collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
By 1935, he [Charles Seeger] was writing for a small Marxist journal called Music Vanguard that "fine art" music was the property of the dominant classes, for which it was made. Pop music was a bastardization of the "fine art" tradition; it was "crumbs from the table of the rich and powerful . . . combined with various story elements". But folk music was the music of the proletariat and, therefore, inherently progressive - from Woody Guthrie - A Life, by Joe Klein

Author Topic: Leadbelly  (Read 17980 times)

Offline fictioneer

Re: Leadbelly
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2007, 12:28:28 AM »
The 1944 "Where Did You" is from a Musicraft session, one of Leadbelly's best commercial dates.  Other sides from it were "John Hardy," "Roberta," "I've a Pretty Flower," "When the Boys were on the Western Plains [When I Was a Cowboy]," "Bill Brady" [Duncan and Brady], "Yellow Gal," and the ambiguously titled "In New Orleans," which is Leadbelly's recomposition of "Rising Sun," featuring an inspired guitar line.  All of these have long been available on budget media -- heck, I first bought this set as an LP on the Sutton label in 1964, from a 77-cent budget bin at G C Murphy's -- and they're still available on CD.  The perfs are usually superior to his other renditions of the same songs; as far as I know, this is the only time he ever recorded "In New Orleans" (he did a straight version of "Rising" once or twice, which is of no particular distinction) and it's worth picking up a budget CD just for that one, if you're not familiar with it.

Julius Lester tabbed several songs from the Musicraft set in "Folksinger's Guide to the 12-String Guitar as Played by Leadbelly." 

Offline Bricktown Bob

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2007, 04:52:38 AM »
as far as I know, this is the only time he ever recorded "In New Orleans" (he did a straight version of "Rising" once or twice, which is of no particular distinction) and it's worth picking up a budget CD just for that one, if you're not familiar with it.

It's the happiest version of "Rising Sun" I've ever heard, that's for sure.  Maybe I should say "sprightliest," but that word just looks weird.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »
The 1944 "Where Did You" is from a Musicraft session, one of Leadbelly's best commercial dates.  Other sides from it were "John Hardy," "Roberta," "I've a Pretty Flower," "When the Boys were on the Western Plains [When I Was a Cowboy]," "Bill Brady" [Duncan and Brady], "Yellow Gal," and the ambiguously titled "In New Orleans," which is Leadbelly's recomposition of "Rising Sun," featuring an inspired guitar line.  All of these have long been available on budget media -- heck, I first bought this set as an LP on the Sutton label in 1964, from a 77-cent budget bin at G C Murphy's -- and they're still available on CD.  The perfs are usually superior to his other renditions of the same songs; as far as I know, this is the only time he ever recorded "In New Orleans" (he did a straight version of "Rising" once or twice, which is of no particular distinction) and it's worth picking up a budget CD just for that one, if you're not familiar with it.
What do ya know, in 1965 it turned up in the UK on the budget label Presto (PRE689) under the title "The Great Leadbelly Accompanying Himself On The Guitar". The cover depicts an anonymous black face behind what are supposed to be prison bars. The price sticker on mine reads "FW Woolworth Putney Branch 12s 6d".

Those were the days of discovery. Long sigh...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2007, 10:46:37 PM »
Lest we forget...I couldn't let this gem slip through the cracks:

http://www.otrcat.com/chamber-music-society-basin-p-2094.html

My apologies to the PWBG members (and to anyone else who may require one). (Thank / blame it on Elijah.)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2007, 12:48:08 PM »
Thanks fpr all the suggestions, folks. I'm finally off to Down Home (El Cerrito, not Berkeley) to see if I can find the Last Sessions and any other versions of Shorty George and Fannin Street. I've also got that list of songs in F Johnm.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2007, 09:44:54 PM »
I have been listening to Document's Library of Congress vol 2, 3, 4 DOCD-5592, 5593, 5594 recently. These can be tough going soundwise. Real primitive recordings that include moving the mic back and forth between Leadbelly's guitar and mouth. The material is really phenomenal though. The version of Shorty George on 5593 that you refer to, Wax, is fairly hard listening and almost seems to me to be sped up slightly. His voice sounds higher to me. Anyway, the ARC recording is somewhat different. The guitar on this LoC recording is, to say the least, intense. Those bass runs are really fast. The ARC recording is somewhat more relaxed, though still a bass string workout. I'd also say that these discs are fairly blues heavy (though still lots of folk material), which is nice too. Light on the "Skip to My Lou" type of material.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 09:49:00 PM by andrew »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2007, 09:06:15 PM »
Yeah, I think that may be the hottest perf of Shorty George, despite the tough recording and missing half the intro. I heard a sample from take two of the same session on the Rounder site (Vol. 5 of the LoC - also on DOCD-5226, BTW) and even it seems a little less intense back. In the one we're talking about the 12 is pitched at C, I think, but in the other take, on Rounder, it seems to be pithed at B, so you could be right about the speed on the DOCD-5593. But the difference seems to be in the IV chord (F form). In the one he seems to be still playing runs, altho' more mid-rangy, and in the other its more a boom-chick with alternating bass. Would like to hear all 5 mins. of that other take, tho'. Maybe I can pick it up on emusic. 'Bout time I subscribed.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2007, 09:20:21 AM »
In the one we're talking about the 12 is pitched at C, I think, but in the other take, on Rounder, it seems to be pithed at B, so you could be right about the speed on the DOCD-5593.

The recordings used by Document were obtained from tapes, at least according to the Penguin Blues Guide, so it is certainly possible there were speed glitches. (Rounder used the same tapes if I recall correctly, which had deteriorated even more by that time.) The speed issue is slight for me but I still wonder if it's there. A semi-tone difference between takes could point to it indeed.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:56 AM »

Julius Lester tabbed several songs from the Musicraft set in "Folksinger's Guide to the 12-String Guitar as Played by Leadbelly." 

Rivers' Lead Belly lyrics run has had me spinning Lead Belly on the home jukebox, and I just wanted to enthusiastically second Fictioneer's recommendation for these Musicraft sides. Truly fabulous. I think this is the probably the best Duncan and Brady that Lead Belly does, and you can say that about pretty much all the songs listed above. I have this session on Leadbelly Vol 3 1939-47 DOCD-5228.

Offline jostber

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
These are some of my favourites with Lead Belly:

Here is an all new release on vinyl:

A new box set coming up:

http://www.elderly.com/recordings/items/PROPER-CDBX148.htm

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2009, 08:16:28 AM »
I really like leadbelly`s 1935 recordings-what i`ve done is take "king of the 12 string..","1935" on travelling man and the old biograph lp(one side 1935 recordings the other a 1940 rec.with woody guthrie) and burn all the different takes from 1935 onto two discs-it`s brilliant."mr.Tom Hughes`town"(fannin`street)is amazing.
    I also like the old capitol lp recorded with paul mason howard on" zither"-it gives the songs a unique,remarkable and very pleasing texture.
       take care lyndvs.

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »
is that the ten-inch Capitol lp? (he asks across the years)

a friend's dad had that and the last sessions set. I loved listening to them when i was a wee lad - thirty odd years ago i guess. Dances With tears in his eyes was a stand out then and now.

I'm posting though, to ask if there is any way of figuring out what tracks are on the 'Definitive' 3 disc set from Catfish records.
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Leadbelly/dp/B00006373O

it has a great selection but no info on the individual songs.
thanks

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
Hiya Gumbo,
                No my copy is a 12 inch L.P..1962 It was issued.Not sure if there were other issues maybe on 10inch at some point?.
I`m also not sure if it`s been reissued on C.D..I`d love to replace my old vinyl(retire it anyway!).
                I don`t have the definitive 3cd set but i believe there`s nothing new on it.I saw a thread about it on the Blindman`s Blues Forum
a while ago.I think the general  opinion was that it was far from essential.I tried to find the thread earlier today but couldn`t.I`m sure it`s still there somewhere if you check it out.
Lyndvs.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »
Here the tracklist and some notes for the Catfish set, grabbed off eBay.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Grasshoppers in My Pillow
2. Tight Like That
3. C.C. Rider
4. Well You Know I Had to Do It
5. Alberta
6. Sweet Mary Blues
7. New Orleans
8. New York City
9. Baby, Don't You Love Me No More?
10. Thirty Days in the Work House
11. You Cain' Loose-A-Me Cholly
12. Midnight Special
13. I'm Leavin' on the Midnight Train
14. Fannin' Street
15. Goodnight Irene
16. Pick a Bale of Cotton
17. Black Girl
18. Turn Yo' Radio On
19. Children's Blues
20. John Henry
21. Corn Bread Rough
22. Can't You Line 'Em
23. Ella Speed
24. Tell Me Baby
25. Go Down, Old Hannah

DISC 2:
1. Somebody's Diggin' My Potatoes
2. Dancing With Tears in My Heart
3. Salty Dog
4. Whoa Back Up
5. Sukey Jump
6. How Long
7. Eagle Rock Rag
8. Laura
9. Big Fat Woman
10. My Friend Blind Lemon
11. Easy Mr Tom
12. New Black Snake
13. Matchbox Blues
14. Death Letter Blues, Pt. 1
15. Death Letter Blues, Pt. 2
16. Bourgeois Blues
17. We're in the Same Boat, Brother
18. Jean Harlow
19. Howard Hughes
20. Cow Cow Yicky Yicky Yea
21. When I Was a Cowboy
22. T B Blues
23. Alabama Bound
24. Shout On (Honey I'm All Out and Down)
25. He Never Said a Mumbling Word

DISC 3:
1. It Was Early One Morning
2. Good Morning Blues
3. Tom Hughes Town
4. Bull Cow
5. Looky Look Yonder
6. Blood Done Sign My Name, The
7. Tell Me Baby, What Was Wrong With You
8. Birmingham Jail (Down in the Valley)
9. Red Cross Store Blues
10. Sail on, Little Girl, Sail On
11. Roberta
12. Jim Crow Blues
13. Gray Goose
14. I'm on My Last Go-Round
15. Stewball
16. Spring Time in the Rockies
17. Ain't Going Down to the Well No More
18. Take This Hammer
19. Rock Island Line
20. Midnight Special
21. Sylvie
22. I'll Be Down on the Last Bread Wagon
23. Chinatown
24. I'm Alone Because I Love You
25. Leaving Blues

Details
Distributor:   Navarre
Recording Type:   Studio
Recording Mode:   Stereo
SPAR Code:   n/a

Album Notes
Liner Note Author: Keith Briggs.
"Definitive" is a mighty claim when it comes to an artist of Leadbelly's stature, but the three-disc DEFINITIVE LEADBELLY box lives up to its title. Over the course of its 75 tracks, this collection hits all the sweet spots in the seminal folk/blues trailblazer's sprawling catalog, from staples like "C.C. Rider," "Goodnight Irene," and "Good Morning Blues," to lesser-known tunes, all mastered with excellent sound quality for recordings that date back to the pre-war era.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
Hiya Gumbo,
                No my copy is a 12 inch L.P..1962 It was issued.Not sure if there were other issues maybe on 10inch at some point?.
You are correct in that assumption, the catalogue number of the 10inch was 369, my copy of the 12inch LP is 1821. I've also got a couple of EPs drawn from that session. But I digress.....as usual.

Tags: Leadbelly 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal