collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When your pal buys your gal a Coca-Cola, you can bet your life he's playing her Victrola. - Do It Right, Pigmeat Pete and Catjuice Charlie

Author Topic: Any suggestions for home recording????  (Read 631 times)

Offline onewilyfool

Any suggestions for home recording????
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »
Hi Guys, I've been recording with simple mics and a Zoom recorder/video, but want to play around more with sound editing, multiple line recordings (voice mic, guitar mics, on-board pickups, etc) and wonder how some of you have set up your home recording setups. I want to keep it REALLY simple, but any suggestions for equipment or software will be appreciated....Moderator, if this is in the wrong section, please move to the right one, thanks.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Any suggestions for home recording????
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:36:20 PM »
It#ll definitely be the wrong section.... ;)

Take a look at Audacity.  Very good, free sound editor  / recording software.

Generally though, to get multiple channels recording, you have to start spending money on a soundcard / interface in order to avoid latency.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 05:13:07 AM »
+1 on Audacity..been using it for years w/ a single Shure mic. .. very simple, which fits my purposes.  Tom

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 08:18:34 AM »
I use Audacity, and like it a lot for editing material from tapes. It works fine for two tracks, but when it comes to recording from multiple inputs, it might be easiest to get a separate mixer -- the one I have was made by Yamaha, and mixes down 4 inputs into 2. For multitrack recording, you need to invest quite a bit more, and the whole process is a lot trickier. (Translation: I don't know how to do it).

Lyle

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »
There are lots of units on the market designed for hooking up multi track recording to computers.  They are known as digitial audio interfaces or sometimes DAWs.  Makes such as Line 6, Lexicon, E-Mu and focusrite seem to be the big names.  They have at least 2, sometimes more channel inputs, and connect to your pc.  They tend to come bundled with Cubase or something similar for editing and will have outputs, monitoring etc.

Cost from about ?130 upwards- so is very much a step on from recording one channel into audacity.

I know this because I recently invested in a Lexicon U22 and a nice condenser mic :D

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal