collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I just don't find any sadness in the blues... I get a happy feeling when I hear a guitar tuning up. - Etta Baker, quoted in Woman With Guitar: Memphis Minnie's Blues by Paul and Beth Garon

Author Topic: Rising River Blues by George Carter  (Read 2507 times)

Offline eric

Rising River Blues by George Carter
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:55:39 AM »
Is that a beautiful tune or what?  I just received John's Atlanta Blues DVD, now I've gotta learn it.  I like the way John breaks tunes down into coherent phrases and then walks through them slowly and precisely.  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:21:34 AM by Johnm »
--
Eric

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Rising River Blues by Gearge Carter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
Really one of the most beautiful tunes.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »
...agreed, nice tune, almost a haunting quality about it.  Check out waxwing's youtube channel, he does a nice version on his old twelve string.. I've taken a few stabs at it, but can't seem to form it into anything satisfying .. Tom

Offline Rambler

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:55:27 AM »
Paul Geremia does a lovely rendition on 12 string.  It's on 'Love Murder and Mosquitos'

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Rising River Blues by George Carter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
Hi all,
One interesting feature of this tune as played by George Carter has to do with how he has his octave courses set up, something that is also discussed in this thread pertaining to Blind Willlie McTell's tuning on his various recordings:  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=2023.0 .
I taught the tune on a six-string because I did not have a 12-string available, but in listening to George Carter's version it became apparent that to get the sound as he played it, it's necessary to have the high G string on the treble side of the G pair.  That way, when the G pair is struck by the thumb on the response lick, you only hear the low G string, but when you strike the G pair on the A sixth phrase with your index finger, the octave G is emphasized.  I was able to vet this on the 9-string guitar that Todd Cambio converted that I have, and it works beautifully.  For those of you who have 12 or 9-string guitars, and who would like to experiment with this, give it a try, and I think you'll find the quality of sound you've been seeking.  Of course, the tune is beautiful pretty much any way you do it.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: George Carter 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal