collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What, is that like a crawdad? - Bill Williams, turning down the opportunity to partake in a crab feast

Author Topic: What are we listening to now?  (Read 10045 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: What are we listening to now?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Forgetful Jones, that is some beautiful and soulful singing, and Bert Hare's guitar had a pretty bright tone. The melody and chord progression of the song remind me a little bit of this song that Bill Monroe's brother, Charlie, recorded--"Rosalee McFall":

All best,
Johnm

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »
Hi John-
When posting the Bert Hare song, I tried to also describe his singing. The post was wordy & awkward so I deleted that part. "Beautiful & Soulful" sums it up perfectly. Glad you enjoyed it.

I never realized Bill Monroe had a musician brother.

Cheers!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2022, 01:48:11 PM »
Hi Forgetful Jones,
Yes, Bill and Charlie started out as a duo act, similar to the Blue Sky Boys, the Callahan Brothers or the Armstrong Twins. They were popular doing that, too, but had a falling out and went their separate ways, professionally. Here they are doing "Feast Here Tonight":

All best,
Johnm

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2022, 01:03:09 PM »
That is some fast pickin'! Thanks for sharing that one, John. I haven't really explored Bill Monroe beyond his Folkways album with Doc Watson. I'll dabble a little bit more now.

Cheers!

Offline eric

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »
This LP was my intro to Django.

--
Eric

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2022, 12:19:49 PM »
I have a playlist of 'Female Jazz Vocalists' ... that I keep in regular rotation.  It's a broad brush from the classic like Billie, Etta, Ella to more contemporary like Diana Krall or Norah Jones to young unknowns -- love them all.   The genre, which is genre bending, can serve as background music or mighty fine listening... the recording quality and studio musicians on modern jazz recordings is incredibly good -- so you need good earphones/headphones or speakers to fully appreciate IMO.

These women are by definition strong and independent, there are so many good songs, or albums, but here is Heather Rigdon, who was raised in the Pentecostal and generally not allowed to listen to secular music as a youth.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2022, 10:21:45 AM »
I saw both Bria Skonberg and Jen Hodge with their bands live before the shutdown and I suggest checking them out if you haven't done so already. Bria mentioned, "Jazz On A Summer's Day," and then proceeded to channel her inner Anita O'Day. (I see it's back up on YT.)

Offline eric

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2022, 03:16:20 PM »
One thing I find particularly cool about Thelonious Monk is that as he proceeds through a tune, my brain kind of anticipates a certain sound, but Monk always surprises with something unexpected but perfect.  I have no idea what he's doing technically, maybe one of you all can explain it. Anyway, he's a great and unique player.

--
Eric

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2022, 02:48:31 AM »
B.B .King, T-Bone Walker, Howlin' Wolf, Otis Rush. Plus some later guys, Jimi, SRV, EC, etc.
Learning to improvise on electric guitar at present. No guitar snobbery for me, I just wanna be an all-rounder on the guitar.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2022, 06:48:11 PM »
Well I managed to kill this thread stone dead by cleaving to 'music in general' rather than 'musical genres as a superior ideology"! FFS

Y'all should chill out a bit, get yourself a Strat and a tube screamer... you can still fingerpick acoustically later!

The two things are not mutually exclusive, unless you're a bit of a purist.

Good luck with that approach to music, you'll need it.  :P

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2022, 06:51:34 PM »
I will now fade away again for a while since I have stuff going on musically that is way more interesting.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2022, 07:52:30 PM »
Don't put any artificial limitations on yourself

Offline eric

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2022, 03:50:11 PM »
Well I managed to kill this thread stone dead
I thought that was my job.
--
Eric

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2022, 05:13:40 PM »
Rivers, I don't get what the problem was. Did you get dissed in some private messages? This thread is pretty hot and cold. Busy, slow, busy, ...

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2022, 08:24:44 PM »
David is right, the thread is not one to 'keep going' necessarily - just one to post to if you feel like it, with no judgement calls on what you might be listening to ... we all, I'm pretty sure, listen to a huge variety of stuff.  Just another small way to stay connected.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal