet to mama
william moore: midnight blues
charlie patton: down the dirt road
tommy johnson: morning prayer, big road
little hat jones: kentucky blues, rolled from side to side
muddy waters: country blues
bo weavil jackson: can't keep no brown
willie brown: future blues
bobby grant: nappy head
mooch richardson: t & t
garfield akers: jump and shout
willie newbern: roll and tumble
rube lacy: ham and gravy
geeshie wiley: skinny legs, motherless child (elvie thomas)
jack gowdlock: rollin dough
robert johnson: steady rollin man / stop breakin down

done mostly with a bit of energy / spirit, plus some more chilled out ones.

anyone who's around is welcome to check this out for free at e-mondo bar, lothian road, edinburgh scotland tuesdays 8-11pm or cafe artista marchmont road, edinburgh thursdays 6.30-830pm.

if anyone wants to join the 'band' - ie, me - call 0772 395 7483. or if you just want to learn some tunes.
Cheerybye,
David C

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Live Blues In Edinburgh: guitarist / musicians / singers sought!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »
Hi David
I'll definitely try to pop in sometime. Sounds good. I'm sure there are some of the guys (have you met Andy from Norrthern Ireland??) who'd be interested  in this. I'll see what I can do to put the word about.
Prof S

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 10:22:13 AM »
Hi David,
I'm obviously a poor candidate for a regular gig in Edinborough, living in Washington state as I do, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your repertoire.  As my Dad used to say, "That's a lot of meat and not many potatoes!".
All best,
Johnm

Offline CF

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 10:56:41 AM »
I'll second the kudos on that setlist! I would love to hear some of your renditions of some of those tunes . . . perhaps here on the Back Porch? Good luck . . .
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline tenderfoot84

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »
hi prof,

thanks if you got in touch with andy,

if not he made it all the same and i'll call him about next week. i remember his face from the royal oak last year. it'd be great if you could pop by to listen or play a few songs yourself or join in on any you fancy. i remember you doing cracking versions of ragged and dirty and stop breakin down in the royal oak!

i was also wondering if you and cheapfeet? could help me get on the back porch. i don't have access to any recording equipment except my mobile phone which i'm guessing is not the best way forward. you guys and other people have put up a lot of cracking songs. it's really inspiring to hear great songs get a fresh airing!

thanks as well john for the kind words re: the repertoire. i found and continue to find your weenie lessons to be probably the most effective teaching aid out there.

i'm spending my little free time working up energetic renditions of more tunes that i usually prefer to play at slower tempo because

1/ that's what i get paid for
2/ it hides a lot of the frailties in technique. but who cares really? as long as it's fun.

i plan to focus on these once i've got a good solid 3hrs that i can rely on.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:12:22 AM by tenderfoot84 »
Cheerybye,
David C

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »
Hi again David
I copied and pasted your Weenie post into a posting on the Scottish Blues Collective site here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScotBluesCo/message/4430
Hopefully that's going to attract some interest. Yes, absolutely no problem about helping with back porch postings - I'll send you a message off board with my phone number etc and we can arrange a time to record some of your tracks. But read the BP versus Performance Corner guidelines first, just to make sure we post in the right area - I know this has been an issue in the past.
Prof S

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal