collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Meh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh." "Man, take that goat outta here" - Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers, "Billy Goat Stomp"

Author Topic: Shirley Griffith  (Read 5800 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Shirley Griffith
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 12:37:27 PM »
Yikes! Anyone know what Mr. Griffith's reaction to this was?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
I'll bet he laughed and laughed and laughed.  If that transcript is the real deal, he really ran rings around Nick Perls.  the stuff about 'Uncle Tom' reminded me a bit of the LOC interview of Willie Mctell and Lomax.

Mike

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
Yikes! Anyone know what Mr. Griffith's reaction to this was?
I seem to recall the two UK blues magazines of the time had a few choice words on the subject of the notes in their reviews.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
Hi all,
The transcription was a creation of Stephen Calt--Shirley never said any of that stuff.  It is a fiction piece.  Unfortunately, it apparently maintains the capacity to draw attention away from Shirley himself and what he did musically.
All best,
Johnm

• myspace site
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 01:37:30 PM »
This gets worse and worse, if that was a piece of fiction, it is certainly awful, unless Shirley was in on it.  I mean, the album is supposed to represent Shirley as an ARTIST, not a curiosity, or a chance for Perls to express himself.  If Perls wanted to get drivel like that out, he should have recorded an album himself and put the liner notes on that. 

Just unbelievable.  No respect at all.

Mike

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
Just in the interest of accuracy, Nick Perls played no part in the writing of the piece, I'm sure, though the choice to include the notes on the album was his.  It's no defense of the choice, but I can't imagine that Stephen or Nick thought that anyone would take the notes at face value.  Perhaps it's an indication of how far inside your own world you can be at times.
All best,
Johnm

Offline jopoke

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
Today, I received this lame response when I inquired about prestige/bluesville albums that were never reissued: (It's a shame, because Shirley had one of the best albums in the series)

Take it easy, Joe

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Prestige-bluesville reissues

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Nichole M) - 04/21/2011 09:45 AM Thank you for contacting Concord Music Group!

We currently have no information on when that item may be re released at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Concord Music Group
Sales Support
www.concordmusicgroup.com

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
Thanks for taking that action, Joe, and keeping an eye on the prize.  Who knows?  Maybe Concord or Shanachie might be open to licensing agreements on the albums.  I can't believe they intend to re-issue them, and as things currently stand they generate no income at all.
All best,
Johnm

Offline LD50

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 02:12:01 PM »
Just in the interest of accuracy, Nick Perls played no part in the writing of the piece, I'm sure, though the choice to include the notes on the album was his.  It's no defense of the choice, but I can't imagine that Stephen or Nick thought that anyone would take the notes at face value.  Perhaps it's an indication of how far inside your own world you can be at times.
All best,
Johnm

The liner notes positively SCREAM Steve Calt. And Perls must have included them because he thought they were funny, and so yes, the responsibility for them appearing on the album is Perls'. It's mostly just amazing that Perls thought it was appropriate.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »
This is not meant in anyway as a defense of these liner notes, but it is important to remember that there was a , tradition is too strong a word, but at least a period in which absurd liner notes were a cool thing to have or do. Dylan's rambling ravings on his own and on Eric Von Schmidt's records may have started it but it was something that was around at the time. Absurdity in daily life among the young of the time was cultivated. This is a good case in point of keeping a weather eye out for how things will age into the future.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline oddenda

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »
Steve Calt at his typically worst. He and Nick Tosches would have made a lovely couple... of prats! They define the word "smarmy".

pbl

• myspace site
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 07:18:23 AM »
Perhaps it's an indication of how far inside your own world you can be at times.
All best,
Johnm

Well put John, would love to see the album re-released though, perhaps with different liner notes though.

Mike

Offline jopoke

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »
Folks, just spin the album and you will forget all about the liner notes....

Take it easy, Joe

Offline LD50

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
Folks, just spin the album and you will forget all about the liner notes....

That's the whole problem: none of his albums are in print, so we can't spin them.

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 09:54:54 AM »
... so we can't spin them.

Just try my Blue Goose discography ...
... and you'll find at the top right there's even a label spinning (bright grin ;-)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:56:08 AM by Stefan Wirz »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal