collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My mama's gettin' old, hair is turnin' gray, you know it'd break her heart knowin' I'm livin' this-a-way - Charlie Patton, Screamin' and Hollerin' the Blues

Author Topic: Your main guitar(s)?  (Read 58234 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Your main guitar(s)?
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2008, 12:48:37 AM »
I imagine the Oahu jumbo is the same as the one I used own, lovely sweet tone.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2008, 07:04:28 AM »
dave i`ll try to sort it for you as soon as possible.i`m a bit new to all this technology stuff-new on line etc.it is very similar,well the same as the photo posted,beautiful thing.really superb sounding and a bargain compared to vintage gibson`s/martin`s.i`ll try to sort that photo.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »
Bump.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »
Here goes:     1968 Harmony Sovereign,    2005 Johnson Red Cliff 12 string tuned to standard B, Lead Belly style,     2002 Washburn 12, 1987 U.S. Stratocaster. The archtop in my profile pic was made in 06 by a local luthier, who also made my mandolin and fiddle. It is 22 inches across the lower bout, and hefty! Won't even mention the banjo, as I'm currently looking for a lighter one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:05:56 AM by frailer24 »
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline jonocymru

• Got a notion to take a walk out west...
    • http://www.therumblestrutters.com/
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2014, 02:42:59 PM »
So my two main guitars are a 1926 Gibson L-1 and a 1936 Kalamazoo KG-14. Heres some pics

Offline Big River

• jamesclem.com
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »
For gigging I use a Martin 000-18GE (Golden Era) guitar with a K & K pickup. I have found this to be a killer guitar with a vintage tone right of the box when brand new. The Golden Era models are a huge step up from the standard 000-18's sound wise in my opinion. The Adirondack top helps a lot. Sometimes I will use my 1942 Gibson L-00 which also has a K & K pickup.
For slide I like a 2005 National Polychrome steel body that has a very gritty tone with lots of sustain. I have a newer thinner steel National Tricone as well but those have a wood well that I think mellows out the tone too much and to me the older model is much more responsive. I use a Neumann KM-184 mic for the reso live.
If it is local gig I also have a Fraulini Angelina 12 string that is a wonderful guitar that has a (guess what?) K & K pickup. I use an LR Baggs DI with the K & K's.
 Oh, almost forgot my National Reso-Phonic ukulele with a koa body that is about ten years old. Audiences love the uke and it really makes for a nice variety when you play a few tunes on it.
James Clem
Portland, OR
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:56:08 PM by Big River »

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
Big River:

I've always wondered about the tone of the early '40's L-00. Can you compare it with a '30's one?

Alex

Offline Big River

• jamesclem.com
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
Big River:

I've always wondered about the tone of the early '40's L-00. Can you compare it with a '30's one?

Alex 
Hi Alex, My 1942 Gibson L-00 is one of the instruments that has a Kalamazoo top (but is X braced). These have a binding type ring on the inside of the sound hole like the Kalamazoo's. These tops are a bit thicker than what Gibson used in the 1930's so to me they are not as crisp in the treble and have a warmish tone. Someone told me that the bracing is different than the 1930's L-00's and I would not doubt it. The '42 has a bit more mid bass and a warmer tone than the 1930's models. I have had a couple of 1930's L-00's and to be honest I think I prefer the earlier models with their fast, bright tone but I have had the '42 for quite a while and hate to get rid of it. It has a great look with the black finish and a very yellowed multiple binding top and back. It even has the see through amber tuning buttons that are pretty cool and kinda rare. Hope this answers your question. Cheers.
James Clem
Portland, OR
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:54:21 PM by Big River »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2014, 12:31:16 PM »
So my two main guitars are a 1926 Gibson L-1 and a 1936 Kalamazoo KG-14. Heres some pics

So that must be an H-braced L-1, eh? Now that's a guitar I have always wanted to play. Neil Harpe told me they have a particularly dry sound, which I think would be a nice contrast in duet with a Stella. Supposedly Scrapper Blackwell is pictured with one and may have used it on his earliest recordings.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline jonocymru

• Got a notion to take a walk out west...
    • http://www.therumblestrutters.com/
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »

So that must be an H-braced L-1, eh? Now that's a guitar I have always wanted to play. Neil Harpe told me they have a particularly dry sound, which I think would be a nice contrast in duet with a Stella. Supposedly Scrapper Blackwell is pictured with one and may have used it on his earliest recordings.

Wax

It is A-Braced spruce top and birch back and sides, It has an archtop back (gibson used the leftover archtop backs on the first few runs) I can only assume they didn?t want to waste  hand carved birch pieces left over after the model changed!

It has a beautiful tone ()

This picture?

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
I have played both a '26 and 28 L-1, and both have a lovely tone. The A-braced 26 had a nice open midrange, while the H-braced 28 had more tightness to the bass. Myself, I'd love to have either. Nice contrast to a Stella.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »

Wax

Waxy: You played my H-braced L-1 at PT about 8 years ago.

Alex

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2014, 01:04:14 PM »
Well, dang, I must have forgotten that, Alex. How late at night was it? (wink)

It does sound nice on your video, Jon. And yes, that's the pic of Scrapper with one. I had never heard there was a difference between the A-braced and the H-braced, which I guess means that the two longitudinal braces are splayed and not parallel, eh? I had heard the earliest ones had arched backs, tho'. What a treat to play regularly.

But clearly, the difference in bracing between longitudinal and transverse, yet using similar tone woods, spruce/birch, would make for a very interesting duet. We'll have to try it if I ever get back to PT, Alex.

Thanks all for the replies.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2015, 04:07:03 PM »
My main guitar is now my new Gilet OO which is featured in a new thread here. I am at odds as to what I should do with it as it has no pickup in it, I want to do it but it would need a hole drilled in the bottom where a strap holder would normally be. Gerard Gilet is such a purist that he doesn't like pickups in his guitars. Sure it would be best to just have a very expensive mic in front but most venues don't suit that kind of setup. The hole may devalue the guitar by $500 or so. Has anyone some advice as to what I should do. I do have a good LR Baggs active pickup in my Cort that should fit. Or maybe there is a good pickup that does not require any hole at all that you could recommend. Keep in mind that I do play live gigs with the acoustics.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
Hi Arthur.

I would suggest, that in the instances where an external condenser microphone isn't practical, you could first try out a sounboard attached pickup, like the relatively affordable Schatten Dualie.

As it is attached on the sounboard on the outside of the instrument, it doesn't alter the instrument in any way.  You'll need an external preamp/ D.I. box as well. The L.R.Baggs Para D.I. has served me well for many years for that purpose. You'll be able to use this setup on any other instrument as well, if needed.

Cheers

Pan

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal