collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
There's some fellows - I shouldn't say nothing because I made some of those jive records, too - but they should have at least two meanings to what their song is. There is going to be little children hearing those songs, you know - Tampa Red, quoted in the liner notes to Don't Jive Me

Author Topic: John Cohen R.I.P.  (Read 852 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline Suzy T

• Howdy!
Re: John Cohen R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 04:45:13 PM »
John Cohen. I met him when I was 16 when the NLCR did a nooner at the summer program I was attending. He had just come back from Berkeley, recording people who would become huge huge huge in my life - my husband Eric, dear friend and bandmate Sue Draheim, Will Spires and others. He was so enamored of Berkeley and that brief encounter shaped my life's trajectory. Around 40 years later I co-produced this film (the photo here was taken by the late great Robert Frank) about the NLCR. John and I had some shouting matches during that adventure but I think it actually brought us closer in a weird way. A few years ago, Eric and I brought our daughter Allegra to visit John and we had an amazing visit with music, walks, and talking late into the night. He was brilliant and difficult and I really loved him, we all did. He was not exactly a peaceful guy but RIP John Cohen anyway.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:30:41 PM »
Indeed, a very sad bit of news. John's performance of "Rolling Mills Are Burning Down" led me to the very idiosyncratic work of one Mr. George Landers.
Thank you John, for your life's work that brought joy to so many!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »
Belated thanks and appreciation to John Cohen.  In addition to the great music he made himself, he was a tireless advocate for traditional musicians.  Without his curiosity and work, we would probably have never heard or heard or Roscoe Holcomb, Dillard Chandler, Sidna Meyers and many other great Old-Time musicians.  And what an outstanding photographer and film-maker, John Cohen was, as well!
John Miller

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal