collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This guy wanted to marry me. He said "It's me or the horn." I said, "Well, it ain't you, babe" - Martye Awkerman, trumpet, quoted in Swing Shift, "All-Girl" Bands of the 1940s by Sherrie Tucker

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 253700 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #1710 on: November 11, 2021, 12:06:54 PM »
I did a search and it looks like this particular Joseph Spence vid hasn't been posted on Weenie.

Even if it has, it'll make your day:

Lindy

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #1711 on: November 11, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »
Thanks, Lindy. It now looks like S-F has all the tracks from "Encore" available on its YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kXQbLe83MyLeR07X_E3ZQ1MF7TS9mTUBs

Edited to add: I've been having some trouble when I check to see if the page with the entire album/playlist will open. Sometimes it works and sometimes it only goes to the first song followed by random YT videos, Here's the url, broken by some spaces before and after "com"  so it will not embed. If necessary it can be pieced back together and plugged in.

https://www.youtube.  com 

/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kXQbLe83MyLeR07X_E3ZQ1MF7TS9mTUBs

You can also enter "Joseph Spence encore unheard recordings of Bahamian guitar and singing" in the YT search box and it should lead you there.

Here's a link to your original message re: S-F's release of "Encore":

https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2101.msg111295#msg111295

My post with links to the Fretboard Journal podcast and column is two posts below yours.

We should probably reorganize these posts/links into a separate topic if only to make them easier to locate in one place. I'll leave it to the more qualified members to make the final decision.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 03:40:14 PM by Stuart »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #1712 on: November 11, 2021, 04:48:08 PM »
Thanks for posting Lindy... really wonderful.  That would be a good intro to Spences work... it would have some folks scratching their heads about other Spence tunes!

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1713 on: November 12, 2021, 05:38:36 AM »
The folk guitarist's Thelonious Monk.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #1714 on: November 12, 2021, 02:31:28 PM »
Bukka White & Skip James ‎– Live Cafe Au Go Go 1965

Cheers,

Pan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #1715 on: November 14, 2021, 06:14:06 PM »
We should probably reorganize these posts/links into a separate topic if only to make them easier to locate in one place. I'll leave it to the more qualified members to make the final decision.

Maybe you could add a new post or two to the Joseph Spence thread on the main forum? https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=944.msg7107#msg7107

That way it would get picked up in the tag index, since it's already tagged.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #1716 on: November 15, 2021, 10:40:57 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion, Rivers. As you can see, I followed your advice and posted some of the info from the related posts in this topic to the "Joseph Spence" thread.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #1717 on: November 16, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »
Awesome, thanks Stuart.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #1718 on: November 23, 2021, 05:11:01 PM »
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss's new album, Raise the Roof, contains one tune that is country blues. Last Kind Words. Personally, I love just about everything they do together. A lot of credit I believe goes to producer T Bone Burnett.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #1720 on: November 23, 2021, 06:35:59 PM »
I heard that also. I was secretly going to download the album but since there are at least three of us who think they're really good together with T Bone Burnett producing, I guess I can come out of the closet. The first album Raising Sand is also very good.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #1721 on: November 23, 2021, 06:41:50 PM »
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss's new album, Raise the Roof, contains one tune that is country blues. Last Kind Words. Personally, I love just about everything they do together. A lot of credit I believe goes to producer T Bone Burnett.

Very cool.  I need to listen to the whole album with my good setup.

I noticed Alison changed one line a tiny bit, from Weenie transcripted version:

Lord, *sister*, daughter, don't you be so wild   
to:
Lord, precious daughter, don't you be so wild

Weenie approved!  ;)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1722 on: November 25, 2021, 12:51:22 PM »
Hi all,
Here is Bill Monroe with the Bluegrass Boys doing "Sally Jo", from "Knee Deep In Bluegrass". On most of the record he had twin fiddles and on a couple of tunes, triple fiddles. Doug Kershaw played rhythm guitar on this track. I don't know if Bill Monroe ever did it in performance, it was sort of an odd man out in his repertoire. I saw him many times and he never came near it. In a way, I suppose there's not that much to it, but man, what a singer! I love this.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Lignite

« Reply #1723 on: November 25, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »
I think this is Bill Monroe's attempt at rock n' roll which would have been sweeping the airwaves at this time. From what I've read, he heard Doug Kershaw backstage at the Opry and asked him especially to play on this one cut with him. I've heard that he advised the Stanley Brothers to record a bluegrass version of Blue Moon Of Kentucky in a style like Elvis had way back in 1954. I think he was always interested in the rock n roll phenomenon and this was his own conservative attempt at trying his hand at it. I always thought this was a great performance and wish that he had experimented a little more in this style.

Offline Lignite

« Reply #1724 on: November 25, 2021, 05:46:40 PM »
Here is that Stanley Bothers recording I referred to previously. I think it is a failed attempt as well as other later similar later recordings they made such as Finger Poppin' Time. At least they weren't so rigid as to not attempt something out of their established musical style.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal