collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The water broke out in the morning time. We could hear it when it broke, just like a 'Boom!' It busted the levee through. And the water was coming. We could hear the river roaring. People was hollering, 'The levee broke! Get ready and get out!' - David Honeyboy Edwards, April 15 1927, from his bio

Author Topic: Which Charley Patton (and other blues "originals") recordings?  (Read 3749 times)

Offline misterjones

Re: Which Charley Patton (and other blues "originals") recordings?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
I don't think anybody has mentioned the JSP set. It's complete, I think it has pretty good to excellent sound, although not tarted up like Pristine, and it has the ancillaries like the Son House and Willie Brown sides that were recorded alongside Patton. And it's cheap for all you get.

I did an extensive Patton CD comparison awhile back, and my recollection is that the JSP essentially is a clone (ripoff?) of the Revenant set.  I'm not a fan of the Revenant set, but many are.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:51:47 AM by misterjones »

Offline CF

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 06:28:53 AM »
If you're serious about Patton you have to have one of the complete collections (Document, Revenant, JSP) & then the Yazoos for their superior sound.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
I did an extensive Patton CD comparison awhile back, and my recollection is that the JSP essentially is a clone (ripoff?) of the Revenant set.  I'm not a fan of the Revenant set, but many are.

The Revenant set is fabulous for the written materials it contains, not so great for the sonic properties. The set was compiled without full access to the original 78s in questions, and the engineers who worked on it had to settle in some cases for transfers submitted to them that varied widely in terms of the sonic qualities. In a few cases, they had to put a prom dress on a pig, so to speak, simply because they had no choice but to work with a submitted sub-par transfer.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »
If you're serious about Patton you have to have one of the complete collections (Document, Revenant, JSP) & then the Yazoos for their superior sound.

Don't the two Yazoos together constitute a complete set?

I also like having a decent noise-reduced set for those occasions you want to listen to some Patton without the snap, crackle and pop.

Offline Papa Pea Vine Patton

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »
What the Yazoo's miss are mainly the handful of  tracks that Patton played guitar accompaniment on and didn't sing.    Plus one or two alternates.

I have some other Patton sets but I don't really play them.   The Yazoo's are my go to for the sound quality and having all what I want to listen to when it comes to just him.

Another issue that crops up with some  Patton reissues is speed.    There are transfersout there  that are noticeably off pitch.     Some of the originals I don't think were recorded dead on at 78 rpm.    We must remember that in Patton's time this was the case with many records.     The true playing speed can vary by RPM's, and if you play them at 78, it's not correct.       Yazoo is excellent at pitching records properly.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »
Has not everything been said on this topic that there is to say--not once but several times?  Enough.

Offline Papa Pea Vine Patton

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 08:20:35 AM »
Has not everything been said on this topic that there is to say--not once but several times?  Enough.

Got boweevil's in your field or what?

Relax, son.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 07:54:43 PM »
This thread has been done to death, and as if we had to prove it we have a newbie with a whole eight ( 8 ) posts under their belt calls a respected founder member 'son'? That's pretty hilarious.

Suggest you come back when you've read a little more, sunbeam.

PS here's another tip. There's no need to type 10 spaces between each sentence. One would be quite sufficient.
PPS We will try to remember your points about variable speeds, thank you so much for enlightening us, gosh, I for one had absolutely no idea.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:56:05 PM by Rivers »

Offline misterjones

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »
I, for one, am prone to repeating myself (on line and in everyday conversation).  A review of this thread proves this. 

But I appreciate it when people give me a bit of leeway in that regard or politely nudge my sensitive nature in the right direction, especially when there has been a passage of several months between my pontifications and I've simply forgotten what I said before.

In the next several days, I will be extending my Patton (and Jefferson) comparisons to my recently purchased LPs.  I am now a bit concerned about posting these results, as I undoubtedly will be repeating myself to some degree.  The downside of a slap upside the head, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:12:10 AM by misterjones »

Offline Charleypattonfan1924

• Hi
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
I like Pattons original 78s from vocalion and paramount

Gayle dean wardlows friend creighton
Creighton w

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal