collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"I'm goin' down the road feelin' bad, I'm goin' down the road feelin' bad, I'm goin' down the road feelin' bad, oh lordy, My internet done up and went away." - Randy Marsh, South Park Season 12 Episode 6 "Over Logging"

Author Topic: Guitar Gabriel  (Read 2198 times)

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Guitar Gabriel
« on: July 14, 2006, 11:04:10 AM »
I stumbled upon Guitar Gabriel while reseaching something else and was able to hear his version of "Key to the Highway" in it's entirety and I kinda like his sound.
Does anyone know anything about this performer?
Thanks in advance,
Gary
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Guitar Gabriel
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:14:14 PM »
Hmm, I'm guessing it's not the one who recorded in the 50s for Jay Miller but he whose recording career began in 1970 under the name of Nyles Jones (actually Robert Lewis Jones, born Florence, Carolina). That year he won great acclaim with a 45 on Gemini entitled The Welfare Blues. He also had an LP, My South - My Blues (Gemini 7101), which was recorded in Pittsburg. A really enthusiastic review by Mike Leadbitter in Blues Unlimited ensured the LP sold better in the UK than it might otherwise have done. ;D

A decade and a half later he reappeared as Guitar Gable recording for Tim Duffy's Music Maker label. I guess the recording of KTTH must be from that latter period.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 12:16:12 PM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:24:22 PM »
Duh, the one who recorded for Miller was Guitar Gable (Thomas Jerome Westley Gable).  Sorry about that, been a long, hard working week.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 12:40:35 PM »
I'm assuming this is the same Guitar Gabriel immortalized in the Weenie quote generator with "I have played so much guitar, it would make your ass hurt" and "Life wasn't hard with Gabe, you just had to drink a lot" (from a former girlfriend)?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal