collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We were all committed in one way or another. How many demonstrations did we do to get Pete Seeger on TV? It was all part of the view that America should change. We didn’t sing On Top of Old Smokey because it was a great song, we sang it because we wanted change - Sam Charters, http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/more-than-just-folk-a-fond-look-back-at-early-60s-new-york-from-those-who-were-there/2013/12/19/db5eae50-6356-11e3-a373-0f9f2d1c2b61_story.html

Author Topic: The Girl I Love...  (Read 26881 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
The Girl I Love...
« on: February 12, 2008, 03:53:08 AM »
...has a cheap digital video recorder:

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: The Girl I Love...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:04:40 AM »
Terrific!  Very Cool!  (I just love youtube)

I can think of only one suggestion for improvement -- show more of Kim's attractive face and less of your unshaven mug.  :P Looks cold there with everyone in flannel!

So what cheap video recorder was that?  I've fooled around with a Flip recorder, about $150, fits in your shirt pocket and it did a very decent job for web quality videos.

I hope you post more of these.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:49:15 AM »
Great!!!!!!!! Very very cool Frankie I really enjoyed it a lot, I've watched it 4 times this morning. What kind of video camera did you use??

RJ

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »
Nice!  Makes me want to get up and dance. 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
Hugely fun stuff, Frank. I went to YouTube and watched all four videos. They're great. Seeing a bunch of people playing Too Long made my day. Jazz Fiddler too.

edited by the dept of "what was I thinking"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:47:43 PM by andrew »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »
Big fun! ... here is a link to all of frankie's youtube videos.

http://youtube.com/user/frankie12string

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
So Frank, I'm curious about the way you play the accompaniment on the Sheiks stuff on the other videos. I couldn't quite see beyond the mando neck to your right hand on those tunes, but it looks like you are playing them with a thumbpick. This is how I've fooled around with that style as well (not nearly as authoritatively thumpy as you) but I've always been meaning to try it with a flatpick. This makes me think otherwise. Are there parts in the original guitar accompaniments on the Sheiks' records that would indicate this was played one way or another? E.g. strings plucked together etc.

I look forward to more videos.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:47:58 PM by andrew »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Its funny to see yourself, that's for sure.  Slack, I wish there *was* less of my unshaven mug...  yeesh!  While the winter has been temperate overall, last weekend was pretty cold by NJ standards...  hence the hat & flannel...  and with hair like mine, once the hat goes on, well...  the hat stays on.

We used an RCA Small Wonder - I actually got it for free when I got a high-speed connection (stop snickering, andrew!), so it's extra-cheep.  It seems to take acceptable videos.  For some reason, "Too Long" seems to have trouble playing.  Dunno if it's something I did...  maybe I should re-encode it & re-post.  It's a favorite tune of ours, so it's a bummer it doesn't seem to play smoothly.

Re: backup - I used a thumbpick on everything.  It's easier for me that way.  I find that in general, a thumbpick gives me a heavier sound than a flatpick, and I like that better for playing this kind of stuff.  I'm not sure what Walter might have done - I feel like I get closer to his sound with a thumbpick than a flatpick, but that undoubtedly says more about me than him.

These tunes make my day, too... and dj, even make me want to dance, so I'm with you there, if that doesn't sound too narcissistic.  I guess this is our way of playing socially when it's too cold to be on the street.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »
Frankie do you guys play gigs?? Or maybe house parties/concerts??

RJ

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »
Nope - no gigs.  Too much work.  We play on the street when it's nice out & we can arrange it.  Unfortunately, the guy who's playing mandolin with us is moving further north in the spring, so it'll probably get even harder to arrange just the busking stuff.  Kim and I can probably do it just the two of us, but we both really like having the mandolin in the mix.  It'll be tough when he goes...

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 09:14:29 PM »
Great stuff Frank, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 01:27:59 AM »
Yep - really enjoying it over here in the UK as well. I tipped off some friends who play fiddle, guitar and mandolin who don't normally hang around the Weenie.

You get a great feel - and that's really important.

By the way, at the risk of being decidedly un-P.C. (like I care) - I also would have liked to have seen more of the young lady and less of you blokes.  Also it would have been useful to watch your fretting hand.

Nice one Frankie.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 06:55:06 AM »
Also it would have been useful to watch your fretting hand.

PP, just lean your head to the left a little.  :P

I found myself wanting to see your fretting hand as well.  Sorry to hear you are losing the mando player frank,you've really got a good thing going!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:56:37 AM by Slack »

Offline samjessin

• Bluegrass and Old-Time Time
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »
This is the aformentioned mandolin player.  I won't be too far away.  The state of NJ is only so big!  At least I won't block your fretting or strumming hand with my ugly mug!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
 8)

Welcome Sam, as you can see, we've really enjoyed these videos!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal