Country Blues > Country Blues Licks and Lessons

Miller's Breakdown

<< < (505/506) > >>

Forgetful Jones:
After typing the previous message, I re-read your detailed answer to the puzzle and realized what you meant. I almost deleted my message. (probably should have)

Hope it didn't come across as argumentative. I very much appreciate the work you put into the puzzlers. And I like these songs a lot.

Cheers!

Johnm:
No problem, Forgetful Jones. I should be corrected when I'm wrong. I certainly didn't take it ill.

Johnm:
Hi all,
I have a couple of puzzlers for those of you who are interested. The first is "Trashy Gang Blues", and it features Mott willis on guitar, accompanying Willie Taylor. Here is the song:

The questions on "Trashy Gang Blues" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Mott Willis use to play the song?
   * Where did Mott Willis fret the bass notes he plays under the first line of each verse?

The second puzzler is Jack Owens' rendition of "Ain't No Lovin', Ain't No Gettin' Along". Here it is:

The questions on "Ain't No Lovin', Ain't No Gettin' Along" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Jack Owens use to play the song?
   * Where did Jack Owens fret the notes he hits in the bass under the first line of each verse?

Please use only your ears and guitar to arrive at your answers and please don't post any answers before 8:00 AM your time on Thursday, February 15. Thanks for your participation and I hope that you enjoy the songs.

All best,
Johnm

Johnm:
Hi all,
Any takers for the Mott Willis and Jack Owens puzzlers? Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

banjochris:
"Trashy Gang" is played in C position, tuned down. Sounds to me like he's sliding up to the 8th fret of the 6th string, 5th fret of 6th and 3rd fret of the 6th to get those bass notes (probably fretting with his left thumb would be my guess).

"Ain't No Lovin" sounds to me like it's in A position, I think tuned to drop D, however – I feel like I can hear the low D droning behind the IV chord when he plays it up the neck. I think Owens is playing the 5th and 4th frets of the lowered 6th string, going for a similar bass line to "Future Blues."

Both very cool tunes!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version