collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm beginning to notice some improvement - Cellist Pablo Casals, when asked why, at the age of 93, he is still devoting 3 hrs a day for practicing

Author Topic: Heard but Not Seen  (Read 6192 times)

Offline CF

Re: Heard but Not Seen
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 05:42:28 PM »
That photo (i.e. of Funny Papa) is actually of Black Ace isn't it?
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 05:51:08 PM »
I don't want to make a whole new topic out of this, so I'll post it here in a picture thread.

Although it certainly is poor quality, I can tell I've never seen this picture of Leroy Carr before. Has anybody else?

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »
That photo (i.e. of Funny Papa) is actually of Black Ace isn't it?

I doubt it, he's definitely not playing that guitar lap-style, or with a slide.

But if it is, that's purty darn cool, I don't know of any photos of a young Black Ace.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:54:07 PM by mississippijohnhurt1928 »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:01:02 PM »
Here's Buddy Boy:

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 05:11:24 AM »
Thanks, Chris. I hadn't seen that one before.

Alex

Offline geechie

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 07:14:54 AM »
Lonewolf and MTJ3, here is the photo of Tommie Bradley and James Cole. downthedirtroad, I'd love to see that photo of Bo Weavil Jackson.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:18:20 AM by geechie »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 07:20:05 AM »
Anybody know where these new pictures were found?  Were they part of the Paramount promo material that turned up a few years ago?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »
Hi geechie, and welcome to Weenie Campbell! Thanks for the photo. Do you know what the source of this photo is, where it came from and the like?

cheers,
andrew

downthedirtroad

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 07:38:01 AM »
Here's the picture of Bo Weavil Jackson from the booklet that I promised in return, if this is of help to anyone:

downthedirtroad

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
And jaybird.
Question - are these pictures part of John Tefteller's stash that is being used for the blues images calendars?

Offline geechie

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 09:51:09 AM »
Thanks for the welcome andrew. As for the photo, I saved it to my computer a couple of years ago. I vaguely remember finding it on the Old Hat Records website. They had scanned
a booklet from one of their releases, and put it up on the site. But I can't remember what Album it's from.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 09:59:10 AM »
Although it certainly is poor quality, I can tell I've never seen this picture of Leroy Carr before. Has anybody else?
Yep it appeared in a Chicago Defender Columbia advertisment for the release of Aggravating Papa and those who own Story Of The Blues (1969 edition) can view it in its original context on page 94.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »
Thanks for the welcome andrew. As for the photo, I saved it to my computer a couple of years ago. I vaguely remember finding it on the Old Hat Records website. They had scanned
a booklet from one of their releases, and put it up on the site. But I can't remember what Album it's from.

Found the photo (easy enough since Old Hat have so few releases - here's hoping for more!). It's in the booklet for Violin, Sing the Blues for Me. Alas, it is not Tommie Bradley and James Cole. The two are identified as Billy Smith (banjo) and Billy Russell (fiddle), circa 1912. Caption says Smith "was a former slave, with whips scars on his back to prove it." From the collection of Jim Bollman.

For dj, while they don't include Simmie Dooley, there are two photos of a young Pink Anderson in the booklet for Old Hat's set Good for What Ails You, both taken while Pink was touring with WR Kerr's medicine show. One of the photos is of Pink in blackface.

Offline CF

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
Penguin Guide to Blues Recordings' entry on J. T. 'Funny Papa' Smith mentions the photo on the Yazoo album is in fact of Black Ace. I've read this elsewhere as well.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline geechie

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »
Found the photo (easy enough since Old Hat have so few releases - here's hoping for more!). It's in the booklet for Violin, Sing the Blues for Me. Alas, it is not Tommie Bradley and James Cole. The two are identified as Billy Smith (banjo) and Billy Russell (fiddle), circa 1912. Caption says Smith "was a former slave, with whips scars on his back to prove it." From the collection of Jim Bollman.

Thanks for the correction andrew.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal