collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Kassie Jones - a masterpiece. Most surreal version of the Casey Jones theme. Keeps digressing into talk of other things. Freudian dream imagery - John Fahey, on Furry Lewis

Author Topic: Looking for a specific version of Nobody's Fault But Mine  (Read 1379 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Looking for a specific version of Nobody's Fault But Mine
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
Greetings, looking for some help finding a rendition (old 30s-40s recording) of Nobody's Fault But Mine by one of the old preacher guitar players, and the recording appeared maybe on a compilation?

About a year ago or so I came across the tune reading perhaps this forum, and there was a link in the thread that took me to a site that had all the songs listed and an mp3 sample of each.  I remember various artists in the listing.

I do know it's not one of the 'typical' players that have recorded this song.  I've tried searching here, and also a general google search, but couldn't find it.  I also went through the Document CDs on their site hoping to find it, but couldn't.

Does this song/link/thread topic ring a bell to anyone here?

...thanks, Tom

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Looking for a specific version of Nobody's Fault But Mine
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 12:17:03 PM »
Hi Tom,
That would be Blind Willie Johnson.  It was on the old "Rural Blues" set put out by RBF and curated by Samuel Charters.  It has since become available on all of the complete Blind Willie Johnson re-issues.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:10:27 AM »
Outside of the best known version by Willie Johnson, there's a good '40s recording by Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  These two mentioned are well-knowns, and this version I seek was by a male preacher, one whom I'd never heard of before, and I've been plugged into this music for over 40 years.

I'm not desperate to find it, but I'd heard it about a year ago and learned the song in that particular structure with slide, not as 'technical' as BWJ's version.  I just wanted to find it again and see how my version has changed compared to the source I used.

The problem with web searches is, most of the 'hits' are BWJ or some 'modern' performer who quite popular that happened to record the song.

The website with the sound sample listed a bunch of songs/performers, and you could click the little arrow to hear an mp3 sample (which is typical of many websites, I know).  And the focus of the compilation was preachers or guitar playing preachers from the old days, and it's not on the Document label.

...thanks again..Tom

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
Rev. Pearly Brown, maybe?

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 02:41:18 PM »
Thanks Chris, that might be it!  ...not 100% sure, cuz I sure play it different.   ^-^
Thanks all for your help.  Tom

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
Johnny Shines devastating take on it -

BTW Rev Pearly Brown recorded this song more than once.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
Hi all,
This is a thread from a couple of years back, but I wonder if the version I found by Bishop Perry Tillis might be the one that was being sought.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:23:47 PM »
HI, JOHN! Interesting post...
Just went to Weenie.com on a lark, and saw this post from yesterday.

I like your version: Bishop Perry Tillis. Solid beat and rhythm , some nice slide work.
I REALLY like the first version, by that street musician on that big-body guitar. Clear slide.

Just sayin'.
If one doesn't hear this kind of music, one never can realize the importance of the church in African American culture, and of music in the church. Powerful stuff.  I heard it growing up in NOLA.
Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 05:01:36 PM »
Hi Miller,
It's good to hear from you and see you around these parts.  Don't be a stranger!
All best,
Johnm

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal