collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well I had started that about the age of twelve... see my mother had a guitar, my father made her a present of a guitar, and he taught her a few chords, but I first started on a little outfit I made with a cigar box... I made a guitar with a cigar box, had peg keys, bored holes in the head, and I had uh... the strings graduated from fishing twine down on to thread - Johnny St. Cyr, guitarist for the Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers in an interview with Alan Lomax on how he learned to play guitar

Author Topic: Kalamazoo KG-14  (Read 9279 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Kalamazoo KG-14
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
Ladder braced is the holy grail for a lot of folks on this forum Mr. Vintage.  ;)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline fox-guitars

• Fox Guitars
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:05:24 PM »
Another new guy here. Keep in mind that all the Gibson-made Kalamazoo flat-tops have ladder-braced tops vs. their X-braced Gibson cousins. Some have a preference for one or the other, but for sure they do not sound the same.

I've seen many KGs going for $1800 & up, and it really surprises me how much they are. I agree that they should be less than half the value of a Gibson.

I restored a ladder-braced 1940 Kal KGN-12 "Oriole" and re-braced the top with Gibson X-brace & I thought it improved the tone quite a bit. More info at: http://www.fox-guitars.com/Repair___Restoration.html

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:06:46 PM by fox-guitars »
Please visit www.fox-guitars.com Cool guitar history. New vintage guitars, repair & restoration, and much more.

Offline slimchancer

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
A nice idea, and we would all love one, but the reality is - they are all pretty instable now and prone to failure over the coming years ? unless you are looking for a charming vintage piece to sit at the back of the dinning room. I?ve been searching for a decent Kalamazoo for years, but am beginning to face the facts of time.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 01:39:02 PM »
Art & Lutherie spruce & Cherry Ami for $260.
Blueridge solid spruce & rosewood guitars for $650.
Really people....THIS IS the golden age of cheap guitars, many likely better than Kalamazoos ever were.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 02:57:19 AM »
Guild GAD-30R in sitka/EIR for ?550 in my local guitar shop. Impeccable workmanship, easy-to-play and a wonderful sound.

However, I have heard they are not all consistent - but the same is true of some high-end names as well. After all, each acoustic guitar is highly individual.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline slideaway

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »
at least the boring era of the dreadnought dominance is over, not that i dont like a nice dread, YAY for variety! at least just being short scales is half the authentic sound IMO

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
MHO, one will not get true depression era sound out of At and Who or any other present day cheap guitar. Period.

Wow! Would I ever love to do a blind listening test and have you try to pick the vintage instrument! No time for such silliness however. :P

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »
When I can afford one. :P
I've never paid more than $325. for a guitar and if I wasn't lucky enough to own the ones I do, I would consider it completely insane to spend thousands on one now when so many good cheap alternatives exist.
On tuesday I played a$25,000. custom Ray Whitley Brazilian rosewood J-200. Drop dead gorgeous.
I also played a $650. Blueridge Indian rosewood guitar.....really apart from those characteristics attributable to body size & shape , about equivalent in terms of sound quality. I also played a $20,000. Froggy Bottom that was one of the best things I've ever played including any great vintage guitar you can name, but was it $18,000 better than the Blueridge? No way.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:46:19 PM by Mr.OMuck »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal