collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Rural musicians were very frequently no more than frustrated vaudevillians - Tony Russell, Blacks Whites and Blues, p.14

Author Topic: Buddy Boy Hawkins lyrics  (Read 10605 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Buddy Boy Hawkins lyrics
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2024, 01:32:49 PM »
I really like Buddy Boy Hawkins playing and singing. It's unique and instantly recognizable when you hear him. Good tone and a cool signature turnaround.

To my ear BBH played with the old-fashioned non-opposing right hand style, similar to Patton, Henry Thomas, Richard "Rabbit" Brown, Jim Jackson, William Harris and pretty much anyone else who covered Kansas City Blues. This would include Brownie McGhee and there is a YouTube video of him demonstrating how he originally played KCB as his first song on guitar, clearly in the non-opposing style, and then how he changed it to a new modern two finger style with pinching. He slips back into it as he continues the song.  Hard to get that driving syncopated rhythm while limited to pinching, or only upstrokes with the finger.

Wax

https://youtu.be/gkv0VdmieqA?si=GFZVhubvT0QrRVoG
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2024, 10:54:23 AM »
"White" would indicate innocence (especially since he identified her as brownskin in the same verse).

I've never encountered the word "wiped" in a blues song. That doesn't mean Hawkins didn't sing it.
I can live with "wiped" too. I find it hard to hear what Hawkins sang there.

Back from vacation!

I'm pretty sure the word in question there at the end of the second verse is "washed" – Hawkins tends to turn his A's into I's a bit. Also in the intro I would suggest "Now let's see" instead of "Honestly" –
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2024, 11:49:33 AM »
Thanks for the help, Chris! There was no danger of me getting either one of those fixes, but after re-listening a couple of times, I can hear they're both spot on. Changes have been made.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal