collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I played all through Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama and around in Kentucky and places, but I never played in Texas, but I played all over the cotton belt countries - Howlin' Wolf, interview with Pete Welding, Chicago, ca. 1967, I Sing For The People: An Interview with Howlin' Wolf, Down Beat, 14 Dec 1967

Author Topic: Lifting the Veil: Rev. Gary Davis & Peers (new World Arbiter CD)  (Read 4766 times)

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
Re: Lifting the Veil: Rev. Gary Davis & Peers (new World Arbiter CD)
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
He rose above the ugliness of this world in a way that is truly inspiring.

'Lord I'm having a mighty heap of trouble tryin to get home.'

'I'm fire baptized and I'm Holy Ghost filled.
I'm just here to do my master's will.
I must keep going I can't keep still.'

'Hey Glory, how happy I am.'

What more can I say?  Rev. Davis knew what is real and what is not.  I think the answer to Mr. O'muck's fourth question is 'yes'

Mike

Mike

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 06:06:54 PM »
One of the few redeeming qualities of our species is its near magical ability to create art under the most gruesome circumstances imaginable, from slavery to Aushwitz. The fact that beauty can emerge from almost hopeless situations is profoundly moving to me.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Doug

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »
Just bumping this thread to mention that Big Road Blues has a write-up (and a couple of samples) from the new CD...

http://sundayblues.org/archives/115

Offline NevadaPic

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »
I ordered said CD and received it last week.  A nice compilation for sure.  "Poor Boy" by Gus Cannon and Blind Blake is a standout in my mind.  Very appealing slide playing and vocals...  The Reverend's work captured on the compilation is very well done. 

Pic
If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one so don't be late...

arbiter

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »
The parallel tales of Leonardo and Rev. Davis suggest rites of initiation. We well know what they accomplished afterwards, the mystery being how this was "arranged", who or what was behind this. And that shall probably remain a mystery unless someone working on the genome project detects a Bermuda triangle within us leading to other dimensions (contact with the non-living being the most likely). It is hard to contend with this kind of phenomenon due to its irrational side but it's a prevalent experience, especially among our Native Americans in their sweat lodges. As long as I live, I will never forget the last words Davis spoke to me after a lesson (and I had no idea it was our final moment of contact), when asking him what he meant as he suddenly began talking in tongues: "You're all filled with joy, and you're above your own understanding without speaking."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:47:39 PM by arbiter »

Offline jostber

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 02:50:36 AM »
That's a great saying! How was Rev.Davis as a teacher?

Another of his students:

arbiter

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 03:37:46 PM »
How was Rev.Davis as a teacher?

So patient, precise, making sure you heard every note, nuance, and only when it was in the hand would you go ahead with the piece. When you played something accurately, he seemed pleased, which was the greatest motivation for a student, giving you the confidence to do your best, practice a great deal, and do better than you would have otherwise. The words of praise he offered last a lifetime!

My great regret is that we went to him to learn mere notes, never bothering to ask him how he made his choices as a composer and arranger, what he based some material on. This whole dimension remains obscure, hopefully fragments will turn up in taped conversations/lessons. Surprises never end.

best,
Allan

Offline jostber

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 11:27:12 PM »
Thanks for these reminisces on Rev. Davis.

I think that these sessions has some of the greatest gospel blues singing ever:

Gospel, Blues and Street Songs

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »
IMHO that's his best post 78 album.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »
IMHO that's his best post 78 album.

You might well be right there.  It's a cracking album.  I think the 77 Records release "Pure Religion and Bad Company" is also a contender for "best" RGD album.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline NevadaPic

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »
Folks,

Check out 'Sun of Our Life' also by Arbiter...  Some most excellent work of the Reverend's on the CD and obscure from the mainstream.  He was a Saint or a Boddhisattva if you prefer.  Ya'll who actually knew him and interacted with him were in the presence of greatness.  I envy you for your experience with the Reverend.

Pic
If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one so don't be late...

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »
Well, I heard a few stories that made the Rev seem more down to earth than that. Not criticizing or anything, just saying I believe he was as human as you or I.

Offline NevadaPic

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 09:40:13 AM »
Well, I heard a few stories that made the Rev seem more down to earth than that. Not criticizing or anything, just saying I believe he was as human as you or I.
Ain't it the truth.  I am familiar with the Reverend's human foibles through reading accounts from people who were associated with him.  He didn't mind a drink of liquor, he obviously liked the ladies, he always had a cigar or cigarette in his mouth.  None of that takes away from his spirituality or his decency as a human being.  The flesh, after all, is weak, but his spirit was strong and it comes out in his music.

Pic

Tags: Rev. Gary Davis 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal