collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got to get drunk, Vi. I'm going to play with Big Joe - Ransom Knowling tells his wife what it takes to play with Big Joe Williams, quoted in Deep South Piano by Karl Gert zur Heide

Author Topic: DIY guitar  (Read 11478 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: DIY guitar
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 09:04:34 PM »
This may sound too stupid to work BUT in my long experience with spraying various varnishes and fixatives I've found that an ordinary off the shelf aerosol can, often applies a more even and manageable coat than other more elaborate methods. The trick seems to be successive light coats. Failing that a fine badger hair blending fan brush can do wonders. Make sure you're getting the lacquer thin enough, and USE A MASK & adequate ventilation. Lacquer thinner is very bad news!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:12:58 AM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 12:33:36 AM »
Wow, somebody who knows about these things  :)

I did think about an aerosol in the beginning, but over here in Guernsey on Sea I couldn't find anything... which is really about par for the course  ^-^ hence my trial at "proper" spraying! The brush I have is very fine, there might be a bald squirrel or two hopping about and I'll carry on with that for the time being - the lacquer is water based so no thinners are needed.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 06:22:38 AM »
I haven't used a water based lacquer, but my experience with other water based varnishes and coatings is that water NEVER disperses things completely uniformly (unless there's an egg yolk involved). It could be my own incompetence in applying the stuff, but give me organic & petro solvents anyday.  Distilled water might be a good idea however.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 10:44:06 AM »
No choice, it comes ready mixed to use brush or spray right out of the pot which is something in itself  :D

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 12:58:19 PM »
Well if you are still with the saga I gave up on the spraying, returned to the brush and whilst the finish is not perfect it will do............ I have made a nut, saddle etc etc and just bolted the neck on but decided to hold off gluing the fingerboard on till tomorrw when my brain will be sharper.

So, I advise either listening out for the screams when it all folds up under the string tension or hopefully some nice pics to show the thing complete and who knows even a sound file   :P

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 08:45:44 AM »
I should have been doing the sound files from the weenie weekend  :-X but instead I opted to have final go at this!

It's all strung up, but I have not really played it as yet although the bass does sond rather good!

It still needs one more job to finish and that's a bone saddle as the one I had had a hairline crack, oh sugar etc! I stuffed a maple one on for now in all the excitement, but with the steep break angle (because it's a squareneck with a high action) it does look as though it's quite some pressure..... :o 

However, all that said here it is and I think I'll just leave it under  a certain amount of tension untill the saddle is properly sorted so the sound test will have to wait........... which will of course give me time to finish those weenie sound files...... ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
Well, that came out looking rather nice, didn't it?  Congratulations!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 10:27:33 AM »
Bet you had fun sniffing the lacquer....very nice job indeed!

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 11:23:08 AM »
Mmmmh, I think that's what the penguin runs on as well !!!

I'll do the sound files now!!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 12:17:15 PM »
Looks great Richard - congrats!

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
Nice one.  I got a book on guitar making but doubt i'll eve have the time or nerve to try it.  Im guessing you have some woodworking skills laready richard?

We need sound samples by the way!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 12:55:14 AM »
Well done, Richard.  You should be proud of yourself.  Look forward to hearing what it sounds like.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 09:21:05 AM »
Well this is it...........  :-X I'm getting used to it a bit and just messing about in C, it keeps going out of tune but it is settling down I suppose so that's to be expected and it has a very loud bass dept!!

NS.... go for it!!! I used to HATE working with wood, I was an engineer type with mills, lathes and all that then back in the 80s we bought this crumbling house of 1640 or something and I had to teach myself to get to grips with it..... so I became hooked on wood although I am more of a "wood machinist" than joiner, but have go if I can do it, you can do it!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 12:14:09 PM »
That looks utterly COOL! I gots ta tell ya; I am so bleeping sick of Martin clones (who tf needs 'em?) that your aesthetic choices gladden my jaded ol' eyes. Fine choice for pickguard shape too, and bridge. Sounds fine too. Seventy five years from now someone will pick this up at your grandkids garage sale ( if they aren't players that is) and go nuts tryin' to figure out what it is. Hell of a first outing I'd say. Congratulations.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »
Well thanks - I have to say I'm right with you on the Martin clone syndrome, the shape was more than a bit adventurous for a first build and it came close to the bin after my trial of steaming the sides! I know the finish is not perfect but think I'll let it all mature for a few weeks then when the lacqeur is really hard give it a de-nub and maybe a final coat with old brush ;) 

I have aquired some special "bendy" thin ply and if I get bored I might (might) just make that single cone resonator I fancied but I'm told I have other jobs about the house first  :-\

Now I MUST do those sound clips of the weekend  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:21:21 PM by Richard »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal