collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
And that low-down dirty Deacon done stole my gal and gone - Luke Jordan, Church Bell Blues

Author Topic: Q3HD Zoom Zoom?  (Read 795 times)

Offline Jimmy J

Q3HD Zoom Zoom?
« on: September 28, 2011, 03:17:07 PM »
Hey Woodshedders,

I am toying with the idea of buying one of them Zoom Q3HD audio/video field recorders.

I was wondering what anyone else's thoughts or experience might be, regarding this gadget, or any other gadget? Is there something better out there I don't know about?

One thing I notice is that I'd really need a friend, or a mirror, or both to ensure I'm framed correctly in the camera while I'm recording myself. Also, I'd want to keep an eye on the audio levels, to ensure I'm not over-modulating. I notice there is a video output, so it must be possible to have a small video monitor sitting close by so as to allow you to see what the camera is pointed at, but that would still leave the audio unmonitored. You know, my Sony Camcorder has a built in LED monitor that I can swing out and upside down. That allows me to see, albeit upside down, just what's in the frame. It's too bad this gizmo can't do that.

The big appeal, for me, with this new piece of gear, is the ability to record proper audio and video, simultaneously. I produced a few videos for YouTube using my SONY, or my iMac's built-in camera, and then had to juggle things around with re-recording audio, or stripping the audio and processing it in GarageBand to add reverb, or whatever. The big problems here was that it was time-consuming, and it was bloody nerve-wracking to try and manually sync the processed audio back up with the video, again, by ear. This contraption should avoid that hassle. And, I can apparently add a touch or reverb while recording, which is basically all I ever wanted to do with the audio, anyway. 

You know, I'm a firm believer in a 'live off the floor' approach to recording. I'm more concerned with performance, rather than post-production.  If I'm not performing, I'd rather spend my free time learning new music, instead of learning how to be a recording engineer.

So, would this piece of hardware make the cat moo and the cow meow? What sayst thou?
I ukulele, daily.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Q3HD Zoom Zoom?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:36:32 PM »
Thanks Jimmy, I'd not heard of that so I googled it. If you get one please post some stuff and do a review. I like the concept, unless someone out there has already pulled the trigger we just don't know how low the bar is with respect to hitting its limitations. We need an early adopter...

Maybe try to audition one in a store, or forge an agreement to return within n-days if it doesn't live up to expectations?

I hear you about not letting technology get in the way, neither in pre-, during- or post production. Having to switch between left brain and right in a hurry is definitely not conducive.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:42:45 PM by Rivers »

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
I bought one about a year ago.  I like a plug-and-play approach, and this pretty much does ok for me.  I hear what you're saying re the framing hassle, but it's something you adapt to, and probably inherent in most devices.  The Q3 also allows an external mic, which comes in handy.  Since I use the Windows movie program on my Dell laptop, I needed to find a converter for the WMV files, so that took a bit of research.  Takes decent video as long as your lighting is good, and the audio sounds good. 
Before I bought the Q3, I did some net surfing and found that many musicians and tech-folk like this unit.  Tom

Offline slideaway

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »
Hi,  i just purchased a discontinued model the Zoom Q3, no HD video, very cheaply, put up my first vid with it here, real happy with it, couldnt be simpler to use ec.

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=8004.msg64466;topicseen#msg64466

Offline slideaway

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
i should mention, image is a bit grainy under low/artificial light .. need good lighting, or daylight

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 05:40:08 AM »
I found this interesting, since IMO, to be able to fit the screen while playing, the camera has to be a little too far to be positioned ideally regarding the sound:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/10/24/zoom-q3hd-with-a-stick-on-wide-angle-lens/

Much depends on the room acoustics, of course. Often they aren't ideal, so moving closer helps.

Cheers

Pan

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal